• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tales of Zestiria the X

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
As far as pure spectacle goes, if there's a show this season that's doing it better, I haven't seen it. Damn, that was awesome. Same for lighting effects. If there was any doubt in people's minds that ufotable is among the best in the industry when it comes to that, surely this series has dispelled that notion. My only real issue story wise is that it seems a bit slow-paced for a single cour show, unless they're planning on making this a split cour. I just hope we can get a satisfying conclusion.

Last edited by Sahmbahdeh on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Last episode jumped this up from 'watchable' to 'good' for me. Hopefully the trend continues!
ChaseM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
As far as pure spectacle goes, if there's a show this season that's doing it better, I haven't seen it. Damn, that was awesome. Same for lighting effects. If there was any doubt in people's minds that ufotable isn't among the best in the industry when it comes to that, surely this series has dispelled that notion. My only real issue story wise is that it seems a bit slow-paced for a single cour show, unless they're planning on making this a split cour. I just hope we can get a satisfying conclusion.

I read that it will be split cour, with this half being 13 episodes and the second half being 12 episodes during the 2017 Winter season.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Weird, this episode was the one I liked the least so far.
I just felt it sort of lacked the usual good atmosphere and interactions the series has had so far, and instead had the usual cliché, average plot.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
As far as pure spectacle goes, if there's a show this season that's doing it better, I haven't seen it.

Apparently you haven't been watching Re: Zero. (A case could probably be argued for Kuromukuro, too, though I'm not yet current on the last couple of episodes.)

If you're only talking about new shows this season, though, then I would probably agree with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Makes me want to play the game again.

Wasn't expecting this part to be as epic as this and also armatization already. I thought it might have followed the game and when all those slimes are in the sewers we would see the armatize.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I find it ironic that she was sitting/sleeping in front of the Holy Sword for god knows how long without people realizing she existed. I also like how the show didn't portray her as a cliche omniscient observer that we typically see in anime but rather a victim of humanity's corruption who is desperately searching for the hero to save the day. She was also kind enough to act like a normal person and confirm with Sorey's intention. They introduced her perfectly and she is now my favorite character.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
As far as pure spectacle goes, if there's a show this season that's doing it better, I haven't seen it.

Apparently you haven't been watching Re: Zero. (A case could probably be argued for Kuromukuro, too, though I'm not yet current on the last couple of episodes.)

If you're only talking about new shows this season, though, then I would probably agree with you.

I have been watching Re:Zero, actually. Just got caught up last week. While Re:Zero is emotionally wrenching, suspenseful and intriguing, it's not exactly what I'd consider a spectacle, as such. But I digress.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
she is now my favorite character.

This isn't a spoiler, but just a quirk of Lailah's you'll come to like or dread as everyone else (including the characters). Just a rhetorical question that's a playful joke, lol.

spoiler[Do you like puns? Razz]

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Well, no surprises here – of course Sorey is he who can pulleth out that sacred sword, making him the Shepherd of legend. If we're being honest, I'm pretty sure all of us were expecting that particular turn of events.

Just a misconception to clear in general with [chosen one] stories like these:

Viewer perspective =/= In-world characters perspective

If it hadn't been for the fact that Sorey lived in a village by himself (with unseen beings as the Serpahim), no one in the world itself would have guessed it was Sorey who would pull the sword out. Barring just Alisha who could have pondered the thought if she put the pieces together, but there was no guarantee that he would be the one even though he could see the Seraphim.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:
Just a misconception to clear in general with [chosen one] stories like these:

Viewer perspective =/= In-world characters perspective

Not really a misconception because nobody thinks that. "No surprises here" unambiguously refers to viewer perspective. See "all of us" to dispel any doubts...unless you think Rebecca believes we're all in-world characters. oO

I mean, Alisha and the merchant girl are about the only in-world characters who even know Sorey exists, so there's not really anyone to be shocked that he (as opposed to any other random person in the world) is the Shepherd. They're more shocked that anyone is the Shepherd.

I think my favorite part of this episode was that she literally froze time so she could have her conversation with him (albeit a little late for my tastes), instead of just totally ignoring the urgency of the situation. Not sure I've ever seen that happen before for exposition reasons. Smile It was especially nice because I could focus on their interaction rather than the klaxons in my head urging them to hurry it up because the hellbeast was destroying everything while they were having their chat.
Evernessince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
I find it ironic that she was sitting/sleeping in front of the Holy Sword for god knows how long without people realizing she existed. I also like how the show didn't portray her as a cliche omniscient observer that we typically see in anime but rather a victim of humanity's corruption who is desperately searching for the hero to save the day. She was also kind enough to act like a normal person and confirm with Sorey's intention. They introduced her perfectly and she is now my favorite character.

It's just a shame they couldn't cast the original voice actor Miyu Matsuki (acute Pneumonia at age 38) for Laila. Out of all the game's original voice actors, her performance was the best.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
Evernessince wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:

It's just a shame they couldn't cast the original voice actor Miyu Matsuki (acute Pneumonia at age 38) for Laila. Out of all the game's original voice actors, her performance was the best.

I didn't play the game but the current voice actress for Laila is doing a damn fine job as well.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
My past experiences with watching game adaptions haven't been all too pleasant but this show looks absolutely gorgeous, plus story and characters have been pretty interesting so far.

And unlike one of the previous commenters, i love the previews, especially Mikleo's goofy yet adorable expressions . Laughing
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

But she's a Seraphim. No one can see them except other Seraphim and Sorey. That's why no one believed in them anymore. They couldn't even see the hellion flying around.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So apparently the title of this show is pronounced Tales of Zesitiria the Cross not Tales of Zestiria the Ex.

I've known that from the start but I still keep pronouncing it wrong. Same as how I keep thinking everyone is apologizing when they talk about the hero.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19