• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Best and Worst Manga of 2016 Results - Comic-Con International

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
This list is so weird in every way possible.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
Bleach, huh. That's a funny way to spell World Trigger. Wink

Good for Haikyuu but poor Black Clover. There are definitely a lot of manga out there worse than it, but I guess those just don't get English volumes released. Sporting Salt comes to mind.
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Yay Haikyu!! So excited that it made the list, cause it really is an awesome manga/anime series to show to people new to manga/anime. Now if Sentai Filmworks would just release an English dub for Haikyu!!. It may be in the works as they just recently had a poll asking if it should get an English dub, but who knows? Here's hoping Very Happy
lys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
http://tumblr.iamdavidbrothers.com/post/147983622277/bestworst-manga-2016

David Brothers (one of the panelists) posted this about his picks and why he picked them. Whether you agree or not, I think the reasons behind lists like these are always more helpful than just a simple "best/worst" tag.
TheJaceX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Okay screw the worst manga category, Black Clover isn't a bad series, it isn't particularly groundbreaking but it's still a solid Battle Shonen. And only one volume is out, has a series ever shown it's best in volume 1?

Also Bleach isn't underrated, World Trigger is.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It is interesting to read those explanations (and I would disagree about Black Clover going nowhere, but that it needed time to find its own identity). Some of these explanations are bizarre and difficult to understand though, namely "[W]hat Kubo is doing with style in Bleach is all-time, like if an art comix cat got really into shonen and spent years trying to draw the illest things ever."

marshmallowpie wrote:
Good for Haikyuu but poor Black Clover. There are definitely a lot of manga out there worse than it, but I guess those just don't get English volumes released. Sporting Salt comes to mind.

Sporting Salt did get its first three chapters officially translated into English on Viz's Shonen Jump, but it was removed and quietly forgotten.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
My gut response whenever I read Black Clover continues to be: "Soulless mediocrity".

The soulless part started with its initial chapters where it kept throwing together elements from various series to see what sticks. It did eventually move away from that practice, but my primary annoyance with the series changed to something else: the character depth is still pretty lacking. The characters in this series are closer to single, or sometimes a pair of, personality traits in motion, than they are to being actual people in some world.

The mediocrity part. I'm not invoking that silly descriptor inflation that goes around on the internet or in magazines where a person says 'average' to mean 'bad' or '7/10 really means god awful'. By mediocrity I mean moderate, ordinary, average, neutral, barely adequate. Outside of my complaint about how the characters are written, I wouldn't say there's really anything actively bad. There's nothing I would praise the story for, but there's nothing that stands out to me as technically wrong. The art's ok. The choreography's ok. The kind of 'ok' where you're not giving a thumbs up or a thumbs down, but instead just stick your hand out flat and parallel to the ground, then... slowly shake it left and right a bit while saying 'ehhhh'.
So there ya go. I'll never call it a good series, but setting aside how annoyed I can be at how it's doing well in WSJ, I can't just call it a truly bad series and maintain intellectual honesty. The 'soulless' tag can be rather damning on its own, but it's the sort of thing that's more bothersome for those who've already read more stuff.
dreamingsamurai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
This also caught me by surprise:

Best Continuing Manga Series for Grown-ups
Planetes by Makoto Yukimura (Dark Horse Comics)

I guess an omnibus release 10+ years after the last US publication can be considered a continuing series...?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
OniTasku wrote:
From years past, many of the panels hadn't even read manga represented in the 'worst' category. It was based on kneejerk reactions that get from social media or hearsay from friends/colleagues. Some of their choices across the board a bit suspect, but it has been that way since they started doing it. This is very much the panelists tastes and presences, and doesn't seem to play into the larger audience whatsoever.

Very few people seem to be able to make the distinction between a work being bad and them just not liking it. If they've read it at all and aren't just going by hearsay and/or picking it (fairly or otherwise) to represent a trend they don't like, as you say. I don't really mind if they say that they didn't like, say, Servant X Service, which I'm rather fond of. If it doesn't suit their tastes, fair enough. To each their own. I just wish they'd say so, rather than leaving the uninformed public - the people who reviews are for - with the mistaken impression there's something wrong with it quality-wise.
jree78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Servant X Service is funny I have all four manga volumes on my ipad.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
For manga experts some of them sure seem out of touch with it. They seem to have ancient tastes, choosing Furuba and other old (completed!) manga for best continuing series. Read something newer like A Bride's Tale.

Servant x Service was a lovely anime, but the manga wasn't as good. I remember that happening to me once with the Princess Tutu manga. I love the anime, but the manga is the worst piece of crap adaptation I've ever read. It stripped out everything special about the anime, didn't cover it all, made no friggin sense even within its own hackneyed story, and had crappy artwork to boot. Ugh.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket is getting a sparkly new rerelease, which I think makes it relevant again for existing fans and a new generation of readers who missed out the first time. Same for Planetes. A Bride's Story was on the panel's "best continuing for adults" list in 2013. (not sure if they had the same categories in 2011 but it was selected by that year's panel too.)
Felcis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
TheJaceX wrote:
Okay screw the worst manga category, Black Clover isn't a bad series, it isn't particularly groundbreaking but it's still a solid Battle Shonen. And only one volume is out, has a series ever shown it's best in volume 1?

Also Bleach isn't underrated, World Trigger is.

Black Clover isn't totally bad, but it suffers from a terribly annoying and unlikeable main protagonist who is basically Naruto without the interesting and admirable traits. Otherwise it is serviceable, tough everything the series does has been done before and better.

Completely agree on WorldTrigger though, it might be one of the most underrated currently running manga, partially also because of the lackluster Toei-adaptation. It has some of the most interesting battles I have ever read in the medium and also some amazing (and for the genre, very unusual) character-writing.
The start is a bit slow and unimpressive but otherwise I can recommend it to everyone who wants to read a shonen-battle manga that handles things more with smarts and less with raw power and burning passion (though it can also be funny as heck).

The only real explanation for Bleach being on the list would be that those panelists have only read early parts of most series and then somehow compared those experiences with the, more negative general opinion on the current state of the series.
COREY2293

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
Bleach is so underrated... i reccomend you sit down and read it as a Volume.

Go read the volume with Yhwach vs Ichibei
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
I love bleach and I regularly disagree with the Ann reviewers who are trying to trash it. I don't care how much of an outsider that makes me here m you can go all suck m... Umm anyway but this list is completely a joke. Bleach underrated? Who hasn't read bleach or has at least heard of it?
Makes no sense if anything the latest arc is very underappreciated and trashed by elitist weaboos which drew away many potential readers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5