• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mob Psycho 100 (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Mezato has more personality and seems cuter than the other girl Mob is hung up on.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Teru's awesome, love the way he beat up those hunks like it was a walk in the park.

Not much action from Mob this week but that's fine. I find the way that he reacted to the "love letter" to be priceless. Also, I'm pretty sure Tenga's character is a reference to Josuke from Diamond is Unbreakable especially with that look.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
LMAO that episode was straight up hilarious Anime hyper Body Improvement Club was especially entertaining "I found this note under a dumbbell" lol "Under the 45s would have been funnier, but still good. As far as Mezato goes, I actually like her. She seems like she's gonna cause Mob some problems, but also looks like she's going to develop a lot as a character.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
The Body Improvement Club are pretty cool guys, they don't believe in fruitless violence, yet are quick to jump in and help their team member, Mob. Felt a little sad that the guy would beat them up like that. I do wonder how Mob will react to a person who does use their powers for violence against other people.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
episode four

I'm wondering if Dimple is going to be a permanent addition. It's kind of neat that Mob has essentially picked up a devil on his shoulder after his outburst at the LOL meeting. This coinciding with the appearance of another psychic is a pretty effective raise of the stakes.

On the other side of the coin, I'm kind of disappointed with the typical brothers/friends-both-envious-of-the-other set up. Hopefully, the show manages to actually make that interesting in the future, but it was the weak point of this episode.

As much as this show's animation is impressive, I'm finding that my favorite moments never come from the animation. I wouldn't have called during the first episode. For instance, the letters were easily the funniest moment in this one despite that element having some of the least stylized delivery in the episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

One of the best fights I've seen so far this year. Mob vs Teru...so classic and I just love the exchange between the two. The directing is done by Kenichi Fujisawa and I think he did a very good job at it. Very stylistic.

I also really like the music of the episode too and..lol, Teru's hair. Just fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
episode 5

Early on I was kind of waiting for Mob to fight back, but then I kind of realised. Mob taking the high road and not fighting back was kind of awesome on his part, it was showing that he is a better person. I could actually sympathise with this show of strength with my own experience, of trying to hold back from bullying while clinging to the idea. It is quite sad in Mob's case that when he lost consciousness that he lost all control and did the vicious thing he so tried to stop.

Also Teru voice actor. Did anyone else think of a certain character from Re:Zero? ("you are truly slothful") Well I tend to think of Yoshitsugu Matsuoka with Kirito, the guy we tend to think of as condensed main character traits, which made his portrayal as Teru, a guy who thinks of himself as the main character and perhaps filled the negative frame of mind attached to that idea of a character, all the more kind of powerful.

I think that the episode was actually pretty special, it kind of reminded me of the episode in One Punch Man where we had spoiler[Mumen Rider fighting the Deep Sea King]. An episode that felt like it challenged the very nature of might makes right and what makes a hero as part of the shounen genre.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
episode five

I'm bailing. My first (and potentially only) drop of the season. The show was always on the edge for me, considering ONE's sense of humor just doesn't work for me the vast majority of the time, but it was pretty unique so I've kept at it.

I could make an endless litany of complaints, but rather than ramble I'll stick with one: Is there anything more pathetically banal and frustratingly stupid than to try to make some big point out of, "If you were different, you would be different"? Where does that game even stop? Of course people affected by their circumstances in life and their latent talents and weaknesses. Doing something interesting with that requires far more than pointing out that this exists. Instead, we get some insufferable stoner rambling, "Like... dude... under your clothes... you're naked... like... woah." A person is insecure if all their sources of security are stripped away? What news! It'd be more interesting to see what sort of life Teru had lead that pushed him down his line of thinking, but he's just a cheaply constructed moral strawman villain there to prove a point so it doesn't matter. We could go into how Mob's seemingly pleasant middle class upbringing factors heavily into his perceptions of power structures, but the show isn't really interested in thinking things through, is it?

Yes, yes. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but then there wasn't much more to the episode. They eschewed an actual fight to make a point. ONE's humor isn't funny to me, but it wasn't even that prevalent in the episode, anyway, for those that do. Our big character scene only had one well developed character, the other was just there to represent a "wrong" perspective. I'm not sure what else I might have liked... aside from the animation which was excellent as always, but not enough to carry the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
If you didn't see an "actual fight," I have to ask what would have qualified as such for your approval? oO Was it because they weren't actively fighting toe to toe at the same time? They still blew stuff up real good! Very Happy

But if all you took away from that episode was "a person is insecure if all their sources of security are stripped away," then you've probably chosen wisely to drop this and stop making yourself miserable. Smile I am surprised though, because you're usually quite good at seeing the layers and nuances of things that aren't spelled out.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, to qualify it as a fight I would want them actively fighting toe to toe. I kind of think that's what defines something as a actual fight to me, as opposed to falling elsewhere under the larger umbrella of conflict. There was plenty of the latter in the episode, just nothing I'd qualify as the former. That, in and of itself, is fine and not a complaint, just an observation.

Also, I didn't want to ramble off all my complaints. Yes, there's more to the scene but to be clear I don't think anything else about it is any better (minus the animation). Layers don't help when they're layers of crap. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
^
Yeah, to qualify it as a fight I would want them actively fighting toe to toe. I kind of think that's what defines something as a actual fight to me, as opposed to falling elsewhere under the larger umbrella of conflict.

You don't think that there was a battle of ideals (a fight) between these two characters. Kind of the whole point of it ironically was to show that him giving into a physical fight that goes against his ideals would be him losing to the point of view that might makes right, something often shown as the very reason the protagonists often fight against, but actually give into.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
Ok, I see. To me "conflict" is two sides standing around arguing (or all-out warfare between armies). At the personal, face-to-face level, when conflict escalates to actively trying to kill your opponent (whether or not your opponent fights back effectively or at all), that crosses over into fight territory for me, especially when it's accompanied by the wanton destruction of your surroundings. Smile

I guess the tl:dr summary would be that, generally speaking, interpersonal conflict doesn't result in physical damage to people or things, where fights do.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
You don't think that there was a battle of ideals (a fight) between these two characters. Kind of the whole point of it ironically was to show that him giving into a physical fight that goes against his ideals would be him losing to the point of view that might makes right, something often shown as the very reason the protagonists often fight against, but actually give into.

It seems like all this focus on the words "actual fight" have thrown off the debate to the point where you have repeated back to me the exact point I made when I used those words, apparently without even noticing. My original words, after all, were: They eschewed an actual fight to make a point.

And, to defend my usage of words just a bit here: Note the fact you have put "of ideals" after the word "battle". Why would you need to do that, if there was a plain old battle? You wouldn't. You needed to invoke a metaphor, instead. That said, if it would make everyone happier, just pretend I said "direct, uninhibited, mutual combat" instead of "actual fight". I am bit frustrated that one little choice of words has apparently distracted away from everything else I said.

I could ramble on about how the episode makes a genuinely terrible argument against might makes right, but, in the spirit of the show, I'm resisting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

This week's episode was interesting. Not much action but the focus on Tenga (RIP perfect attendance record) and Ritsu. Speaking of which, that cliffhanger should be an interesting follow-up for next time.

And lol, the Telepathy Club just never seems to give up, do they? Always looking for new members still...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:46 am Reply with quote
Lots of invisible pressures put on people, and the worst are probably the people who take it out on others. Tenga might be rough, and he got Mob mixed in on something that should not have happened, but he kind of apologised, and despite what Ritsu saw he was not picking on people he thinks are weaker, in fact he had good attendance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5