• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Regalia Anime Halts Broadcast After Episode 4, Will Restart Airing in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
Well I don't know if Funimation saw this coming but this might be the reason why Regalia didn't get a broadcast dub which is a shame since I'm really enjoying it. Confused
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
The show must have ran into some serious quality issues for this to happen. I hope Regalia will look worlds better upon its re-airing.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
^ It doesn't seem like it was a visual issue...the anime actually was visually one of the best of the season IMO
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Jeez. Moved to the next cour after four episodes? Even Jiggly Jiggly Heaven wasn't on that level.

Ha. I got that reference.

Too bad this happened. I liked this anime. Hopefully it does really return.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The show must have ran into some serious quality issues for this to happen. I hope Regalia will look worlds better upon its re-airing.

Kougeru wrote:
^ It doesn't seem like it was a visual issue...the anime actually was visually one of the best of the season IMO

In all likelihood, the talk of lesser than expected quality on the existing episodes is spin, and the reality is that something (or someone) has buggered up the production process such that they actually cannot complete the next episode - or at least not to any kind of minimum standard.
Muffum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
Well that's... interesting. It's a shame, since I was enjoying the series well enough, but I guess there's not much I can do about it at this point other than hope for things to go as well as they can from here on out for the production staff.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
I actually watched the first episode because I love the mecha sci-fi subgenre but I found the story subpar at best. What I will say is that it looked very nice, so I'm curious as to how much the quality dropped. It's a shame that this is not an exception by any means: a majority of the shows put all their effort into the first three-four episodes and then you have to wait till the last two to see even half of that quality again: I know this is done because they need to hook you in from the start but honestly I prefer when those first episodes are more similar to what follows afterwards and the budget is more evenly distributed: when the dip in quality is too noticeable it kinda breaks the atmosphere.
AeiroWultx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, the mecha fight scenes did leave a bit to yearn for. It didn't leave that big of an impact. But aside from that, everything else was good. I especially liked how Regalia, the main mecha, was summoned. Everything turns a dark blue, underneath Rena appears a void-esque black hole. Rising from the black hole is a dark sphere wrapped in chains. Man, that was so cool.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
a majority of the shows put all their effort into the first three-four episodes and then you have to wait till the last two to see even half of that quality again: I know this is done because they need to hook you in from the start but honestly I prefer when those first episodes are more similar to what follows afterwards and the budget is more evenly distributed: when the dip in quality is too noticeable it kinda breaks the atmosphere.

On the other hand, when the quality is uniform across the whole series, it tends to be uniformly average. Most of the time (and to most people), it's a better result when they identify which bits really need attention and budget and focus it there. And in terms of whole episodes, that is usually going to mean the first few and the last couple, which is where the most major things happen; setting things up in the first few and everything coming to a head in the last couple.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
That sucks and here I was really liking the series. Now I have to wonder how its going to look in september...Also I hope that they work on the story some more and get rid of anything that might be perceived as a "kink" so that its solid.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
Well that is a shame. Then again, it is better to delay it and restart with better quality than continue with QUALITY.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
I don't know much about it but isn't the anime broadcasting schedule pretty cutthroat? How can they squeeze it into the next season just like that? Wasn't Blood Blockade Battlefront not able to air the last episode because of a delay that bumped it from the time slot?
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I don't know much about it but isn't the anime broadcasting schedule pretty cutthroat? How can they squeeze it into the next season just like that? Wasn't Blood Blockade Battlefront not able to air the last episode because of a delay that bumped it from the time slot?

BBB had only one episode it needed to air, so it was harder to find a spot. September 1 is technically not the start of the next season. The Fall season starts in October. They will be hard pressed to fit everything in. They might need to shorten the series, release some episodes only on disc or double up on some weeks when they can.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
Money perhaps?

Probably they spent too much of the budget for those first 4 episodes and one of the accountants said " You're going to be using crayons by episode 7 even if you cut back."

So, we get a full stop while the producers go in search of more funds.

Mark Gosdin
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
For those curious what is filling the gap, CR News had this bit of extra info:
Quote:
The first, second, 12th, and 13th episode of P.A.Works' 2012 TV anime Tari Tari will be aired on Regalia's timeslot on Tokyo MX during August.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3