• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Clothes Based on Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto, Flying Witch & More Headed to Stores

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Cool. It looks like I might be getting a Flying Witch t-shirt.
yappers4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Of course all of the cool merchandise and games would be released while I will be studying abroad until July next year. Laughing Sad Crying or Very sad
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
id love to get some Love Live T-shirts but those shipping costs... Crying or Very sad
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Ironically enough I doubt Bakuon sold well in Japan at all. Of course I could be wrong on that.

Why Sentai chose Bakuon over a more popular license from Spring like Tanaka-kun is beyond me. Even if they do sell Tanaka shirts it feels weird that this article didn't bother mentioning it.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry most of the Anime shirts sold at Hot Topic are pretty dam lame. Grab some random character image of a series slap it on a T-Shirt and expect people to buy it.

I own a few Anime Shirts from Japan and really like the creative ones that have Logos or some other way of promoting the series without out the characters or title of said series all over it.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
I hope that Sentai releases some Monster Musume T-shirts especially ones that have Mia on them. Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
id love to get some Love Live T-shirts but those shipping costs... Crying or Very sad

Right?! I browse AmiAmi for cool sh*t all the time and see some incredibly cool shirts. I would buy more of them if it wasn't $60 for one of them after shipping. It doesn't help that they almost always sell out weeks before the series is actually over, so it's hard to know if it'll actually be worth it in the end. I bought an Erased T-shirt and ended up being very mixed on the ending, so I sort of regret it. It has Kayo on the front though, and I still love her as a character. Anime catgrin

RocketOtter wrote:
Ironically enough I doubt Bakuon sold well in Japan at all. Of course I could be wrong on that.

Why Sentai chose Bakuon over a more popular license from Spring like Tanaka-kun is beyond me. Even if they do sell Tanaka shirts it feels weird that this article didn't bother mentioning it.

Eh, I don't think I would call Tanaka-kun significantly more popular than Bakuon in the US. And not that Japanese sales matter at all to what it popular overseas, but Bakuon is actually a pretty average seller for the season(and selling better than Tanaka-kun). Admittedly, very little is selling well at all, but it's still doing just fine.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
I'm sorry most of the Anime shirts sold at Hot Topic are pretty dam lame. Grab some random character image of a series slap it on a T-Shirt and expect people to buy it.

I own a few Anime Shirts from Japan and really like the creative ones that have Logos or some other way of promoting the series without out the characters or title of said series all over it.

Hot Topic anime shirts are Lame PERIOD. They don't have good design sense and all of them seem to scream "oh look at me! I'm an Anime fan" which makes me cringe.
Their selection is boring and there's nothing interesting to comment on.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:00 am Reply with quote
A Flying Witch and a RIN-NE t-shirt would be seriously awesome to wear. I'd go out of my way to get them if they'll look nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Dfens wrote:

Hot Topic anime shirts are Lame PERIOD. They don't have good design sense and all of them seem to scream "oh look at me! I'm an Anime fan" which makes me cringe.
Their selection is boring and there's nothing interesting to comment on.

I've liked some of their anime shirts and other ones. I've got the chibi DBZ shirt and chibi Attack on Titan shirt (wanted the Kill la Kill one, but it's only in girls and even their XXXL won't fit me and I'm just an XL. Way to treat women more harshly about their size, clothing industry! Seriously, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to fit into a women's shirt that's two sizes bigger than my size) and I just got a Hatsune Mike shirt with her sitting on top of the world, a Gintama shirt with practically everyone on it, and their online-exclusine No Game No Life shirt with Sora and Shiro on it. I also got an Overwatch shirt with the whole cast on it, one with Mega Man gliding on Rush, etc.

Yeah, I have a few from TeeFury and TeeTurtle that are my favorites overall (though lord knows both sites have plenty of garbage with a few gems among them as well especially the former) but I would hardly call the entirety of Hot Topic's selection to be lame. Heck, I think it's awesome you can get so many anime shirts at a local retail store nowadays, that wasn't an option for some of us for a while now (you might find a DBZ or Pokemon shirt here or there but that was about it).

Also, ones that are just the logos I find lame. I love an anime series more for its characters than some logo or such so I can't imagine buying a shirt for a series if it had zero characters on it.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
I only buy Hot Topic shirts during their Black Friday sale. At $10/shirt, if I'm not happy with the results, it makes for a great gym shirt.

Don't take Japanese sizes personally, DD. A lot of it may be because you have a larger chest than the average Japanese woman. Whenever I've bought clothes in Japan, I usually have to get at least one size larger than I am in the Men's section (I've largely given up on Japanese women sizes due to my chest). I know I would have a difficult time living there if I could only buy Japanese clothing. It's one of those things that people often don't think about when planning on living abroad.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
Sorry, guess I should have made it more clear. I'm a guy and I'm talking about the sizes in a Hot Topic store in the U.S. (I'm pretty sure these shirts are made in the U.S. or at least the sizes are determined in the U.S. especially since some are from Sentai Filmworks or FUNimation, but maybe I'm wrong about that). So I was saying a guy like me who wears men's XL shirts (including the anime ones I'm talking about) should not have difficulty fitting into a women's XXXL shirt but that appears to be the case since the XXXL Kill la Kill shirt was really tight on me. It just wouldn't shock me if the U.S. clothes industry sees a guy with my gut size and is like, "oh, he's a little overweight but not too bad" but a girl with my gut size gets seen as, "geez, lay off the burgers already!" I had a roommate in college who had this mindset towards women and I was glad when I no longer had to live with him.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
I honestly think it's more that women's shirts are generally supposed to fit tighter inherently. A T-shirt that is supposed to fit loose on a girl is pretty uncommon. If you're talking about those "Junior" T-shirts that they sell, which I think is what that KLK one is, than that is definitely the case. I bought a Madoka one and a Saber one at a convention that were of the same type. They are literally the best shirt designs I've seen, and something I would actually wear outside my house, which is rare, so it was really frustrating that I couldn't comfortably do that because of how tight the large fit on me.

As for Japanese sizes, I'm sort of a smallish guy, who wears US Medium, and I fit in Japanese Large pretty well and have even managed to get into a medium. I think the larger you are the more it deviates. The actual measurement differences between sizes aren't as drastic as they are in the west. The larges there are only a few centimeters larger than their mediums, for example.

In my experience, the designs that they are able to put out for US licensed shirts are pretty bad and I am unlikely to wear one, unfortunately, but if there is a good Flying Witch one, I'll buy it. Japanese shirts tend to be better, but they are just too expensive to buy very often. A couple of the Kiznaiver shirts on CR are kind of okay though, thinking about getting one...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
@doctordoom85: relyat08 is probably right about that being a junior shirt.

I work in a retail nerd store that sells anime shirts, and the major US manufacturers (like Ripple Junction and Great Eastern Entertainment) of such things don't really make women's shirts. They're basically all unisex cuts (which are really just men's shirts) and junior cuts. "Junior" cuts are narrower and are meant for young teens that are too big to wear children's clothes and too small for adult clothes.

I'm a gal that could wear a men's L, but I couldn't hope to even do an XXL junior because I'm a D-cup. An adult guy with a slim build that wears a men's S or M could possibly do an XL junior as a tight-fitting M equivalent, and an adult lady with a slim build (and a cup size not much bigger than a B) that wears a men's S or M could safely wear an XL junior similar to a babydoll tee.

/end boring explanation of shirt size equivalents
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2