• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
J-list Ads

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
It's odd...J list has two sites- for those over 18 and those under. I know they'd want to advertise the most of the merch they could get away with- but it seems like they could make a banner without the nudity.

The following are all on the site:

As it stands, they have 16 active banners, and 10 feature some fanservice of some sort.... Although at least 2 of those are extremely timid. Thing is, the onces with the fanservice get significantly higher clickthrough rates.

So far, I don't feel that I should remove the ad in question, but I have been convinced that I should probably move forward and try to get the options to block certain ads set up asap.

I've asked Dan about the feasibility of a quick fix until we have the time to make a more comprehensive fix.

-t
Gage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
Which none of these are disturbing unless I'm missing something. Besides they're just ads really. You don't have to look nor click them. The problem with someone walking in and seeing the ad you can just scroll down the page or something -- advertisements usually change once a page is refreshed also.

Some ads it would be good to block at the request of a member then have a team of staff look the ads over to see if action should be taken or not.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
It's not necessarily that it bothers me, I say NSFW because at least in my office anything that's offensive to anyone can get me in trouble. I don't know that this would happen, but I kind of avoid just leaving those on my screen when I visit here during work.

It's only that one particular add at the beginning that I have any issues with, for the reasons previously referenced. I don't think any of the others are likely to offend anyone.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for listening to me and taking the complaint seriously.
-Because I go on the computer in the morning before school and while I'm on my mom brushes my hair and if one of those ads is up she is like "what kind of website are you looking at?"
Gage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
You both are understood. Heh, you can get into trouble for most anything now a days! As for Cow-Boy_Be-Bop I'd just tell my mom I was on Anime News Network and show her the logo as well as provide an explanation of what this website is about -- show some news posts to back up your statement.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so net conclusion:

ANN allows advertisements that are PG13, but not R rated.

ANN is looking at a PG13/G filter that will allow individual readers to block any PG13+ content with a cookie.

This will be on a per computer basis, so you can block the PG13 ads at work, and *ahem* enjoy them at home.

The reason I've come to this decision is that I'm not willing to change ANN in ways that I don't personally agree with in order to accommodate what appears to be a small number of readers. However, I would like to accommodate as many people as possible as long as it doesn't negatively (in my opinion) affect the site otherwise.

There is one thing I would like to ask. When you get the G-Rated ads, click on them an buy something in order to thank the advertiser in question for continuing to support ANN, even though we've hidden some of his (or her) best selling ads. I'll make sure to let you know when PG rated ads are replaced with G rated ads.

Please be forewarned, this isn't going to happen overnight. It's going to take a while to get the programming done & tested (mostly because we have other projects to finish first), and then it will take a while to get G rated ads from our affected sponsors (it's more than just JList).

Chris
Gage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Then it's a problem solved. When are you going to begin using this filter?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

There is one thing I would like to ask. When you get the G-Rated ads, click on them an buy something in order to thank the advertiser in question for continuing to support ANN, even though we've hidden some of his (or her) best selling ads. I'll make sure to let you know when PG rated ads are replaced with G rated ads.
than just JList).
Chris

I have a related question. Well two actually. What sort of....credit for lack of better word....would the site (in this case J-list) get by us simply clicking the link and going to the site? Is there any sort of said credit for simply clicking the link and going? Or does a user have to buy something? Also, say we do click the link and check the place out. Does ANN get any sort of credit since the link was clicked from your site? Or again is any credit only achieved if the person clicks the link from here, goes there, and actually buys something?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

I have a related question. Well two actually. What sort of....credit for lack of better word....would the site (in this case J-list) get by us simply clicking the link and going to the site? Is there any sort of said credit for simply clicking the link and going? Or does a user have to buy something? Also, say we do click the link and check the place out. Does ANN get any sort of credit since the link was clicked from your site? Or again is any credit only achieved if the person clicks the link from here, goes there, and actually buys something?

Well, I'm not going to discuss the exact revenue model (not that it's a big secret), but there's very little benefit in you clicking an ad if it doesn't interest you.

If it makes you curious, click it. It does no harm.

But the end metric is always sales. if stores don't see sales, they stop advertising.

Which is why I asked that you buy something to show your appreciation (of course, this sounds like blackmail, buy stuff or we subject you to filthy ads, but it's more the opposite, we won't subject you to filthy ads, would you please buy something so that the decision to do this doesn't scare the advertisers away).

-t
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Tempest, I buy from HLJ pretty regularly and I know they advertise here, would it help if I clicked through the ads here when I do my ordering? The reason I ask is that I usually only do pre orders and I'm not sure how that would work since I don't actually pay for my order until months after I place them. Does it still work the same way, just waits until payment is due, or does it work instantly like any other order, or does it not work at all since I'm a regular customer? Just curious as I'd like to help where I can, god knows I've been using the free services here long enough.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Anytime someone clicks on a banner ad and buys a product, it's good for ANN. It shows the advertisers that the ads work (it isn't a commission, but rather incentive for them to continue advertising).

Now it wouldn't really be honest if you were to click the banner and buy something you would have bought regardless of their advertising here. But perhaps if you bought one more item to thank them for supporting your favorite site?

Seriously though, for anyone who really wants to support ANN, I'm going to give you a much better opportunity soon (hopefully you'll think it's much better too).

-t
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Anytime someone clicks on a banner ad and buys a product, it's good for ANN. It shows the advertisers that the ads work (it isn't a commission, but rather incentive for them to continue advertising).

Now it wouldn't really be honest if you were to click the banner and buy something you would have bought regardless of their advertising here. But perhaps if you bought one more item to thank them for supporting your favorite site?

Seriously though, for anyone who really wants to support ANN, I'm going to give you a much better opportunity soon (hopefully you'll think it's much better too).

-t

Does it relate or have to do with the new survey or is that just a precursor of sorts?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

Does it relate or have to do with the new survey or is that just a precursor of sorts?
Completely unrelated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2