• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Second Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but you've totally misread and misinterpreted Erina's eeagerness to see Hisako, she by far views her as more then just some gofer, the point was that Hisako knows Erina so well she "would" have had the next volume ready, not that she "should" have had it ready for when Erina was done.

It's not even reliant on new material that we've yet to see, the true friendship between those two was already show on screen and the fact you think Erina is that shallow as to treat her only friend as just some erannd girl actually makes me angry.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
^

Specially the fact that she said that Hisako left without hearing her opinion should have made this obvious. If she was just some errand girl, she wouldn't even care to give Hisako her opinion.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I'm sorry but you've totally misread and misinterpreted Erina's eeagerness to see Hisako, she by far views her as more then just some gofer

Agreed. I dislike Erina almost as much as Rebecca does, but I never saw their relationship that way either. For Erina, it's been clear to me ever since the Training Camp arc that Hisako is a true friend and plays a much more important part in her life than just tracking her appointments or keeping stalkers away. She's the only person that Erina can let down her guard around and just be totally herself for a little while, not the God Tongue or the daughter of Food Royalty, but someone who likes to do "frivolous" things like play games and read manga too. Hisako is the only outlet she seems to have for that side of her personality, and the only person she can talk to about things other than work and school. If Hisako didn't even realize that she was sacrificing too much of herself to keeping Erina happy until Akira pointed it out, then Erina obviously wasn't demanding more of her than she was willing to give.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I'm sorry but you've totally misread and misinterpreted Erina's eeagerness to see Hisako, she by far views her as more then just some gofer, the point was that Hisako knows Erina so well she "would" have had the next volume ready, not that she "should" have had it ready for when Erina was done.

I wonder if there is a translation issue here but let's assume you have it correct.

I think the reviewer is also correct in that Erina's view of friendship and closeness is seriously warped and I think the anime has been pretty consistent at showing this. Consider how she treated the adorable (albeit physics-defying) Mito just because she lost one contest. Ernia has been been perfectly content to let Hisako labor as a sort of self-appointed butler and minion to the point that Hisako felt that her only option at this stage was to leave in humiliation. Not worthy failure etc etc.

Erina might be emotionally attached to Hisako and think of her as a "friend" but then why doesn't Hisako see it that way? Answer: Erina doesn't know what friendship is. To her credit though she does seem to realize there is something wrong here. As I wrote before I hope this character redeems herself eventually and I think she will.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
You can't really compare Miko to Hisako. Because Hisako and Erina are actually close, while Miko was just someone who Erina recruited for her skills. Nothing else. I obviously have a different viewpoint since I am caught up with the manga, but from the anime you see that Hisako and Erina are close and spend a lot of time together. Erina would never treat her the same way as Miko. I think you really should think more about why Hisako really left.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Erina might be emotionally attached to Hisako and think of her as a "friend" but then why doesn't Hisako see it that way? Answer: Erina doesn't know what friendship is. To her credit though she does seem to realize there is something wrong here. As I wrote before I hope this character redeems herself eventually and I think she will.

Your impression is the reverse of the situation in the story. Erina does have a warped view of society due to her upbringing, but she also see Hisako as her only friend. Hisako is the one who puts Erina on a pedestal and believes she needs to be "worthy" of serving her, hence her attitude in wanting to follow in her footsteps and not striving to surpass her. That was the entire message behind her loss to Akira.

Ikumi was never a peer, she was a faction member, someone scouted as a talent to be on Erina's team and perform duties such as defending haute cuisine via shokugeki. Her losing to Souma conveyed that her skills were not good enough to belong to Erina's faction, however erroneous that evaluation is now in hindsight.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is reporter boy voiced by Deku from Hero Academia?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

Deku VA was Daiki Yamashita who does show up in FWTSP in a different role from Mitsuru. Oddly enough the ANN encyclopedia doesn't list a VA for Mitsuru but it could be him.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

Deku VA was Daiki Yamashita who does show up in FWTSP in a different role from Mitsuru. Oddly enough the ANN encyclopedia doesn't list a VA for Mitsuru but it could be him.

I checked the episode credits, it is indeed Yamashita Daiki who voices Mitsuru.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Part of my hopes that the next episode is just Soma and Mimasaka constantly having "YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD!" moments.

I dunno. I think it would be funny at least.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I did not like the new guy, he felt so much like penis tadokoro that I'd rather see yukihira and tadokoro instead.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
i know Mimasaka Subaru did not win in group B was he #4 in group A?

i have no memory of him in the contest or in winning to get in.
did i miss something?????????
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Rockweaver wrote:

In the manga he's the stinger at the end of the last preliminary chapter to tease taht a mysterious competitor took the last spot.

The anime cut that scene so he kinda just shows up at the start of the second season with a super rushed explination
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Rockweaver wrote:

In the manga he's the stinger at the end of the last preliminary chapter to tease taht a mysterious competitor took the last spot.

The anime cut that scene so he kinda just shows up at the start of the second season with a super rushed explination

Now i think i will need to get the manga.... dang it...
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
As I watched the new ep I suddenly remembered Cabbage Pink.....Daaamn lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9