• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Pokémon Company Delays Pokémon Go Plus Accessory to September

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised the article doesn't mention the "Update Gate" that's going on right now. Unless Niantic acts fast, Nintendo's not going to need to need to worry about the app's overwhelming success. Early today the app's rating was down to 1.8 stars on the US app store (and even lower on the Japanese store) and apparently Apple was being overwhelmed by people demanding refunds for in-app purchases. All due to an update that killed 3rd party support for the app, which people had begun to rely on due to several key features that are currently broken (tracking, and for some - myself included - maps).

They just pushed out a tiny micro update that reset all the review ratings in the app store, however.
Mogtaki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
I'm kind of surprised the article doesn't mention the "Update Gate" that's going on right now. Unless Niantic acts fast, Nintendo's not going to need to need to worry about the app's overwhelming success. Early today the app's rating was down to 1.8 stars on the US app store (and even lower on the Japanese store) and apparently Apple was being overwhelmed by people demanding refunds for in-app purchases. All due to an update that killed 3rd party support for the app, which people had begun to rely on due to several key features that are currently broken (tracking, and for some - myself included - maps).

They just pushed out a tiny micro update that reset all the review ratings in the app store, however.

The article doesn't because the update thing that people are all fussing over is kind of petty. For a fair giant size of ANN's audience the tracking hasn't worked and a lot of ANN's editors are based in Japan and they've never had the tracker working. The update gave more than it took away for Japan, Canada and Europe.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
Maybe they should... I don't know... FIX THE DAMN GAME. Right now, the game is worthless. The only real fun part was tracking down specific pokemon. Well, they completely removed that. And to add insult to injury, they went after sites that were helping people do that. So they won't fix the issue, but won't let others fix it either. I am convinced Ninatic is run by imbeciles.
Enes1234567

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
@Etrien I dont think this hype will die off any time soon. As for the 3rd party support, there was non to begin with. Pogo never released some kind od API. Applications like pokevision used a google account that spoofed its gps to get the data about the nearby pokemon. This is againts the terms of agreement. Also people used man in the middle attacks(a way of hacking in wich you pretend to be the clieny to steal the data that the server sends) to steal data and reverse engineer the game to get more information about ratios and stuff.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah I gave up on this game. I was patient for several weeks and it's still broke as sh*t. Constantly freezing, crashing, refusing to load, vanishing Pokemon, broke and now dead tracking system. Maybe I'll check back on a few months to see if the bugs are ironed out. In the meantime there's millions of fully functional games I could waste my time on instead.
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
Mogtaki wrote:

The article doesn't because the update thing that people are all fussing over is kind of petty. For a fair giant size of ANN's audience the tracking hasn't worked and a lot of ANN's editors are based in Japan and they've never had the tracker working. The update gave more than it took away for Japan, Canada and Europe.

I'm more talking about general relevance; if I go to google news and type in "pokemon go", the top is flooded with articles talking about the fiasco, as well as things like this, which just might be related considering the fact the app plummeted to around 1.5/5 stars on the Japanese listing. (Even now after the new micro update reset the current review scores, the Japanese combined all-version average is only 2.5, bogged down with tons of 1-star reviews from the last 36 hours.)

Also, I am a Japanese player and have only played since the Japanese release. Between the broken tracking and broken maps, the game itself has become barely playable after the general novelty has worn off.

Whether the backlash is justified or not is a matter of opinion, I was just commenting on the severity of it.

EDIT: All of my references to app ratings were regarding to the iOS version, which separates its scores version-to-version.
Realquick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
I get the reasoning behind it but what's there's really no fun in that.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
I don't the popularity of Pokémon GO is going to last much longer if Niantic doesn't quickly address the several issues that's suppressing its performance (vanishing Pokémon, shrinking encounter radius, Tracking being removed, etc.)...
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
How the hell did they underestimate the demand and popularity of the app anyway? Most people who know about Pokémon could have predicted that this is gonna be the big thing.

Really bad business prediction going on in these big companies
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
The only real fun part was tracking down specific pokemon. Well, they completely removed that. And to add insult to injury, they went after sites that were helping people do that. So they won't fix the issue, but won't let others fix it either. I am convinced Ninatic is run by imbeciles.

All companies exist in a parallel universe where money is the highest priority and no one knows what people in our universe actually want. Some find ways to communicate with actual humans; Niantic is apparently not one of them.

It's pretty frustrating. I played the game like crazy for the first week, because despite its numerous problems, the hunting pokemon aspect was fun. Then the tracking broke, and all anyone could do was sit at pokestops with lures catching whatever popped up, which quickly became boring. Then Pokevision gave us an even better tracking system... for a few days, until it was shut down and Niantic made it clear their original tracking system was gone for good.

They have also, supposedly, made all mons break out of balls about twice as often; presumably because, as the other changes imply, they think frustration is fun. But I already uninstalled the damn thing, so, whatever. Maybe a different company can take a crack at this in a few years, when people have forgotten about this mess.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Good on Niantic, they've just killed the largest mobile game ever in less than a month. That's quite a feat.

The game thrives on not playing alone, and that's soon going to be the case; unless shit is fixed the game will be over by October aside from holdouts like those who play Ingress.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Good on Niantic, they've just killed the largest mobile game ever in less than a month. That's quite a feat.

The game thrives on not playing alone, and that's soon going to be the case; unless shit is fixed the game will be over by October aside from holdouts like those who play Ingress.

Despite all you guys claiming so, I don't see numbers decreasing. Downloads grow rapidly and still 22 million active players
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
Mogtaki wrote:

The article doesn't because the update thing that people are all fussing over is kind of petty. For a fair giant size of ANN's audience the tracking hasn't worked and a lot of ANN's editors are based in Japan and they've never had the tracker working.

Who's tracker worked for which of ya guys here?

Etrien wrote:

I'm more talking about general relevance; if I go to google news and type in "pokemon go", the top is flooded with articles talking about the fiasco, as well as things like this, which just might be related considering the fact the app plummeted to around 1.5/5 stars on the Japanese listing.

No, the app rating and Nintendo's stock falling down is not related. Nintendo's stock fell down because Nintendo made it clear that it's not them that stands to earn the most from the app revenues. Even if the app got 5.0 rating across the board, Nintendo's stock would still fall now that people realize Nintendo's limited earning situation.

kotomikun wrote:

Niantic made it clear their original tracking system was gone for good.

No, they did not. We don't know whether it's gone for good, or they took it down for now while they're trying to fix it (if it can be fixed).

kotomikun wrote:

They have also, supposedly, made all mons break out of balls about twice as often; presumably because, as the other changes imply, they think frustration is fun.

Like many things, it's about money. If more Pokeballs are used up, then more people would spend money paying for more Pokeballs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1