• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tales of Zestiria the X

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
They've actually done a pretty good job at merging key points from the endless slog of side quests into original material (mostly involving Alicia). As with the bulk of this week's ruin exploration, the tornado attacking Ladylake is 100% anime original, so not even knowledge of the source material can keep the suspense at bay.

I wonder if next week is a literal week off for the show itself, or they actually mean next week will be the "Cross" part of the title and will be starring Velvet instead.
ChaseM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I wonder if next week is a literal week off for the show itself, or they actually mean next week will be the "Cross" part of the title and will be starring Velvet instead.

The way I took the preview was that the main cast would be taking a one week break, leaving us in suspense for two weeks. While on break somebody else would appear that Lailah didn't want to reveal. That to me can only mean Velvet from the Tales of Beseria will be making her appearance, possibly giving us more insight to the origins of the Shepard and how things came to be, though that is just what I think will happen, considering the game hasn't even been released in Japan yet.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Could anyone else make out what was in the basement? Everyone has these shocked and horrified expressions on their faces while for me they were looking at a dark room full of...black. I gathered from the dialog that there were apparently political prisoners stored there, but were they like crucified or mutilated corpses, or mummies stacked like kindling, or what? Was it censored or just bad lighting?
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Now that a few episodes have been released, is this anime an adaption of Zesteria's game or is it an original story or what? I've seen the OVA and played the beginning of the game, but I don't want to dive into this without knowing if it's something I can watch at this point or if I should wait until after I beat the game.
ChaseM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Could anyone else make out what was in the basement? Everyone has these shocked and horrified expressions on their faces while for me they were looking at a dark room full of...black. I gathered from the dialog that there were apparently political prisoners stored there, but were they like crucified or mutilated corpses, or mummies stacked like kindling, or what? Was it censored or just bad lighting?

It was extremely dark and hard to see, but what they were seeing was a lot of bones and skulls. I had to look real hard to see them, got pretty close to the screen to be able to see them.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Piles of bones.

Juno016 wrote:
Now that a few episodes have been released, is this anime an adaption of Zesteria's game or is it an original story or what?

Adaptation of the game with lots of changes.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think it might be Funi's player, because I didn't notice the issue when I watched it on my Roku, but when I watched in on the site, the darkness was definitely an issue

Edit: After rewatching the segment on my Roku, it definitely is fairly dark, but it is still readily identifiable as a pile of skulls and bones
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was it censored or just bad lighting?

The lighting looked fine to me (dark but still pretty clear what was inside), but that's on my monitor. If I watched this on my TV, it'd probably look like a blanket of black to me too. Idk your setup so I can't say. It definitely didn't look like anything was censored.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
review wrote:
However you say it, this show continues to be worth watching in its fifth episode

A quick question: In their adaptation of Fate/stay night, ufotable started with episode 0, and the DSR also counted it as episode 0. Despite being the fifth aired episode, in-show and on FUNi's page it is numbered as the fourth episode. Shouldn't it go episode [#0], [#1], [#2], etc?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
^

I get that, but the numbering is off from what the show itself uses.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
yeah i saw that after i made the post. Deleted it as such
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
As with the bulk of this week's ruin exploration...is 100% anime original

Actually, I think it's supposed to be the aqueducts under Ladylake. Since there were prison cells down there in the game.

Quote:

The event screening being held this week for 05 and 06 flat-out stated that it would be a crossover with Berseria. They've also said that the theatrical screening will be different from the TV broadcast of the episodes.

Review wrote:
(cue the hot springs fanart!)

What do you mean fanart? We already have official artwork. (video of the skits in question. Possible game spoilers)

Last edited by Dessa on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
As with the bulk of this week's ruin exploration...is 100% anime original

Actually, I think it's supposed to be the aqueducts under Ladylake. Since there were prison cells down there in the game.

That is correct. The game actually does explain that THAT particular section of the aqueducts is what was basically a political prison. Obviously, they were meant to be forgotten, died, and became hellions.

wolf10 wrote:
They've actually done a pretty good job at merging key points from the endless slog of side quests into original material (mostly involving Alicia). As with the bulk of this week's ruin exploration, the tornado attacking Ladylake is 100% anime original, so not even knowledge of the source material can keep the suspense at bay.

If I had to assume, the tornado is a replacement for the first time going into the aqueducts (the one shown in the anime is actually the 2nd time). If I had to make a second guess, this is basically a lead in to the part in the game where spoiler[Mikleo got his bow, an equivalent to Lailah's sword and has to become Lailah's sublord. This is especially evident that this tornado seems to be water-based, and a fire-based seraph would not be able to do anything about it.]

You know what I always liked about Zestiria though? I don't have to kill God at the end. In too many JRPGs the message is always 'religion is bad mkay' and I am so tired of that shit.

Even better? I'm trying to bring it BACK into the world, not get rid of it. It understands the balance of faith and works, and how too much of one without the other causes more problems than it solves.It shows what happens when you put all of your faith in one person to solve the world's problems instead of doing your part in it.

spoiler[Too bad the ending got screwed by last-minute rewrites that basically fucked continuity up the ass. That worked in Abyss's favour, not so much this one.]
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
As with the bulk of this week's ruin exploration...the tornado attacking Ladylake is 100% anime original

Okay, I'll clarify: they took a lot of small events and details from a lot of different places, but they were never arranged into a single story in the game. They more or less combined two trips to the aqueducts and the side-quest ruin outside Ladylake, all without really touching any of the major events that actually happened at this point in the story.

Generations wrote:
You know what I always liked about Zestiria though? I don't have to kill God at the end. In too many JRPGs the message is always 'religion is bad mkay' and I am so tired of that shit.

Even better? I'm trying to bring it BACK into the world, not get rid of it. It understands the balance of faith and works, and how too much of one without the other causes more problems than it solves.It shows what happens when you put all of your faith in one person to solve the world's problems instead of doing your part in it.
Killing god figures in JRPGs has never been about religion itself being bad. It's always been a matter of rejecting a world driven by a single will and accepting your individual responsibility in creating the future you desire. Zestiria is the same way, basically, but takes the opposite approach to the same conclusion.

Generations wrote:
spoiler[Too bad the ending got screwed by last-minute rewrites that basically fucked continuity up the ass. That worked in Abyss's favour, not so much this one.]
Honestly not sure what you mean by that. I thought the ending was perfectly fine.
Generations

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:38 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
]Killing god figures in JRPGs has never been about religion itself being bad. It's always been a matter of rejecting a world driven by a single will and accepting your individual responsibility in creating the future you desire. Zestiria is the same way, basically, but takes the opposite approach to the same conclusion.

In JRPGs there is usually only one organized religion in the entire world, and very often that organization is either completely corrupt or just plain evil. I could make a quick list of all the JRPGs I know that use this trope, and a very VERY limited list that doesn't. It wouldn't take that long.

Quote:
Honestly not sure what you mean by that. I thought the ending was perfectly fine.

spoiler[The way the dialogue was written, it was obvious that the Lord of Calamity was meant to be a reoccurring evil that was the previous Shepherd becoming corrupted from being overwhelmed by the world's problems. However, the game clearly states later that the Lord of Calamity has only appeared once, and it was fairly recent into the Shepherd's history. Not sure if that will be retconned in Berseria, but that's how it worked in Zestiria.]

spoiler[It was also stated that the woman beside the Shepherd responsible for turning the Lord of Calamity was meant to be his wife, NOT his sister. Which is obvious, since if you've watched the cutscenes neither his actual wife nor the sister's wife was ever shown and they were shown with the baby together. Why that rewrite was done, I can't tell you, but if I had to guess it was because of Sorey and Mikleo's shared backstory, which unfortunately only made it more confusing.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 19