• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geass Director Taniguchi's World Cosplay Summit Anime Revealed as ID-0 With Range Murata

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
I hope they don't do much CGI for this. Otherwise, going to be optimistic about the series as it's original. Could be a hit or a miss but the teaser has my interest so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dark13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling, this one might be forgettable, and I might not even like it.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I hope they don't do much CGI for this. Otherwise, going to be optimistic about the series as it's original. Could be a hit or a miss but the teaser has my interest so far.

Since Sanzigen's doing it, I'm guessing it will be 100% CG.
synaia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

Since Sanzigen's doing it, I'm guessing it will be 100% CG.

Yeah pretty sure it will be full cgi with sanzigen doing the animation.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
*sees "Geass Director Taniguchi's"*

OMG! It's finally happening!

*reads the rest*

The 10th anniversary CG announcement is slowly dying as each month passes by. Sad
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the studio's previous mech work (Bubuki/Buranki), and the staff is familiar with mech shows. It might turn out OK.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll be interested in this from a technical standpoint, as I really like what Sanzigen has done with CG work in the past, but story-wise, nothing really to go on so far. For some reason, I can't help thinking its going to be like Active Raid... which means not particularly interesting to me.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
For some reason, I can't help thinking its going to be like Active Raid... which means not particularly interesting to me.

Why? Objectively speaking, the two shows have absolutely nothing in common so far.

For instance, the video presents a very different vibe. The apparent setting is nothing alike either. This already suggests it'll be a lot less wacky. I did like Active Raid, regardless of whatever the naysayers may want to think, but this upcoming anime project doesn't strike me as remotely similar in any way, shape or form. Thus such "fears" seem to be based on irrationality.

Not to mention that the director never makes two identical series in a row.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:47 am Reply with quote
^I'm basing that on exactly the kind of information that was released about Active Raid prior to its airing. It was a somewhat mysterious, and vaguely advertised, original mecha show by the Director of Planetes and Code Geass!! Everyone get excited!
And I'm not a hater of Active Raid either, but it was just kind of "okay". Mostly a little too boring for me in a season of other things that I liked more. For a Goro Taniguchi show, that's a little disappointing.
I didn't mean "like Active Raid" narratively. I meant it as far as my experience, and the fandoms experience with the show, in general.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^I'm basing that on exactly the kind of information that was released about Active Raid prior to its airing. It was a somewhat mysterious, and vaguely advertised, original mecha show by the Director of Planetes and Code Geass!! Everyone get excited!

I would say that's not particularly accurate either. First there was a promotional picture showing one of the power suits together with Liko, the App/OS girl. You could already infer a couple of things from that. Then, less than a month later, they put up the official website with character designs, taglines like "Bye-Bye, Common Sense!" and an actual PV with a very different look/feel compared to what we've seen of ID-0 thus far.

Furthermore, one important element that ANN never reported was also established around that time: the director himself made a public statement, which was posted on the Production IMS home page for quite a while before the broadcast, where he indicated that Active Raid wouldn't be remotely similar to his previous works.

He specified that the series was going to be less serious and more lighthearted. To put it in other words, the man didn't want people to make comparisons or references to projects like Code Geass and Planetes because he wasn't even aiming for that in the first place. Thus anyone who had such groundless expectations wasn't really fulfilling their due diligence. There was plenty of information available that indicated otherwise.

Quote:
I didn't mean "like Active Raid" narratively. I meant it as far as my experience, and the fandoms experience with the show, in general.

I don't know if two completely different shows will give you the same experience, but in any case something like that is literally impossible to determine at this point.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
You're taking this a little too seriously. I was just making an off-hand comment based on what I remember from Active Raid, and from this promotion. Nothing was stated as fact whatsoever. Move along.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Since this is a mecha anime, it will be either hit-or-miss.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Taniguchi, Kuroda, and Range Murata (one of my favorite artists) are a fantastic start for me (I hope the non-mecha characters look like his art when we finally see Hiromi Kato's adaptations of them), plus with a bunch of designers very familiar with giving the mechanical designs good atmosphere (as are the director and writer) and that generally work on some very good shows, I'm looking forward to learning more about this.

Though the "for cosplayers" thing, if it's not just due to where it's being announced and the company producing it, makes me wonder how serious it will be despite the mood of the PV and brief shots of the mecha in action as I can't yet see how cosplayers would fit into that PV at all. Since the shots that seem to be part of the real show give off a relatively serious feel to me.

Given that they list both a "mechanic character designer" in Ebikawa (and the way they were shown with the credits posed almost like characters) and also "animation character designers" (so presumably some human characters, probably also in CG) I wonder what the role of the more human characters are going to be when some of the mecha seem like they'll be characters themselves?

Hameyadea wrote:
I enjoyed the studio's previous mech work (Bubuki/Buranki), and the staff is familiar with mech shows. It might turn out OK.

Same. That show to me got it's CG anime characters closer than most toward giving off cool 2D traits, while still getting the benefits of 3D, with a lot of the Trigger-like tricks employed to add extra life to them and the way the moved with the sharp backgrounds. I like that the key staff have done some really good mech shows, especially that the writer has. I like a lot of Kuroda's stuff.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
The studio's name comes from [i]sanjigen[/i,] which means ""three-dimensional" or "three-dimensions". So, CGI seems guaranteed. When I was watching that trailer, that music (which I think is Kabuki) actually reminded me of Native American music a bit (the "hi yeah"-type).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1