• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Taboo-Tattoo (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Not sure if she cares about animals (she certainly doesn't know how to take care of them properly, look how she picked up the kitten by his legs!), she just felt bad for the kitten because he was abandoned, because she probably was abandoned by her parents herself.
On the plus side, childhood friend-chan is in on the secret and might even join the action, on the minus side, this show continues to be filled with cliches ("the strong must protect the weak!" Wow, what an original idea!) I actually liked the "put your organs back in, it's indecent!" Joke, and the talking cat was cute, but for a moment I was confused and thought Touko's new tattoo power would be to communicate with cats which would be original, but useless.
Otherwise, ugh, I want the loli loving guy (and the loli fanservice) to go away.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Same as usual, not really good, but it is doing not really good in a good way. It is hitting a good niche spot. It is like that part that Big Order should have it, before it was revealed to really have no idea and was just the worst.

Moments like the suddenly censored organs spilling out of Tom and the subtitled cats were kind of funny.

Quote:
Otherwise, ugh, I want the loli loving guy (and the loli fanservice) to go away.

Didn't he say that he was not interested in her body type, so he was not into that sort of thing?

I... am kind of interested the loli, it is totally my guilty pleasure sort of thing. Embarassed
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
For a second there I thought the loli would turn out to be a trap as that "You're a boy" line seemed to be setting that up. It was reinforced further when she came out of the bath with a towel wrapped only around her waist but then I noticed she actually does have boobs.

Anyways, I liked how Touko was brought up to speed on things rather than spend the whole series in the dark.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
episode three

Episode two promised and episode three delivered... a notable increase in fanservice. I'm not complaining, though. It doesn't feel half a shoehorned as it does in a number of series, which is my frequent complaint with fanservice. So, that's on the plus side.

Really, there's only pluses, in my book. The show isn't setting its sights very high but it's hitting the mark. It's just a shame the fights weren't a bit longer, really. It's pretty obvious the show is trying to make the most out of relatively limited resources, though, and I can't disagree with how they're being allocated.

Vaisaga wrote:
Anyways, I liked how Touko was brought up to speed on things rather than spend the whole series in the dark.

Yeah, bringing her in means she can be a larger, more interesting part of the story. It was also a little surprising. For how by-the-numbers pretty much all the plot points are, this actually felt a little different.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

This is actually a case where I think that the main character is neglecting the good will of others in running off, and he really shouldn't, even if story convention says that he will be needed. And destroying the whole house, just missing the rabbit, yeah he is going to need some form of punishment.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
^
Well, Izzy is pretty likely to be pissed. Also, given what they set up about Touko's tattoo, I wouldn't be surprised if having her near Shrodinger's Cat just makes the situation worse. Hard to say whether this means there's any actual comeuppance in the future or if it's hemming too close to shonen tropes to do such a thing.

The fight sequence in this episode was kind of interesting. I'm not sure if I liked how they made it really disjointed or not. It makes sense, because it emphasizes Shrodinger's Cat's abilities. On the other hand, it's hard to argue it isn't less satisfying.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'm really surprised at how strong Shrodinger's Cat is. I mean, I knew she was strong but not on that level. Was expecting Lisa to put up more of a fight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this is the kind of rushed pacing I expect from a Light Novel adaptation, not a manga one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Yeah, the pacing was super fast in places, like that the battle could have been the entire episode, but we also sped past moments that could have been an entire other episode such as going out for ingredients where they ran into the princess again, Izzy talking to her superiors, and reveal that the US side may not be the best. It was a bit uncomfortable, but strangely I felt kind of adapted to it and like the tone that was kind of been given with moments that were ridiculous partially in how fast they were going.

I still quite like the Schrodinger cat girl (there is nothing "cat girl" about her character), and her being crazy attached to the princess and getting jealous when the princess kissed him was kind of an endearing part of her character. Wait, back to what I put in brackets above, she did for some reason "meow" when she was picked up by the princess. Also I have seen some ridiculous over serious pingpong games in anime before, but this one actually made me laugh a bit, I think because it was kind of shorter and sweeter than other examples.

And yes, some angry vibes were given about a certain someone making a house disappear.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:05 am Reply with quote
episode five

They've really pushed the blending of the different elements of the show to the point that they aren't really separate any more. I haven't read the manga so I don't know if this was part of the source material or a side effect of them picking up the pace in the adaptation. Either way, I'm enjoying it. Putting the humor, action and sex all in the same place removes any awkward seams that might otherwise have been there.

Also, really enjoyed Schrodinger's Cat in this episode. Her fight with Seigi, complete with a superpowered childhood friend tackle, was a lot of fun and getting to see her powers represented more clearly was cool, too. This really just solidifies my opinion that the disjointed fight last episode was intentional, as it allowed them to obscure Il's fighting style and save that for the bigger scene.

Lots of important plot questions brought up this episode too, like how long is Seigi's house going to last, where are they going to go next, and how is Touko going to handle her crush living with Izzy?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:19 am Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Putting the humor, action and sex all in the same place removes any awkward seams that might otherwise have been there.

I think that is what was making me feel forgiving about it. Rather than all those elements that can feel off when they suddenly intrude on each other, they were all mixed in a way that just made it feel like all the same thing. A single scene showing that a character can be strong, sexual, and funny, which is common for this type of show for characters to have these traits, but they don't tend to blend well.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the characters so far, I think BB (the guy that beat the hell out of "Mad Genius" and seems to have a history with Izzy) is the coolest. We need more of him.

Also, Touko just can't seem to keep her hands off of Justice, can she? Lol..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

For some reason I was finding Mr Genius to be pretty funny, probably because he was such an unapologetic cliché made scientist character. Like how he had his assistant saying his name after all the boasts with no energy as a counter to his total hammy act. Kind of surprising when he was shown to be protective of his assistant.

Also Touko getting tempted by him sleeping in kind of a reverse role way.

BB kind of reminds me of Xigbar from Kingdom Hearts.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
episode six

Touko is getting pretty aggressive. That seems to be a theme with women in this show.

I also found Mr. Genius to be pretty amusing. I'm still kind of disappointed with the episode, though. It's only because I wanted more follow up to Izzy and Tom moving in with Seigi.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12, USA! USA! USA!

I recently caught up with this show just in time for the finale. Well... it was buttcheeks.... BUT I honestly think it had some decent moments. Some of the fight scenes were awesome. Episode 8 kicked a lot of ass. I really think that there was a good story in there, just the adaption was atrocious. They weren't trying to do any compromises, they just crammed as much as they could into 12 episodes. It felt like it was originally supposed to be longer, but they had to cut the episode number down. I don't know how many volumes they adapted or if the anime went original at some point, but I don't remember when was the last time I saw something so rushed. I actually might check out the manga some day because I do think that this story has potential. Maybe.

P.S. WTF was that ending?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3