• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beefy Ads

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
The little sailboat video, or whatever the heck is going on the bottom-right corner is the latest to burn resources like no tomorrow. I suspect the whole ad-within-an-ad thing is what is causing the browser forward/back navigation list to get spammed with reloaded pages too.
Cannot even copy-paste reliably because of all the background page tolling(typing this report out in the Run command box.) Ads served by mayu-chan.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
Sailboat video ? Not familiar with that. Next time it happens, can you take a screenshot?

We'll definitely get to the bottom of it.

FYI: mayu-chan is one of our servers. That line is the name of the server you are accessing.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
There is no banner ad, so I'm not getting an "ads by" line at the top. However, in previewing this post there was a banner for subscribing, and that had an ads by ANN. Maybe it would be more useful to say the ad is in the features navigation pane.

Before the following screen capture, there was a Home Depot video ad after the prior sailboat clip.

http://qfs.mobi/f3563132
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm also having a problem with ads though it's not limited to just that boat video. In fact, it's gotten so bad I had to go back to Mozilla- the time it takes for pages to load reminds me too much of dial-up- but those video ads plus the non scrolling banner ad- I think it's a combination thing- kept Edge on, well, edge.

It's been a recent development, no, degradation, in the past two weeks but it's gotten to the point where it'd take me several minutes to write out a sentence to today, where Edge crashed midword. Constantly. Repeatedly.

But only on this site. Yet browsing remains normal. So for the meantime, I'm just going to kick up the Fox... when I want to post? Sounds unnecessarily complicated...

Any thoughts on the matter would be welcome.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
We have a new ad provider that brings in ads from multiple sources. They've been working closely with us to identify and remove the problematic ads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1