• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Sunrise's Psychic School Wars Sci-Fi Anime Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
This is really amazing news! Really wanted to see this and was sad that it seems to be released in EU only (with a dub even) and was tempted to import but I don't have a region free bluray player, can't wait to own/watch it, great dub cast too!
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Really wanted to see this and was sad that it seems to be released in EU only (with a dub even) and was tempted to import but I don't have a region free bluray player, can't wait to own/watch it, great dub cast too!

So that's why none of the cast are Funi regulars. Interesting.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice that theyre dubbing a lot of new shows also. Crunchyroll really started this by saying theyd dub those 8 shows then I think aniplex went on with god eater, charlotte, and asterisk war (might have been before) then sentai is gonna dub 7 or 8 shows now funimation is dubbing shinomenta, overlord, hetalia world twinkle, on top of the broadcast dubs. Its a great day to be a dub fan lol. Not liking tho how crunchy roll and sentai arent giving us release dates on the home video release tho, one release date would be fine to start up but still.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
So that's why none of the cast are Funi regulars. Interesting.

Yeah I'm not sure which studio handled the dub but I don't think Funi had any part in it as its been UK only for awhile.

Kb24lol wrote:
Nice that theyre dubbing a lot of new shows also. Crunchyroll really started this by saying theyd dub those 8 shows then I think aniplex went on with god eater, charlotte, and asterisk war (might have been before) then sentai is gonna dub 7 or 8 shows now funimation is dubbing shinomenta, overlord, hetalia world twinkle, on top of the broadcast dubs. Its a great day to be a dub fan lol. Not liking tho how crunchy roll and sentai arent giving us release dates on the home video release tho, one release date would be fine to start up but still.

As a dub fan it's been one amazing summer! Full of LE announcements, Crunchy entering the home video/dub market and dubs, dubs and more dubs Anime smile Love the industry at the moment haha
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
But yeah, this is good news. It's a decent movie, but not a great one. Was honestly a huge letdown from the hype I had seen behind it. The best part about it was the music.

Removed unnecessary dub comment. --willag
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I gotta tell ya, this is one of the most beautiful and WEIRDEST anime movies I've seen yet. Don't ask me what happens in the movie because there's NO WAY I'd be able to explain it. They talk about cellphones a lot. That's about as much as I could gather. Confused
endallchaos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:

I wish Aniplex would just give the rights of 'Mushishi Zoku Shou' to FUnimation, since they seem to be just sitting on that show. Mad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Of course this has to be announced right after I imported the Australian version.... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure which studio handled the dub but I don't think Funi had any part in it as its been UK only for awhile.

The dub is by NYAV Post (Gundam Unicorn, Time of Eve: The Movie, Patema Inverted).
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Gah. I wish they'd just forgotten about this film, such a colossal mess tbh. Been a few years since I've seen it, but my word the pacing and storytelling were quite awful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Of course this has to be announced right after I imported the Australian version.... Rolling Eyes

The dub is by NYAV Post (Gundam Unicorn, Time of Eve: The Movie, Patema Inverted).

Thanks! I figured it was probably New York related due to Media Blasters and Daniel J. Edwards (Was MC of Ladies vs Butlers) but also seeing Cassandra Lee Morris in the cast list too made me unsure.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, two dubs!? And not only that, but Funi are outsourcing it to NYAV? So is the dub that got included with the UK/AU release a UK effort with British accents and all that? Because I kinda wanna watch them both now. It's a shame I probably won't be able to legally watch this dub without importing because I really like NYAV Post dubs.

When was the last time a show or movie got two dubs coming out within months of each other? (Not counting those awful Animax dubs which I absolutely refuse to acknlowedge as 'professional').

Edited to remove a response from a previously unnecessary comment. --willag
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Anyway, two dubs!? And not only that, but Funi are outsourcing it to NYAV? So is the dub that got included with the UK/AU release a UK effort with British accents and all that? Because I kinda wanna watch them both now. It's a shame I probably won't be able to legally watch this dub without importing because I really like NYAV Post dubs.

When was the last time a show or movie got two dubs coming out within months of each other? (Not counting those awful Animax dubs which I absolutely refuse to acknlowedge as 'professional').

The UK release includes the same dub cast I believe (Daniel J Edwards was tweeting about the UK release before saying he's in it so I assume the casts are the same) so it makes me wonder who commissioned the dub since the UK release has been out and will be for quite awhile compared to the Funi release
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy about this! I'd heard this film was great but hadn't gotten around to tracking down a way to see it.

Cannot wait to check it out now.
JRPictures

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

The UK release includes the same dub cast I believe (Daniel J Edwards was tweeting about the UK release before saying he's in it so I assume the casts are the same) so it makes me wonder who commissioned the dub since the UK release has been out and will be for quite awhile compared to the Funi release

AnimeLimited (the UK licencor) commissioned the dub themselves

It's the exact same situation that happened with 009 Re:Cyborg. AnimeLimited picks it up first, commissions a dub for it and then Funimation ends up licencing it for US release.[/url]
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy about this news. I was going to import Psychic School Wars which was release May 30 in the UK from Anime Ltd. but I held out in the hopes that Funi would release it here. Lupin the Third part 4 also has a dub sanctioned by Anime Ltd. coming soon but I went ahead and preordered it from amazon.co.uk. I just could not wait for the US release but I hope there is an announcement soon about its release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2