• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Second Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
i was thinking more along the lines of power rangers or Voltron
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
The way Taki plays off everyone else is why she's my favorite alumni, she's got such a interesting attitude but it's still nice.
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So again, I find myself asking how Mimasaka hasn't been taken away by the police yet. Seriously – this week he flat-out admits that he hacked into Mitsuru's computer and we see him lurking under the desk like a variation of the monster under the bed. How is that not illegal, if not at least against school rules?

Really? This again? You do realize he didn't hack anything, he just remembered the passwords the guy was using... and he didn't blatantly mentioned he stole the information from his PC, he just stated that he was using bad passwords for his PC. There won't be any proof of him stealing the information, because he was not caught nor did he leave any traces of stealing it... >.>
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I could practically hear my own dad reminding me that, in his words, “falling is all part of skiing” when he picked me back up after a colossal spill.

Even so, there are limits. Smile (sorry, OT)

It was quite satisfying to see him taken down a dozen pegs, so I think my only quibble is that while those dishes looked like stew, neither seemed to fall under the basic definition of a stew, which is slow cooking. It's hard to wrap my head around the idea of cooking all the components, especially grilling the meat over a charcoal fire, and then throwing them together and calling it a stew. Tasty though it surely is, it seems to defy the fundamental spirit of stew.

@Guus van Voorst: he didn't remember the password, he guessed it. Unauthorized access is still hacking whether the password is easy or next-to-impossible to guess. And his response to "You saw my notes" was "You made my work easy," which is a pretty clear admission. If the files weren't internet accessible, then it's also an admission of breaking and entering his room. While this might not be good enough for a court of law, it should be enough for school administrators to act, unless they just don't give a damn what their students do, which seems to be the case. Even his stalking crosses the line, and he's openly bragged about that.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
i am just glad that hump is out of the contest.
i am debating getting the manga now the entire series on amazon is ~$130 so that may be a good deal.

I have been thinking of what Erina said at the end. that he was still a long way from battling her.

given the way the school works he probably has to battle all 9 of the top ten seats below her to get a shot.

Now anyone want to start picking between the remaining two for the winner of that side.
Ryō Kurokiba or Akira Hayama
I think it could be Akira Hayama but with this series you never ever know.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Rockweaver wrote:

I have been thinking of what Erina said at the end. that he was still a long way from battling her.

given the way the school works he probably has to battle all 9 of the top ten seats below her to get a shot.

Not quite - Erina's seat 10, meaning the other 9 are above her. Of the ones we've already seen, Eizan is #9 and Isshiki is #7. Soma's operating under the idea that since the Fall Classic is where new members of the Elite are chosen, if he wins that would put him in position to challenge Erina for her seat.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Rockweaver wrote:

Not quite - Erina's seat 10, meaning the other 9 are above her. Of the ones we've already seen, Eizan is #9 and Isshiki is #7. Soma's operating under the idea that since the Fall Classic is where new members of the Elite are chosen, if he wins that would put him in position to challenge Erina for her seat.

i was confused i somehow got the idea that she was the first over all chair. now i think i will have to buy the manga to get all the small parts of info that i did not get in the anime. thanks
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
this match was ruined since yukihira puts his livelihood on the line,as a defeat was probable before, by doing that it was but assured that he would win.

Quote:
a bonus boxing match,
I assume that amde you uncomfortable, as it was wrestling.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
^Not particularly uncomfortable, although I can't say it was my favorite part. It's more that I typed the wrong word. Embarassed Laughing
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I've been really disappointed with Second Plate. Even more than halfway though the season and everything still feels rushed beyond all belief. We had 6 matches before the finals and ONE only ONE had any build up, the rest all started and ended in one episode (Yes technically Megumi and Kurokiba ended in a different episode but it could have been placed at the end of episode 2.)

If I hadn't read the manga I would have almost no investment in the matches, they're rushed and I'm never given a chance to really connect to the characters and want to root for them. Sure watching season 1 can fill in that gap but without it you know nothing and are just speed through a glorified slideshow to summarize the true battle that went on.

It's not even jsut pacing that annoys me, there are strange direction and editing choices, some shots that should pan and hold on the scene flash by in a blink, The Foodgasms, Alice and Takumi's anger shots are all guilty of this. Normally in an Anime they pull back to really let you soak in those moments that were drawn as a full or two page spread in the manga but with this you blink and you miss it.

I'm not saying Second Plate is terrible, but IMO it's one of the worst anime Sequels/Second Seasons I've ever seen. Everything feels rushed and forced. Normally Anime are guilty of dragging out the longer arcs of their source material but this time it's the opposite, never have i seen such a long arc crammed into so few episodes. In the manga this arc was nearly 70+ chapters, but it's being forced to us in under 12 episodes.

For comparison, Fairy Tail's Tower of Heaven arc was just over 25 chapters (Give or take where you place the start and end points) and that was given just about 12 episodes and the pacing is good there.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
^You can count yourself lucky if this is one of the worst anime sequels you've seen. Heck, it isn't even the worst sequel airing this season for me (I don't really hate it but Berserk is worse holistically, as a sequel to the original, and especially as an adaptation of the manga). Yeah it is rushed but in a way that makes it not as good as it could be rather than actively bad. Manga chapters per episode is a reasonable guideline, but it is probably best not to be married to a particular number per episode. While the show could use more episodes, I sincerely doubt that it needs 35 or so. Plus the episode count was probably not something the creative staff had much of a say over. Personally I'll take a sequel that is a bit rushed over one that doesn't even finish the Fall Elections. That the original season didn't finish them was frustrating enough (though not necessarily in a bad way).
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I always liked about the Ryo vs Akira match was the Yu-Gi-Oh styled battle with the cards
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I'm not sure why they spent time on Ryo's backstory, since it didn't seem to add anything to what we've already been told about it. But I guess I'd rather look at chibi-Ryo than the dishes they cooked up, neither of which looked or even sounded appetizing to me at all. I did like the Yu-Gi-Oh card battle though.

In the Credit Where Credit is Due department, it's Steller's sea eagle. In the west, I'm always seeing Steller's jay credited to somebody named Stellar (or worse, being called a stellar jay like it's Best Bird or something), so it's gotten to be kind of a sore point. Very Happy I hope someone fixes that before the home video release.
Keyl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I've been really disappointed with Second Plate. Even more than halfway though the season and everything still feels rushed beyond all belief. We had 6 matches before the finals and ONE only ONE had any build up, the rest all started and ended in one episode (Yes technically Megumi and Kurokiba ended in a different episode but it could have been placed at the end of episode 2.)

If I hadn't read the manga I would have almost no investment in the matches, they're rushed and I'm never given a chance to really connect to the characters and want to root for them. Sure watching season 1 can fill in that gap but without it you know nothing and are just speed through a glorified slideshow to summarize the true battle that went on.

It's not even jsut pacing that annoys me, there are strange direction and editing choices, some shots that should pan and hold on the scene flash by in a blink, The Foodgasms, Alice and Takumi's anger shots are all guilty of this. Normally in an Anime they pull back to really let you soak in those moments that were drawn as a full or two page spread in the manga but with this you blink and you miss it.

I'm not saying Second Plate is terrible, but IMO it's one of the worst anime Sequels/Second Seasons I've ever seen. Everything feels rushed and forced. Normally Anime are guilty of dragging out the longer arcs of their source material but this time it's the opposite, never have i seen such a long arc crammed into so few episodes. In the manga this arc was nearly 70+ chapters, but it's being forced to us in under 12 episodes.

For comparison, Fairy Tail's Tower of Heaven arc was just over 25 chapters (Give or take where you place the start and end points) and that was given just about 12 episodes and the pacing is good there.

First of all, i don't agree that the pacing is that detrimental to the series, I've barely read the manga and haven't had a single problem with the series (except for a few nitpicks). Really the big complaints usually comes from manga readers wanting it to be one way but I'm kinda happy that most matches are 1 episode, really the only one that needed to be more is was Ryo, who we knew least about from the first series and Subaru, who was the big new character for this season. Everything else works fine since i assume everyone's already seen the first series.

And it seems like the Finals will be more focused since i expect it to take us all the way to Episode 11 or 12.

Also while we're talking about pacing, I don't think Tower of Heaven is a particular good example of a good paced Shonen. If you want good then it needs to have at least 3 to 4 chapters worth of content, like HxH.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the ending of E7. Now they have to give us a serious battle. I wonder if Ryo will take Soma serous or not.
spoiler[it will bother the hell out of him that he did not win vs Akira so you know he will come in focused. and Akira is already accepting how hard it is to battle Soma having almost lost to him last time.]
E8 has the potential to be good lets see how they do it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9