• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Typo in anime name

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cearon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hello,
first of all; while I am not new to the site this is my first post on the forums, so I hope this is the right part of the forums to post this in, and if not you have my apologies.

I found a typo in the Japanese name listing of a certain anime, found here anime#5215 .
The name listed is "Haru o Daiteita" while it should be "Haru wo Daiteita". Sources can be found here and here. When I wanted to suggest an alternative title it gave me this: "This title already exists: Haru wo Daiteita (OAV)" while referring back to the page with the typo.

I hope this typo can be solved, as it is really difficult to find the anime without the proper Japanese spelling (and I couldn't find it with the English title at all).

Greetz,
Dragon.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
The particle を (wo) is actually pronounced as "o" (but never written as お). When transliterated, either "o" or "wo" is appropriate, depending on what romanization method you're using. For example, in traditional Hepburn romanization, を is written as "wo", but using modern Hepburn, it's written as "o". According to this post, the encyclopedia follows the Wikipedia Japanese Manual of Style, which specifies that modern Hepburn is used, and specifically specifies that を is to be transliterated as "o" (likewise, は and へ are "wa" and "e," rather than "ha" and "he").

So, despite the fact that the series is written in Japanese as 春を抱いていた, the を becomes "o" when transliterated, making "Haru o Daiteita" the correct title.

(Also, something like this would go in the Encyclopedia forum, just FYI)
Cearon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
Thank you Dessa.

You explained it very well and I understand why ANN has chosen for this. I guess it's just ahead of the rest of the internet Wink. Still confusing though, but good to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1