• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
91 Days (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Lol, Fango fed Orco's men "Orco lasagne". I could see that it was what Fango was doing when we shifted to Fango in a chef outfit. Fango is one sick bastard, but he is entertaining.

I can guess that the important thing about getting the chicken was so that when they could make sure they were eating the intended chicken rather than what they thought was pork.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 6
I can guess that the important thing about getting the chicken was so that when they could make sure they were eating the intended chicken rather than what they thought was pork.

Didn't they explain what the chicken was for in the rooftop scene just before Fango's feast?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Unless they killed more than one chicken (which I fervently hope they did), they were eating the "pork" lasagna too. Shocked Because they showed a whole roasted chicken on the table.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Angelo made it clear that his plan was not to be leaked to Fango or the whole party would have died. The lasagne prepared by Fango and the one the protagonists were eating at the end are two completely different dishes, it so happens Nero had no wish to waste the chicken which they used for its blood.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
episode six

I've never been much of a fan of double bluffs in stories. It's such a tease. They're essentially dream sequences. You get some hypothetically important and interesting scene with sweeping ramifications and then it just gets undone. I wish I could say I saw through the double bluff through some insight into the characters or story, but really I didn't buy it just because I didn't think the show was capable of anything that interesting.

I've had a lot of (minor, in the big scheme of things) complaints with the show, but at this point I'm just bored which is more of a showstopper. It's pretty late for it, but sunk cost fallacy and all, so I'm going to bail out on this one.

I suspect, but cannot confirm, that as a genre piece 91 Days is pretty good. I can't confirm because it's in a genre I don't care for. I have some dispassionate hypotheses as to why people enjoy mafia stories, but no personal insight. Outside of that, I'm finding it hard to see a way in which 91 Days is succeeding - it isn't clever, consistent in tone, consistent in production quality, and it seems about as deep as a kiddy pool. I think I hoped for more, and stuck with it, since it's an oddity - mafia stories aren't rare but anime mafia stories are. The odd combination brought the hope of a unique take but it feels more like a collection of homages than its own thing. Ah well.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Eww, that was disgusting, and yet, not completely original. Just saw a similar scenario played out on a certain American live-action show on HBO a few months ago...which was also disgusting, but much better done (then again, no show can do revenge quite as well as spoiler[Game of Thrones].

I totally bought the double bluff, and that was well done. Avilio being a cipher works in his favor when he's playing both sides. What would he have done if Orco revealed that he *had* written the letter? Would he have killed Nero for real? I can't guess what's in that kid's head.
Setting up Fango with that much power will probably bite everyone in the backside sooner rather than later.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Ah family drama really brings tragedies in this story.

I think 3 people got shot and killed in this week's episode alone? That Fio woman's life will never be the same again. Avilio has been pulling the strings and I have to say, he is just as clever as Fango (not sure what his move is in the upcoming episodes)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
This is the episode in which probably everything went Angelo's way in his grand scheme to finish off the two remaining known murderers of his family. Fango takes a back seat for once, while the spotlight falls on the tragedy that is the Vanetti family.

I wasn't sure who the title was referring to, but it became really obvious that it was Frate who was the pitiful actor. Even if the denouement at the end hadn't taken place, Frate would have either drunk himself to death or overdosed on sleeping pills.

I wonder what was in the message Fio received in the bouquet of flowers. I'm almost certain Angelo wrote it, but Fio certainly fell for it hook, line and sinker and resolved the immediate threat posed by Ronaldo for the time being.

Angelo's final message to Fio was a strange one. Viewers all know Fio did the deed, but why did Angelo say Frate did the job leaving Nero to clean up the blood debt in his place?! Fio obviously knew what he said wasn't true, but she displayed no reaction to Angelo's whisper and left. Despite Fio's wish for her kin to reconcile, Angelo's schemes have torpedoed that outcome in quite a spectacular fashion.

Surely the Chicago Galassias are going to declare war on the small-town Vanettis, but if Angelo wants to finish off Nero and his father Vincent then he'll need to scheme a way to keep them alive whilst crushing the Galassias in the process. He's no closer to finding out the identity of the fourth murderer but if events progress the way he's planned them he'll get a lucky break soon enough.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Because clearly whatever was in the note convinced Fio that both her brothers would end up six feet under if Ronaldo still lived. She realized they could never go back regardless. Angelo's final words confirmed the "family" would be saved from war with the Galassias and only Frate and Ronaldo needed to die. It wasn't ideal but it's the best that could be made out of the situation

I don't see why. Angelo basically saved the Vanettis from war for now. It's more likely the Vanettis will set up their rebellion against the Galassias in the coming episodes. Angelo just needs them alive long enough for him to learn the fourth conspirator's identity and then he can let the Galassias kill them off (or at least distract them so he can do the dirty deed and escape unnoticed).

Warning: after-credit scene this episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing: Fio knows who really murdered Ronaldo and so does Angelo. Him telling her what the "official story" sounds like in public doesn't make much sense when both know that's clearly not the case and the war which she desperately wants to avoid is definitely coming. Her brother isn't coming back (that part of the statement was true) and she's almost certain that Nero did the deed but not for the reason Angelo gave.

Once the Galassias get word their son has died at the hands of a Vanetti, a private army will descend on the city of Lawless which the Vanettis are helpless against. Fango will probably see an opportunity either in playing both sides against each other or assisting the Vanettis against their common enemy to buy time for him to seize sole control over the town. Angelo does not want anyone else apart from himself to finish off Nero and Vincent and he'll need to scheme and kill a lot of people to make sure he gets his way without blowing his cover. The Galassias are NOT going to Angelo's contract killers.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Frate killed Ronaldo and Nero killed Frate to prove his loyalty to the Galassias. Assuming they buy the story, why would "war" be coming? The supposed murder's been punished for his crimes.

So why would Fio take issue at this juncture? She likely believed Ronaldo was going to get both her brothers killed. Angelo essentially promised she, her child, and Nero would be safe with this false story. It's not ideal, but she knew that the moment she decided to pull the trigger on Ronaldo. Losing him and Frate is better than the whole family going up in flames. If the Vannettis or Galassias do spark a war, it'll be later down the line beyond what she foresaw.
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm also sure there won't be a war with the galassias. This episode went into too much trouble to create this scenario just to have it blow up in the next one. I expect there will be a funeral and Nero will have serious sucking up work to do.

I think things will slow down a little on that front and go into a different direction. Probably in finding the 4th guy and perhaps Nero's depression.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:52 am Reply with quote
That moment when Angelo tricked Nero into unnecessarily killing his own brother, and in the end made himself a replacement for him. Angelo's revenge is simply delicious.

I am kind of having gleeful enjoyment out of the horrible things happening.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
@Morry

Big assumption to make about the Galassias buying the story. It's not a given until next week's episode is aired. The big Chicago mob losing one of its sons to a small-town family allied by marriage but riven by internet dissent which was made public might well desire more than just a blood repayment before the issue is fully resolved.

She brought Nero and Frate together to talk to each other in the hopes of ironing out their differences, so I don't follow the argument that losing a brother and husband was her least worst option since she wasn't willing to lose anyone in the first place. We don't know where the train is headed either, since she's carrying the next generation of the Galassias any destination away from Chicago would hint at running away from impending conflict.

I suppose the answers I'm looking for will be revealed over the coming weeks, so little point wondering aloud until then.
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
But also a big assumption the Galassias are not going to buy the story. Again, they've taken too much effort into making this scenario possible, I don't believe they'll let it blow up soon. It might blow up, but it'll have a completely different cause.

And all Fio wants is for everything to calm down. That's why she brought the brothers together and why she killed Ronaldo. Especially now that she's pregnant. It would be out of character for her to now try to stir up trouble, even by leaving.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a different direction next. One that's more focused on Angelo and his revenge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5