• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Strike the Blood Video Anime's Promo Video Reveals Title, New Cast, Staff

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know this series was popular enough to warrant special OVAs. I can think of a ton of other light novels i'd love to see get this treatment.
AliceTheHare

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if crunchyroll is going to stream these.
STZM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Hyped love this anime
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
*watches video*

The things I'm going to do to strike my blood.

Now we can all hope for STB III after this. Very Happy
Tind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Iie senpai! Watashitachi no kenka desu!!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
STB has never been a great franchise, but it's always entertained and is at or near the top of the heap when it comes to gorgeous female character designs. A few more episodes will certainly be welcomed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Tind wrote:
Iie senpai! Watashitachi no kenka desu!!

I never get tired of hearing that.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
wait... what?

this gets a second season but not tokyo ravens? or even black bullet? or or ...

oh well. hopefully the second season will be better than the first but i'm not holding my breath.

I had about the same amount of 'hope' for the series as re:zero when it first started airing. Sadly it did not live up to it.
While in the beginning the MC was a bit interesting but he just became just another LN harem Protagonist complete with not really loli teacher and a sister complex.
At least "the irregular at magic..." had nice fight scenes... even if he was hilariously overpowered spoiler[he's practically an Ajin with an antimatter gun and a special imagine breaker wave]

out of curiosity has the LN been reviewed on this site yet? If the original source does a better job telling the story without being to generic I'd definitely give it another shot.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
this gets a second season but not tokyo ravens?

Well, I'm not sure that Tokyo Ravens is in a very good spot to have more more of it adapted right now. The first season covered the first 9 books (though IIRC, about one book's worth of material was skipped in the middle, since a couple of the books in the middle are mostly side stories), but there are only 14 books out now, meaning that they only have 5 more books to adapt (which is a bit much for 12-13 episodes and not enough for 24-26). With the end of the 13th book, it looked like they were getting very close to the end of the series, but I don't know whether the 14th book ended it or not (since AFAIK, there's no fan translation of that one online yet, I haven't read it). If it did end it, then they could now be looking at adapting the rest, and if it didn't, then it wouldn't really make sense to adapt any more of the main story before the novels finished. They could do a short OVA based on some side story stuff (there are 3 side story novels), but I don't know how likely they are to do that given that they haven't already.

Of course, they could do an OVA like Strike the Blood II, since it could be a non-standard length and just adapt a couple of books, but there really isn't a good way to split the remaining books up. Except for the first book that's left (book 10), the books are pretty much one long story rather than being separate stories, and given how much action is in book 10 and how little is in 11, I very much doubt that they'd want to do an OVA of 10 and leave 11 for another series. It might make for a good OVA, but it would make for a very weak start to the series that came after.

So, all in all, Tokyo Ravens really isn't in a good spot for more anime to be made aside from maybe some side story stuff in an OVA, and I expect that they're either going to wait until the light novel series is complete to adapt the rest, or they're never going to bother to adapt the rest, and sadly, given how few light novel series get fully adapted, I think that the odds are very good that they won't ever finish the adaptation. Sad We can certainly hope though. Smile

Calsolum wrote:
out of curiosity has the LN been reviewed on this site yet? If the original source does a better job telling the story without being to generic I'd definitely give it another shot.

I don't think that there's been a review of the Strike the Blook light novels on ANN, but if you enjoyed the anime, I'd definitely recommend reading the books. However, the anime does do a very good job of covering most of the material (at least with those books that Yen Press has released thus far), so I don't know how much more you'll get out of it. There are going to be some details that the anime skipped, but it's not one of those series where the anime skipped over a ton of the details, which unfortunately does happen with some other series (e.g. the anime for Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? skipped out on a bunch of stuff; you definitely want to read the books for that series if you liked the anime). Where the Strike the Blood novels will definitely be worth something though will be with book 7, because the anime adapted through book 6, and this OVA is starting with book 9 - so they skipped books 7 and 8. Unfortunately, we're going to have to wait about a year for book 7 in English though, since they're releasing a book every 4 months, and book 4 comes out in September. So, I very much enjoy being able to read each book when it comes out, but it's definitely annoying that we have to wait so long to get new material.

Ultimately, to get the full story, I expect that you'll need to read the novels, but at least for now, what's been released was very faithfully adapted. So, whether it will be worth it to you to read the books that did get adapted probably depends on how much you liked the anime and how you feel about the anime and light novels being very similar.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

Strike the Blood had average sales of 6,225 per video volume in Japan vs. only 2,567 for Black Bullet and 2,247 for Tokyo Ravens.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Strike the Blood had average sales of 6,225 per video volume in Japan vs. only 2,567 for Black Bullet and 2,247 for Tokyo Ravens.

Also a MASSIVE boost to the LNs. Tokyo Ravens only gave a mediocre boost, while Black Bullet didn't give much of a boost because of how lolis keep dying in it. Since we all know the girls are going to die.... well, you get the picture.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Calsolum wrote:

wow i expected an answer like that but being hit with the actual numbers... is disheartening

@Kalessin
ah now that you mention it i think i did in fact go check on the source and found that there wasn't much left, i sorta assumed there be enough content out by now but i guess it doesn't publish that frequently.

DmonHiro wrote:

Also a MASSIVE boost to the LNs. Tokyo Ravens only gave a mediocre boost, while Black Bullet didn't give much of a boost because of how lolis keep dying in it. Since we all know the girls are going to die.... well, you get the picture.

Ha not gonna lie but i really didn't care much for the lolis and the main character was mildly interesting.
My main reason for liking it was Kagetane and the MC's boss, I really wanted to see what mayhem Kagetane would bring forth and where Kiriha's(think that was her name) revenge obsession would lead her.
Looking back on it a LN where its mandatory for the primary attacker to be a loli would probably work against it lol.
Oh well as long as the LN doesn't get canceled or they suddenly decide not to translate any more I can live with there not being another anime.
I've got the first 3 volumes on my shelf but I'm patiently waiting for the 5th to be released because if the summaries are accurate thats the only one that goes past the anime.

alright back to the original topic but is strike the blood actually that good?
I mean going from the stats compared to the other LN I listed it certainly seems more popular but my impression of it when i first started it was that it was entertaining but as the series went on it did nothing new or unique and quickly bored me.
Or is this entirely a marketing strategy and the sole reason for animating the second season is to boost the LN sales(I mean surely they want to sell more LN but is the series interesting because I certainly didn't think so)
AP24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
http://www.hmv.co.jp/newsdetail/article/1608091029/

The second season will cover Vol 9, 11 & 12.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:51 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
alright back to the original topic but is strike the blood actually that good?
I mean going from the stats compared to the other LN I listed it certainly seems more popular but my impression of it when i first started it was that it was entertaining but as the series went on it did nothing new or unique and quickly bored me.
Or is this entirely a marketing strategy and the sole reason for animating the second season is to boost the LN sales(I mean surely they want to sell more LN but is the series interesting because I certainly didn't think so)

I've really liked Strike the Blood all the way through and would definitely recommend it, but it's obviously not for everyone. And I have no idea what you would consider new or unique. I expect that if you didn't like the anime, you won't like the novels. The portion of the anime which covers the first three books is very faithful to the books, and I assume that that's true for the rest (though Yen Press has only published the first three books thus far, so I don't know; the later portions of the anime use fewer episodes to adapt those books, so they may very well have skipped some material there). But by and large, what you see in the anime is pretty much what you get with the novels modulo some minor details. So, if you didn't like the anime, I don't expect that you'll like the novels. If you did like the anime, then you'll like the novels, though you may not feel that it's not worth reading the ones that were adapted, since the anime adaptation is so faithful. As it stands though, it looks like we're going to have to read the 7th and 8th books to get that material, since this new OVA is skipping them, and if they're adapting three books in 8 episodes like it sounds like they're doing, then there's a much higher risk of them skipping stuff, making it that much more worthwhile to read the books. But if you didn't like the first season, I don't know why you'd bother with any more Strike the Blood - be it in novel or anime form. What you got with that season seems to be a very good representation of what Strike the Blood is, though it's quite possible that some of the later stuff will interest you more (e.g. it's clear that there's some interesting material to be covered with regards to back stories that the anime hasn't covered yet, but whether it's the kind of stuff that you're looking for, I have no idea).

AP24 wrote:
http://www.hmv.co.jp/newsdetail/article/1608091029/

The second season will cover Vol 9, 11 & 12.

Thanks for the info! Though 3 books in 8 episodes is definitely on the short side if they're still doing episodes that are about 25 minutes long. That combined with the fact that they're skipping two books is worrisome. But I'm definitely excited. Here's to hoping that it's fantastic! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1