• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Delta's 1st Walküre Album Earns Gold Disc Certification

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Nice. The vocal songs are pretty much the only thing good about the anime at this point. Well, and Freyja is still adorable.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this after episode 10 (guess why Anime cry ). I suffered through the Macross Frontier movies for the music, but Walkure by themselves weren't really enough to keep me invested in this one. Might be good as a stand-alone album, though.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm still confused as to whether or not this apparent idol group is the entire focus of the show. Shouldn't I associate Macross with giant robots at the forefront and maybe an idol or two sometimes? Apparently not.
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
I'm still confused as to whether or not this apparent idol group is the entire focus of the show. Shouldn't I associate Macross with giant robots at the forefront and maybe an idol or two sometimes? Apparently not.

Macross is robots AND music (songs). So an idol group makes sense. besides there are other macross series where robots barely appear.

Regarding Delta, it is meh, can't understand the hype, Frontier (series) is way better in everything... music, story, battles, episode development, characters, you name it. This one is quite the disappointment.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
hurafloyd wrote:
Macross is robots AND music (songs). So an idol group makes sense. besides there are other macross series where robots barely appear.

Regarding Delta, it is meh, can't understand the hype, Frontier (series) is way better in everything... music, story, battles, episode development, characters, you name it. This one is quite the disappointment.

Well I'm still dont understand why Macross fans keep comparing old series with Delta. I dont watch any Macross anime before but I like Delta. So what?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I regard Delta as much better put together than Frontier. Frontier movies were pretty good though. My experience with the franchise is everything. The only bad thing in the franchise is Zero.

Frankly robots/mecha haven't been important in Macross since Plus. Most of the entries rely on the love triangle and music. When Kawamori was thinking up Delta I think he can be quoted as thinking 'what role will music play in this series?'

The funny thing about the franchise is anything you can point out that is great about the franchise, many entries actively buck the trend. if you like the hardcore nature of Plus, the goofier 7 will be offputting. If you enjoyed Highschool in Space, the old time war drama and sci-fi concepts of the original will be odd.

I don't hate Frontier, either. My dog is named Ranka, after all. (honestly more of a Sheryl fan!)

Both Frontier and Delta suffer from a lack of adequate air and fleet combat that I can believe. Blasting random bugs, and constantly fighting the same 'ace' pilots makes 7's stock footage battles suddenly desirable again.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
hurafloyd wrote:

Well I'm still dont understand why Macross fans keep comparing old series with Delta. I dont watch any Macross anime before but I like Delta. So what?

Frontier is anomaly in its own respect. It was fantastic, but like the people who still have their nostalgia grip on the original SDF, they hold those entries as the idea of what Macross should be so they go back to those as their first comparison when they don't feel a new piece of media holds up to their expectations. I don't necessarily think they're wrong in wanting each entry to be just as good or better than the last, but they really have to consider just how high their expectations are set. Another thing is that Frontier was also many people's first Macross so to them it remains as the high point of the series, if not the only one assuming they haven't gone back to watch the others.

It's the same for any long running series really, but people should try to base their criticism around the actual show rather than going "Well X show does Y better because it does."

All of the entries are far from perfect, but I can still find enjoyment in most of them because I don't expect any of them to be masterpieces; Macross has had a lot of rough spots over the years.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Precisely. Macross is a reflection of the current culture. Sci-Fi was huge during SDF's run. the kind of music Fire Bomber pumped out just wasn't popular before or after. Frontier and Delta are more similar to each other than the other shows/movies, but the music is still selling quite well, as evidenced by this news article.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:

Frontier is anomaly in its own respect. It was fantastic, but like the people who still have their nostalgia grip on the original SDF, they hold those entries as the idea of what Macross should be so they go back to those as their first comparison when they don't feel a new piece of media holds up to their expectations. I don't necessarily think they're wrong in wanting each entry to be just as good or better than the last, but they really have to consider just how high their expectations are set. Another thing is that Frontier was also many people's first Macross so to them it remains as the high point of the series, if not the only one assuming they haven't gone back to watch the others.

It's the same for any long running series really, but people should try to base their criticism around the actual show rather than going "Well X show does Y better because it does."

All of the entries are far from perfect, but I can still find enjoyment in most of them because I don't expect any of them to be masterpieces; Macross has had a lot of rough spots over the years.

I would be agree if they compare something like mecha design, or the premise was. But the music/song is sucks? Different person, different taste. I dont like all Walkure songs but some of them are really nice. Even the anisong I heard from anime I never watch before, I ended up liking it.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
hurafloyd wrote:
Blatch wrote:

I respect your opinion but you've got to admit that JUNNA (Mikumo singing voicie) at only 14/15 years old had a freaking voice singing talent as near as professionnel. Aside this series have hype because of the dozen of reference about the Macross lore Univers and just watch Macross Delta episode 19 that will give you so much chill.

And the love triangle is much better than Frontier IMO we got a Jenius in it

MirageXHayate let's not sink that ship Razz
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
hurafloyd wrote:

I agree. While I do like them finally getting around into explaining more about the Protoculture, the rest of the story seems weak. Personally, I think the downfall is them using heavy influences from the AKB anime. As much Macross 7 gets flak, I really think that's better than Delta, with Frontier at the top.

Hikarunu wrote:

People always compare older with the newer. We saw it with Star Trek, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, so on and so forth. It's the tendency of older viewers to judge the new off the old, which they loved and enjoyed in their younger days.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
7 would be better than Delta and maaybe Zero if it were half as long as it was. And if Basara wasn't the lead (okay, arguably Mylene's the lead, a much better one anyway).
I do think that Delta is the weakest Macross except 7 (I don't count II). Songs are obviously up for preference, I find pretty much all of them mostly forgettable apart from Ikenai Borderline. Other than that we have two bores out of 3 main characters, archetypical anime idols with maybe two or three genuine human moments for all of them (not counting Freyja here) and a war with almost no casualties. It still have it's moments. Unlike 7 for example, I don't have to listen to the same song for 15 episodes in a row. The HayatexFreyja relationship itself is well enough done imo and they still know how to insert the songs into the episode for maximum effect.

AkaRed wrote:
And the love triangle is much better than Frontier IMO we got a Jenius in it

There's is no functional love triangle in Delta, because the Jenius isn't doing anything.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

People always compare older with the newer. We saw it with Star Trek, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, so on and so forth. It's the tendency of older viewers to judge the new off the old, which they loved and enjoyed in their younger days.

Huh? Those things you mentioned are not even Japanese cartoon aka anime. It is completely different thing.

This is more like blind fandom problem. Just see Gundam fandom hating Gundam Seed. While I also hating Seed(it is a fact),I dont do something like comparing which series are superior. In fact, I like to watch new Gundam series given I more into older Gundam series (UC timeline). I give them chance at least. I watched Gundam Age, Build Fighters and G-Reconguista. But I dont make statement that older series are better whether I like new series or not.

Now that I like Macross Delta and thinking to get into older Macross series. But some of you in Macross fandom make stupid remark Delta songs are sucks compared to older Macross series. Maybe I should cancel my plan to become one of Macross fans. I mean, song got nothing to do with anime writing, design and how the story progress. It is just a mere song made for your entertainment. I can like a random song from Love Live even I dont watch any LL anime before. The same thing happened to Macross Delta. I bet some of non Macross fans actually buy Walkure album song. That might explained this good record sales.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm really loving Macross Delta. Yeah it's not as good as Frontier, but that doesn't mean it's not a lot of fun in its own right. I think that if it weren't following something as well liked as Frontier (perhaps if it followed 7 for example), reception among Western fandom might be better. Delta has flaws, but it's still a good show. As for the love triangle being barely there, it's not surprising. Kawamori basically said he wanted to remove one aspect of the formula (music, mecha, love triangle) this time around but wasn't allowed to, and it's pretty clear that what he wanted to remove was love triangle, because his heart just isn't in that aspect of it. The stuff with Mirage is pretty tacked on and lazy, but honestly, that's hardly enough to ruin the whole show.

These album sales are more proof that BD sales aren't everything and that reception in Japan has also been very positive. They're on par with Frontier's album sales.

As for the AKB influence, it's not that strong. Frankly, Walkure isn't even an idol group. It's a tactical defense sound unit. Walkure is military. AKB0048 was very much an idol group.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:49 am Reply with quote
If I was an attorney for Harmony Gold, I would not be that quick to pull the copyright infringement card for uploads/fan translations because we are also to blame for this licensing limbo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2