• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rewrite (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
I found all of the screen transitions with Yoshino to be quite funny. Or really him in general, like how he seemed to be working up the sword bit.

I had the feeling when the newspaper girl called about a scoop that if he let her go alone, then there would be a good chance something horrible would happen.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
episode five

So, there was no follow-up to that weird after-credits scene from last week? Really!? Arg!

Probably the worst episode so far, though. The first half was funny, if kind of random at points (the pants zipper transition mentioned in other posts stands out as the shiny example here). The second half was just a combination of random gibberish (that might make sense later, or maybe not considering how things have gone so far) and ham-fisted environmental preaching.

Akane coming along on the final outing was interesting though. I can only assume she came along for that one, and only that one, because she knew what they were going to find and wanted to be there to see the reaction to it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Well that was tense, what a turn of events. I wish the show was like this from the beginning, now I'm worried about the ending. With this only being one cour, I hope they'll have enough time to explain it all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

The CGI stuff is really weird...not sure I can get used to that more.

So we got the revelation about Gaia this week.
Tennouji found out the truth about their club president and Chihaya. Meanwhile, Lucia and Shizuru did a nice job at cleaning up those monsters.

I'm more curious about Tennouji's special abilities though, in particular that wolverine-like claw on his arm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote
A big turning point in the series, where now the entire group has split.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
episode six

Everyone seems to be pretty happy for a big turning point, and I guess I sort of am too. Thing is, the delivery here is as weak as it was with the backstories. Considering this development is directly tied to the core of the story, rather than a specific route, it's even more damaging to have it delivered so ineffectively. The information was imparted, but there wasn't much impact.

My big hope is that now that we're past the turning point, the unique route they were doing for the anime can come into full swing and use the latter half of the series to deliver a worthy story on top of the first half's hastily constructed platform. I'm just worried that there are way too many unanswered questions (and, likely, questions that haven't even been brought up yet) for that to pan out.

TL;DR: The series is doing okay but I'm getting nervous.

That aside, I rather like the CG monsters. They're well designed and while clearly CG, they're not too jarring. They match the style well enough to not be jarring, and the style mismatch that remains actually feels fitting, given their role in the story.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
So they got Kana Hanazawa to voice Kagari. Interesting.

I thought some of the segments in particular the one with Yoshino to be funny. Also interesting to see more from Akane and Chihaya's side from this episode considering the previous episode's events.

New OP song is alright, personally liked the first one better though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:15 am Reply with quote
After being so silent and mysterious for so long, ribbon girl comes out as being named as Kagari, and although her true nature still a mystery, it is not quite the same thing. Maybe in a good way as it was kind of surprising how she could act.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
episode seven

Easily the best episode so far. The chemistry between Kagari and Kotarou is great. Though, the highlight was the extended gag that created Kagari's amnesia.

Still no explanation for the whole arm thing, though. I had figured that would come with Kagari's introduction but I guess not.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

This show is starting to bore me. I'm not sure if it's the lack of time or whatever, but the story doesn't work for me. I guess it's throwing too much at me, with too little development. The show spend half of its time doing, what now feels like pointless, comedic episodes and 2 episodes devoted to backstories. I'm left wondering, why did the show waste 2 episodes explaining us Lucia's and Shizuru's backstories? Why those 2 in particular? Because they are no more prevalent to the story than anyone else. Although I get what's happening, nothing feels kind of coherent. The show is just trying to do too much with too little time.

I'm really kind of puzzled at why they spend the whole 1st half doing fairly inconsequential stuff if they knew they only had 1 cour to work with. If they revealed this conflict earlier they could have spend more time explaining and exploring it and make the viewer more invested in it. Well that's at least what I feel about this show right now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:

Whoa shit got real, attack of the T-rex lol

The action was okay, not that impressive though (I never thought Rewrite's action was good for this series anyways). Tennouji vs. Midou was inevitable so I'm not too surprised to see it happen. Glad to see he wasn't the only one fight him as well.

Really wasn't fond of the weird CGI stuff though. The ending gave me some legit chills...the end of humanity?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
This, to me, is an example of a show that's doing a lot of stuff wrong, but yet keeps my attention. It took a long time to reveal what it's overall story was about, that's for sure. Still, I like the girls and I don't find the MC all that annoying. But yeah, not one of Key's stronger offerings.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
The best parts with the MC is when he does things like loudly proclaiming that self-proclaimed rival guy as his best friend.

The episode did get pretty real during that flashback of crazy fire guy, which had children being executed by soldiers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, anime. What other entertainment format will give you a show that has elements of goofy harem hijinks and then will htoughtfuly throw in a scene of children being lined up in front of a mass grave to be shot in the back of the head? It felt gratuitous and hastily handled.

If we had been more familiar with that character and had more flashbacks to what his life was like as a kid and his friends, that scene would have had way more impact. As it was, it came across as a quick snippet to say, "oh by the way, we're spending about 10 seconds of screen time to show you something really horrific so that you understand why this villain feels the way he does." Clumsy.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
His friends got killed by some random bad guys so he wants to destroy the entire world for it. The way the scene was made, made it seem like they wanted us to feel bad for him, but instead it just made me realize that the dude was simply batshit crazy. As if that wasn't already obvious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6