• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nelvana, Media Blasters, WEP Sign HP for Online Video Store

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Do the downloads work on iPods? If not, then this is already hosed.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
What exactly are On Demand DVDs?

And I'm surprised that Nelvana is selling Beyblade, and not it's recent series, Bakugan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if Nelvana will do it for CCS.
rpb3000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. What's this "On Demand DVD"? It sounds useful anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
rpb3000 wrote:
Hmm. What's this "On Demand DVD"? It sounds useful anyway.

Well if it's like Imaginasian deal they will burn your order on to DVD-R's as the orders come in. They will then be shipped to you without any packaging except a paper sleave to hold the DVD-R(although in IA's case you have the option to buy a keepcase with volume one of a series).

It's a cost cutter for everone, customers and companies alike. And really the best definition of economy anime that has come out in while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
This idea is going to tank. Why? Poor selection. They're trying to sell digital downloads media. This presumes two major things: that it's going to retain its following, and that they are going to buy.

But that following is primarily young children without money, whose parents will likely wonder why they shouldn't just watch it on TV or on youtube.

Really, the idea that many older anime fans are going to pick this up (assuming that the fanbase of this show is even aware that BeyBlade is anime to begin with) is frankly just a little out there.

But the biggest travesty is that when this idea inevitably fails to meet Nelvana's expectations, it will be used across the board as an example of why downloadable anime "just doesn't work."

Digital downloads are the way to go, but companies need to really take a chance and put out stuff that the fans who make the most use of the internet to get their anime will actually watch.

Example: next time, you are on Youtube, type in "Naruto 100" and contrast the 300,000 hits with the language that those clips have been subtitled to. The power of a real, genuinely successful series compels you..
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
hmm, i could've sworn Media Blasters had another big property they were promoting.

oh wait...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1