• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rewrite

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Giving a long VN a one-cour treatment, even if it is an original story (which I have my doubts about that statement, but I digress), is a bad idea that has been repeated numerous times in the past.

IMHO, Rumbling Hearts, White Album 2, and either season of ef are all examples of good one-cour adaptations of lengthy VNs (caveat: I'm not sure how much of WA2 the anime covers).

Now that I'm caught up, Rewrite feels different from most of the VN adaptations I've seen, with their "let's do this girl's arc for 3-5 episodes" approach (which I enjoyed in Clannad, but had tired of by the time Little Busters! rolled around). In this stretch, it feels more like a typical school-club-meets-the-supernatural anime. Maybe a little too much, actually. Have supernatural battles become commonplace?
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was a really great episode!

My only complaint would be that Kagari started talking a bit too much too suddenly, but I loved her personality. I wonder if that's how she acts in Harvest Festa (I haven't read it), since the creators did say that what we see of her in Rewrite isn't really her true personality. Of course, I also love how she's portrayed there, and I think it's for the best that she stayed that way in the visual novel, but I do like this silly personality.

Aside from that, everything plot-related still comes from the game, except for that last bit with Gil and Pani (after not appearing since the first episode!). Shizuru's bit was also original, but it was pretty much nothing. Seems like we also got our first glimpse at the City of Stone. spoiler[They took the name too literally. I guess that's why it didn't appear before.]

Let's see how it keeps up.

invalidname wrote:
IMHO, Rumbling Hearts, White Album 2, and either season of ef are all examples of good one-cour adaptations of lengthy VNs (caveat: I'm not sure how much of WA2 the anime covers).

I believe the WA 2 anime only covers the Introductory Chapter, which VNDB puts at a length of 2-10 hours. So, yeah, 1 cour should be more than enough for that. I haven't seen or read the others, so I couldn't say anything about them.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
My only complaint would be that Kagari started talking a bit too much too suddenly, but I loved her personality.

It was the rock that hit her in the head in the beginning: http://image.prntscr.com/image/b6b55056746242ad90e432dd20bbe924.jpg

And the implication of where it came from makes it all the more funny and would be amazing if they did it for the reason me and several VN readers think they did it.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And the implication of where it came from makes it all the more funny and would be amazing if they did it for the reason me and several VN readers think they did it.

spoiler[Moon Kotarou writing it into Kagari's plan?] Laughing
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:
It was the rock that hit her in the head in the beginning: http://image.prntscr.com/image/b6b55056746242ad90e432dd20bbe924.jpg

Huh, I didn't make that connection. It makes sense.

About the implications you mentioned, that seems likely. spoiler[I still don't want them to mix Moon and Terra into this season, though.]
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
In fact, nearly everything that the series has done so far now looks like a set-up specifically for this episode. The writers were never trying to adapt the overall content in truncated form; they were just using the most relevant bits as the foundation for this anime content.

This may be giving the show a bit too much credit. Only the broader details (Guardian vs. Gaia, supernatural elements) were really required set up. The value of Shizuru and Lucia's truncated backstories remains nebulous. Not to say that this decision may not be redeemed at a later point, but right now it seems like there should have been a more graceful way of introducing the secret conflict the main character is being drawn into. It's especially curious that only the Guardian characters were given this treatment - if they wanted to connect us to the characters before the tragic shattering of the group, this lack of equity is puzzling since they've really haven't invested any sentiment in Gaia (especially Akane), and only a little in Kotori. These characters make get fleshed out later, but it's too late for that to provide impact to death of the Occult Club.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
Quote:

spoiler[Moon Kotarou writing it into Kagari's plan?] Laughing

Selipse wrote:
RaylenCypher wrote:

Huh, I didn't make that connection. It makes sense.

About the implications you mentioned, that seems likely. spoiler[I still don't want them to mix Moon and Terra into this season, though.]

spoiler[The hilarious implication is Moon Kagari got frustrated and decided to chuck a rock at her twin, hence why it looked white.]
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Wow, that was a really great episode!

My only complaint would be that Kagari started talking a bit too much too suddenly, but I loved her personality. I wonder if that's how she acts in Harvest Festa (I haven't read it), since the creators did say that what we see of her in Rewrite isn't really her true personality. Of course, I also love how she's portrayed there, and I think it's for the best that she stayed that way in the visual novel, but I do like this silly personality.

She acts similarly in the gag ending you get if you 100% the visual novel. It's the spoiler[Oppai ending] if you haven't seen it. That's partly why I love this episode so much. I'm looking forward to the rest of the Kagari route.

Maybe there'll be a new version of that ending for the updated Rewrite release.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so sure I would rate this series anywhere near a B.. as a viewer this show puts off a strong vibe of confusion.. I hope the writers have a plan moving forward because as of this point they lost me.

I'll stick with it for now.. but if this continues I am gonna add this to my dropped list.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
For the people who've been posting comparisons to the visual novel in the forum, I wonder if someone could provide a thousand-foot overview of the VN, like:

• How good or bad the fan translation is and who did it (with an official version on the way from Key, I'm obviously not going to start reading the fanwork now, of course)
  • Honestly, where Rewrite's reputation is among Key's other major works (Clannad, Kanon, Little Busters!, etc.).
  • How branch-y this VN is. Do you make a lot of choices that greatly alter your course through the game, or is there one story with only minor tweaks based on your choices?

Thanks in advance…
Selipse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
For the people who've been posting comparisons to the visual novel in the forum, I wonder if someone could provide a thousand-foot overview of the VN, like:

The translation is by Amaterasu. I can't exactly say how good the translation is without reading the original Japanese (especially since this is Romeo we're talking about), but I'd say it's good. It reads well.

Rewrite is definitely Key's most divisive work. It's the only one besides Planetarian that Maeda Jun didn't write for. The story is also on a different scale. Rewrite is really well received, but as you may have seen, not every big Key fan loves it. On VNDB, it has the second-highest score among Key. Behind Clannad, and just a tiny bit above Little Busters.

There are tons of choices during the common route, but mainly they only give you some different little scenarios or side-quests. After the common route, it branches out into 5 different storylines, which are the heroine routes. After finishing them, there's 2 extra routes.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
invalidname wrote:

The translation is by Amaterasu. I can't exactly say how good the translation is without reading the original Japanese (especially since this is Romeo we're talking about), but I'd say it's good. It reads well.

Rewrite is definitely Key's most divisive work. It's the only one besides Planetarian that Maeda Jun didn't write for. The story is also on a different scale. Rewrite is really well received, but as you may have seen, not every big Key fan loves it. On VNDB, it has the second-highest score among Key. Behind Clannad, and just a tiny bit above Little Busters.

There are tons of choices during the common route, but mainly they only give you some different little scenarios or side-quests. After the common route, it branches out into 5 different storylines, which are the heroine routes. After finishing them, there's 2 extra routes.

The lead guy who did the fan translation from Amaterasu is actually helping out with the official translation BTW.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Finally, a 100% original episode! It was pretty good. It made me laugh many times.
We got a bit of Kotori's route here, but it was so little and the situation was so different that I say it does count as original.
That end, though. Seems like we're getting Akane's route as a base for the rest of the anime?

spoiler[Also, the OP pretty much confirms that that scene from Chihaya's route is happening. Taking into account that final part with Sakuya... Will it happen next episode? If so, things are gonna escalate extremely quickly.]
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the Guardians are sacrificing members

I think you mean Gaia members, not Guardians. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
^
Ugh. And that wasn't the only error I had along that line.

Corrected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7