• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Game! (TV). (Season 1& 2)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
I made sure to look at all the notes that Nene wrote, and seeing the last one "Sophie-chan doesn't die" instantly grabbed me as confirming that it was the character Aoba made. Didn't expect that there was a follow up scene where she then shows Aoba how she was able to keep Sophia alive. As a fan of video games, I do enjoy hearing stories of the strange things people do in games, which can cause things like bugs and exploits.

I liked the little joke that Umiko made where she said she started off spying on the company.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Another funny episode. Girls working hard to get the work done while everyone got a nice little break afterward.

I hope Hajime gets more focus in this series, she' quite an underrated character. I still find Nene's voice to sound weird and we'll probably see more of her considering that she'll be working with Umiko. Hajime getting trolled by Yun was so priceless!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

What kind of horrible people would try to abuse a game's third person camera to try and look up a character's skirt to see if they have panties?........ Okay, I might have done it before, it was an achievement in a game once so I totally only do it to look for achievements..... Kind of annoyed me how some games go for the void under the dress though, totally takes me out of the game when I am fighting in Smash Bros. and there is a weird shadow. Okay now getting past outing myself as a pervert, the scene reminded me of what I think was an anime where a character talked about the first thing to do with an anime figure was to check.

Don't know about Ko, but Rin is totally smitten with Ko, getting Ko to feed her. Also looks like Umiko has got attached to Nene, that lip lick scene. Which I am sure was just teasing to the audience, but she did seem a little envious of the close relationship the both share.

Pretty sure I have not brought it up, but one thing I really like about the ED is the inclusion of the 8bit snake and fire, it feels like a really nice touch that just makes me feel nostalgic about games in general, a sort of celebration that the alignment of blocks can mean something in the context of the genre.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Yum, those donuts made me hungry.

Decent episode, gotta love the delusions Hifumi came up in her mind about Aoba. Honestly though, I think Aoba's jokes a bit too much at times.

The relationship dynamics between Aoba and Nene is quite something. They are almost like inseparable sisters imo. That ending cracked me up though, Nene has to be careful when working!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
That cable management is terrible, though, so it's not entirely her fault.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
A good episode. The flashback to Aoba's past was really funny! And the ending with jealous Rin was also nice. Smile
APMcAuley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 was another great episode, yeah for Devil Aoba.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
Aoba is definitely a sadist.

I also was quite entertained by the cat in this episode. So far I have found it rather uninteresting, but little scenes were funny like when the director teased that the sweets would make them look like the cat where we see it humorously posing (like one of them French girls), or how we see it struggling to climb up on the cat structure before almost straight away deciding to struggle to get down.

Rin looked to get a scare then. And Ko joked about breaking up and Aoba barely flinched.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
That trailer for their game is actually better than I had expected.

Also, it's amazing that a little makeover can make certain characters like Kou look so cute!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
Oh the Tokyo Game Show, it is pretty big in the industry..... when is it on? Oh my, it is actually this week, this is an incredibly relevant episode. My love of anime and gaming is kind of spilling over at the moment. One of the things I watch a lot are YouTube channels that talk about things like game leaks, so the mention of leaks here felt kind of funny. And I am one of those people who can get pretty into getting the strategy guides to games, even if they might not actually offer much advantage for playing the game to me. Things like the artwork is something I really like, so the little talk in the episode about it made me smile.

I did have the thought though that with modern gaming industry, debugging often does not finish with the actual release, day 1 updates are kind of common.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I did have the thought though that with modern gaming industry, debugging often does not finish with the actual release, day 1 updates are kind of common.

But everyone hates day 1 patches and it doesn't do a game's reputation any favours so it's best to avoid such things.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
I thought that was DLC. Anyway both PS4 and Xbox One require you to spend an hour or so (probably more with my internet) uploading even a physical game you own to the hard drive of the game, so there is no buy game and play it straight away anymore. At the very least many games in my experience are expected to have patches to glitches some balancing done pretty soon after launch.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
People hate DLC for different reasons. A day one patch says "So you gave us a product you knew was faulty" while DLC says "So you removed stuff from the game just so you'd squeeze more money out of us."

For the former, look at the last Tony Hawk game. The Day 1 patch was bigger than the actual game! And the game was still broken!
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Good series overall but not great. I mean, it's a slice of life comedy so I wasn't expecting that much.

However, the show itself was entertaining every week with Aoba and her office adventures. Plus, the finale gave her and Yagami a nice moment at the end which is quite fitting considering that it's Yagami that inspired Aoba to get involved in the gaming industry.

And oh God, that AD at the end is priceless.
Oh, there's still a special fan service OVA (announced recently) to look forward to.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

It was a good ending. I laughed, especially at the extra ending bit where Aoba, Kou, Rin and Kou ended up in an embarrassing scene of a candid camera program due to drunkenness and a last gag of a prize from Umiko. I did gasp when Nene started spoiling the game right in front of people, that was not good on her part.

For all the light and fluffy stuff, I think that there was a nice theme about how despite them all being adults, they could still be kind of kids at heart. Their enthusiasm for over getting even the game they made, no real need for them to abandon their little quirks that so called proper adults should have. Oh, funny though when they got it pointed out that they actually have the original audio files back at the office so they are a bit silly for trying so hard to get different drama CDs. But there was also that Kou's place as Aoba's superior and how respected she is for her work, she could feel really insecure about taking on the higher position, and you could kind of understand how she might feel that way and what might have gone through her mind since the beginning with worrying if she was leading Aoba correctly.

I had fun, I give a rating of Good (7/10). I would place it as a high one because I liked the adult workplace narrative, and yay video games, although maybe not full marks in that regard because it did not put as much focus on the work than another example. But the focus on office environment was pretty fine. New Game is a perfectly good show if you want something cute, maybe something away from high schools for once, and does not hurt if you are a bit of a fan of games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5