• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kabaneri's Life-Size Mumei Figure Unveiled in Color

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Large figures tend to be hit and miss, but this one looks very nice. 12? Never would I have while watching the show guessed Mumei would have been that young, 16 perhaps, but 12, seriously? Buut, it's fiction so comes down to artistic license...

That said, not really interested in the franchise or character, and it's definitely beyond my price range, so I'm out. But I must admit nonetheless, that's a good-looking figure... Smile
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Inopethflames wrote:
That's a pretty ridiculous price, how many huge anime fans are multimillionaires. I guess they hope 10 at least.

There seems to have been little problem selling items like this in the past, as the lottery system for the chance to purchase one should tell you. (The lottery system isn't new, I've also seen it for other expensive but limited run items).

A person doesn't need to be a multimillionaire to purchase this, they just need to earn far more than their living expenses, and decide to spend it on something like this vs. a better place to live, money toward a new(er) car, saving for retirement, etc..

Exactly. Realistically, if I lived in the city, and had no need for either of my cars, I could sell them and have plenty for this. I don't think I'd apply, even in that case, but I imagine there are plenty of wealthy software engineers living in the city with no need for a vehicle who have the spare change thanks to very consistent and low living expenses.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Exactly. Realistically, if I lived in the city, and had no need for either of my cars, I could sell them and have plenty for this. I don't think I'd apply, even in that case, but I imagine there are plenty of wealthy software engineers living in the city with no need for a vehicle who have the spare change thanks to very consistent and low living expenses.

Yeah, especially in places like Tokyo where public transportation is REALLY good. Honestly, to be blunt, either the people in question can afford it OR they won't have any place to PUT it anyway. (with the arms out like that, it's gotta be pretty BIG) Also, just as comparison, for things like the AKB elections, people needed to buy $30+ (not sure the actual price) CD sets for ONE vote, and I know there's things of individuals casting hundreds to THOUSANDS of votes. So, do the math... yeah.
S0N G3CK0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
So cool, hope they keep making more life size characters Cool
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
There seems to have been little problem selling items like this in the past, as the lottery system for the chance to purchase one should tell you. (The lottery system isn't new, I've also seen it for other expensive but limited run items).

A person doesn't need to be a multimillionaire to purchase this, they just need to earn far more than their living expenses, and decide to spend it on something like this vs. a better place to live, money toward a new(er) car, saving for retirement, etc..

At a little under US$25,000, it costs a bit more than my car when it was new, and I am no multimillionaire. I'm not even a singlemillionaire. Obvious, my car is a lot more useful than this statue, but hey, whatever floats their boat.

Makes me wonder how many people decided to participate in the lottery with the intention to sell this statue if they win. Looks really difficult to transport though, between its large size and its delicate and fragile shape.

HeeroTX wrote:
Yeah, especially in places like Tokyo where public transportation is REALLY good. Honestly, to be blunt, either the people in question can afford it OR they won't have any place to PUT it anyway. (with the arms out like that, it's gotta be pretty BIG) Also, just as comparison, for things like the AKB elections, people needed to buy $30+ (not sure the actual price) CD sets for ONE vote, and I know there's things of individuals casting hundreds to THOUSANDS of votes. So, do the math... yeah.

The type of fan who will throw that much money as a show of dedication must be a dream for an entertainment company.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
At times, even official character design/data books can be wrong for info concerning a manga/anime.

Of note, the 4th
"Naruto" data book (going off of fan translations though) says Shinra Tensei requires 5 elements + Yin-Yang. The same data book says that Nagato has 1/2 of the yin-yang requirement yet he is the puppeteer for the shinobi that used that jutsu.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The type of fan who will throw that much money as a show of dedication must be a dream for an entertainment company.

Hence, why the anime industry has churned out many "otaku pandering" shows.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Man, that's really great looking! If I had the money, I would apply. Completely serious. I really loved her character.

Yeah, I loved that show and her character. I hope they make more.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Hence, why the anime industry has churned out many "otaku pandering" shows.

Regrettably, at the expense of everyone else. That being said, it's still kind of a jackpot for these companies. Very few shows can really reach that status. But I guess these fans can bring them enough money to make up for the failures of some other shows.

I don't really see this phenomenon in any other country, at least to this extent. I mean, you have high-end things for collectors, like that $250 Calvin and Hobbes book some time ago, but people buy those things because they want the collectible items, not in hopes that whoever produces these items will like them more. And Veblen goods, like luxury cars or country club memberships, are intentionally expensive because the consumer wants to show off to other people, not the creators.
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
The Mumei figure looks nice & well made. She is my favorite character in Kabaneri. I hope we get another season. It is a pretty good looking series with a silly plot. Keep the pretty, lose the silly, & I will be happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2