• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Geneon Titles that will disappear forever!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinkusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad i went to best buy and got the third volume of Black Lagoon yesterday. I hope the secound season comes out by someone soon.
ImperialOverlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
I quite surprised that Geoneon would merge with ADV, as you said Tony k, there's most likely a name change coming too. Thats why I watch some of my Anime online. Fortunetly, there has to be some Geneon left in the market, because I hope there are still some left, like Ergo Proxy, and Hellsing Ultimate. If not, I'm going to be a very disturbed consumer.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
ImperialOverlord wrote:
I quite surprised that Geoneon would merge with ADV, as you said Tony k, there's most likely a name change coming too. Thats why I watch some of my Anime online. Fortunetly, there has to be some Geneon left in the market, because I hope there are still some left, like Ergo Proxy, and Hellsing Ultimate. If not, I'm going to be a very disturbed consumer.

Just checking since it sounds like you don't know this (which would surprise me all things considered) but you do know that the deal with ADV feel thorugh right Imperial? So no name change coming. Well, none that they've said as of now anyway.

Fate/Stay Night vol 6 is on the way for me. Blastid thing shipped early on Saturday but due to Columbus Day and the weekend I won't get it til Tuesday or more then likely Wednesday. Just gotta pick up BL vol 3 at the store and I'll be good to go with Geneon titles. Of course my gf still is complaining about no more Rozen maiden but I got my Revy and Saber so that makes it ok. Very Happy I'm gonna pay for that comment I'm sure.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
Not to mention there was no merger, ever. That was just fantasy created by forum users. People keep throwing around that word and I don't think they know what it means, at least in a business sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ImperialOverlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Well I heard about A merger between ADV and Geneon because I know a guy that works at Geneon, but you're right Psycho in saying that the merger fell thru(I did some research and found truth to your statement). Unfortunely Geneon is kind of screwed, due to all of this merger nonsense. Hopefully, they bounce back, because frankly there's only five big companys that I know of that market and sell Anime in the USA.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
John Ledford has said many times that ADV would not merge or be absorbed into another company. Reasons he cited include enjoying the independence of his private company, and having full creative control over how he wishes to run it. If Geneon(and by proxy the mega-giant Dentsu) walked into discussions and mentioned the word merger, it is probably the reason ADV so abrubtly walked out. Remember, the expected reason ADV went into the deal was for distribution and marketing, not a merge. A true merge would make ADV a mere puppet to Dentsu. Dentsu, I don't think ever intended to leave the R1 market which they would have to do if they sold all rights over to ADV. Converse to that ADV would not be able to absorb Geneon, because it is flat out owned by a company that has a higher income than most small countries entire GDP. Hence why the only deal that was under any real consideration was a genuine partnership, which by definition is different from a merge. A merge is making two parts one, which means that there would only be one income statement, which would lead nothing for Dentsu unless it was in fact the one absorbing ADV, or if it flat out sold it to them(which is also different from a merge).

Using the word merger is a convenient and easy (and lazy) one word statement that everyone thinks people will know what it means. Unfourtunatly it doesn't describe the situation that took place very well at all. A better statement would be strategic alliance, partnership, or just the marketing/distribution deal. And it was the only deal that was seriously considered by both parties. If Geneon did go into negotiations thinking that it would be the first step into such a takeover, I am sure that that is the moment ADV walked out.

But whatever, I am not going to complain anymore for people taking the easy way out in their diction. Rolling Eyes And no this is not an attack in anyway to psycho. In fact it's not really an attack on anyone. Just about everyone's been doing this.

-------------------------------------------------

Anyway I was thinking of some more titles that won't be picked up. I think Doki Doki School Hours won't be. It is ranked in the 700's as far as being viewed, but I never got the feeling that it really was all that much seen, at least the R1 versions, so I think it is worth mentioning. Often considered the poor mans Azumanga Daioh, and second rate at that. Nevertheless for people who enjoy that sort of humor it is a title which has gravitas among fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
indrik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
On the other hand, the company I work for just bought a company twice its size, and became the second largest company in our industry. I believe it was #4 buying #2, but #1 got wind of it and bought #5 to stay biggest. If Dentsu is willing to take a billion-odd yen hit (or whatever, I'm too lazy to check) on closing production, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the selling price for Geneon USA (JUST the US licensing and distribution end) were in the neighborhood of what ADV might have been willing and able to pay, especially considering that ADV is (I believe) a bigger operation than Geneon USA... was. I figure ADV could have been going into the deal thinking either "sales and distribution" or "outright sale of Geneon USA", and (as you also speculate) backed out when "merger talk" came up. Although I'm not personally convinced about who it was that actually backed out; somebody else might know something I don't.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay guys, this thread's about Geneon's actual anime properties, not about the business deal, so keep it on-topic.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I'm stating the obvious here or not but a lot of the more popular Geneon titles are (and, I presume, will remain) available through various different anime companies in the UK since Geneon doesn't have a foothold on this side of the Atlantic.
The UK releases are generally exactly the same in terms of English subs / dubs, extras and episode counts but the covers will probably vary slightly and you'll need a region-free DVD player (UK DVDs are R2).

Anyway, I just skimmed through the list of Geneon licenses in the encylopeadia and the following list are titles definately available in the UK (there may well be others - these are just the ones that sprang to mind) .

From ADV UK:
Aquarian Age / Azumanga Daioh / Excel Saga / Gad Guard / Hellsing / Last Exile / Madlax / Mahoromatic AM / Noir / Puni Puni Poemy

From Manga Corps UK:
Akira / Blood / Heat Guy J

From MVM:
Ah! My Goddess / Chobits / Gungrave / Haibane Renmei / Ikki Tousen / Love Hina / Paranoia Agent / R.O.D. TV / Samurai Champloo / SE Lain / Texhnolyze / Trigun

From Optimum Releasing:
Appleseed / Barefoot Gen 1&2

Hope that's of some use. They're all easy enough to get hold of via Amazon.co.uk or similar sites and if you shop around you should find most of them aren't too pricey (for example, I just ordered the complete Heat Guy J boxset from Play.com for £7.99 which is about $16) and UK-US shipping rates aren't usually too steep either.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I picked up a copy of each disc of Haibane Renmei. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I had passed that show up forever.

Now to get Paranoia Agent, Lain, and Texhnolyze.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I completely missed the obvious which is funny since I order a good number of DVDs from amazon.co.uk. Puni is an ADV title and Love Hina was a Bandai, now Funi title. Ironically these are the only two titles on your list that I'm missing. I own a few Optimum releases that are actually mastered off film to the superior PAL format which has 576 lines of resolution instead of NTSC's 480. I need to pre-order Brave Story and Earthsea from them soon.

Amazon UK was annoying since for the longest time they didn't have anime as a sub genre and you had to poke through their science fiction and television shows listings. As of the last several months they have added an anime genre which makes it easy to look up anime titles.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm stating the obvious here or not but a lot of the more popular Geneon titles are (and, I presume, will remain) available through various different anime companies in the UK since Geneon doesn't have a foothold on this side of the Atlantic.
The UK releases are generally exactly the same in terms of English subs / dubs, extras and episode counts but the covers will probably vary slightly and you'll need a region-free DVD player (UK DVDs are R2).

Anyway, I just skimmed through the list of Geneon licenses in the encylopeadia and the following list are titles definately available in the UK (there may well be others - these are just the ones that sprang to mind) .

From ADV UK:
Aquarian Age / Azumanga Daioh / Excel Saga / Gad Guard / Hellsing / Last Exile / Madlax / Mahoromatic AM / Noir/Puni Puni Poemy

These anime are all liscensed by ADV in the US here as well, Geneon just has the Soundtracks

From Manga Corps UK:
Akira / Blood / Heat Guy J

This appears to be a Co-liscense with Geneon and Manga Entertainment here in the US. I'm not quite sure.

From MVM:
Ah! My Goddess / Chobits / Gungrave / Haibane Renmei / Ikki Tousen / Love Hina / Paranoia Agent / R.O.D. TV / Samurai Champloo / SE Lain / Texhnolyze / Trigun

AMG is released by Anime Works(first 26 episode TV series) here in the US Geneon does own the rights to the film and the TV series soundtrack though. Love Hina is released by Bandai here as Randal stated it's just the OSTs again

From Optimum Releasing:
Appleseed / Barefoot Gen 1&2

Hope that's of some use. They're all easy enough to get hold of via Amazon.co.uk or similar sites and if you shop around you should find most of them aren't too pricey (for example, I just ordered the complete Heat Guy J boxset from Play.com for £7.99 which is about $16) and UK-US shipping rates aren't usually too steep either.

A lot of those titles you listed are not neccessarily owned by Geneon. It's their soundtracks that Geneon has released. The ones I bolded fall into this catagory.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
A lot of those titles you listed are not neccessarily owned by Geneon. It's their soundtracks that Geneon has released. The ones I bolded fall into this catagory.

Apologies for that - I just skimmed the list of licenses and didn't look into them too closely.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Amazon UK was annoying since for the longest time they didn't have anime as a sub genre and you had to poke through their science fiction and television shows listings.

I generally find it easier to search by specific title on Amazon. Unfortunately, the other online retailers I use which are better laid out (hmv.co.uk and play.com) won't sell to the USA. And neither will advfilms.co.uk which is a shame given their policy of having ridiculously cut-price sales (e.g. Dai Guard is £2 per volume and Gad Guard is £1 per volume at the moment - last month it was Cromartie, Abenobashi and Aquarian Age).
You could also try anime-on-line.com (MVM's online shop) - they have a very big range but they're almost always pricier than Amazon.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quote
While putting my anime on new shelves last night, and realizing I have a lot of Geneon stuff, I came across another title that probably will disappear from the R1 market: Cat Soup. Now granted, it's a little shocking that it was even licensed in the first place, but still, it's sad when you realize something is likely not going to be picked up again. Unless there's just a sudden mega-anime-boom again and companies can license anything and still make a profit.

That reminds me, I should probably get around to actually watching Cat Soup one of these days...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
While putting my anime on new shelves last night, and realizing I have a lot of Geneon stuff, I came across another title that probably will disappear from the R1 market: Cat Soup. Now granted, it's a little shocking that it was even licensed in the first place, but still, it's sad when you realize something is likely not going to be picked up again. Unless there's just a sudden mega-anime-boom again and companies can license anything and still make a profit.

That reminds me, I should probably get around to actually watching Cat Soup one of these days...
That's Central Park Media, not Geneon. CPM isn't exactly the hottest company around right now, but they've managed to exist in a low-output state for a couple of years now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9