• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime to Stream [email protected] Live-Action South Korean Show Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bin1127

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
Isn't there already a real show depicting the life of Korean idols? It's pretty much a promotional thing to just tag on Idolmaster when it's just what they've done before.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
^I got the impression that this show is a fictional drama, not a reality show, so it won't be the same thing.

The international angle sounds like it could be the most interesting angle in the show, as long as they develop it, with natural culture clashes, language difficulties and rivalry. If the Japanese and Thai girls all speak and sing Korean perfectly and everyone gets along as if they were all born in the same city, what would be the point of including them? But a fear of offending international audiences with realistic depictions of bullying and infighting based on language, culture and nationality could lead to an exceedingly bland show.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I had this whole post typed up about Amazon Prime and the kind of shows it streamed being rather suspect in their international appeal but then I actually went and checked it's catalog and it turns out it actually is a fairly diverse one that isn't just all stuff like this or Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, it's just that a lot of the stuff never gets advertised or even covered on sites like ANN that it's even on there.

Now I'm honestly starting to wonder if it's less an issue of choice and more that people nowadays just actively seek out the same old things or dare I say crap and the industry is just responding in kind with what it chooses to emphasize and promote more of to stay afloat. It's an idea that I've honestly never really entertained though I have considered (I mean crap how many times have people tried breaking from the stale moe waifu formula for shows with decent enough advertising only to have said show thoroughly and utter flop or get absolutely no attention or heavily criticized for actually trying to have a story that albeit isn't perfect. Honestly better to not have one at all because it's not like people criticize shows for having too much excessive fanservice and camp so much as seem to champion them) and I'm kind of even considering trying to look at things through that viewpoint instead of just assuming the industry is actively and deliberately promoting stuff I find bland to see if there really is merit to it.

TL;DR: Maybe the industry isn't the problem so much as it's fans that actually give feedback on the internet just got well...dumb and one dimensional in tastes and it's just responding in kind.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Huh? I had a hard time understanding your post, but you seem to think Amazon is only focusing on mainstream stuff, even though they made a deal to stream Noitamina block shows exclusively. More Noitamina shows are "mainstream" than they used to be-if you define "mainstream" as trying to target niche otaku audiences, which is kind of the opposite of true, internationally mainstream anime--shonen manga adaptations--but okay, I'll agree, shows like Punchline and certainly Kabaneri seem very "mainstream" in that sense. But Noitamina started its run with prestigious and experimental titles that were notable for not being targeted at "average" male otaku--shows based on josei manga or novels (not of the "light" variety), for example. And their next show, Fune wo Amu/The Great Passage is just that type of show--based on a novel about dictionary editing and aimed at adults. Not "otaku-bait." Doubt it'll have a panty shot or singing idol in sight. So I think Amazon actually took an interesting risk with their first exclusive anime streaming deal. They're not focusing on kiddie shows, shonen manga adaptations, video game adaptations or fanservice fests, but a block known for its mature, understated material. Netflix has a bigger variety in general, but they've also got plenty of shonen manga stuff--Magi, The Seven Deadly Sins. So they're actually more mainstream than Amazon's picks.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
bin1127 wrote:
Isn't there already a real show depicting the life of Korean idols? It's pretty much a promotional thing to just tag on Idolmaster when it's just what they've done before.

That was kind of my feeling, as well. Not to be one of those "2D" people, but I think this show doesn't really capture the essence of Idolm@ster. Watching the "Dream" PV, it feels like something was lost in the transition to live action, though it's hard to articulate exactly what. Just not really feeling any spark of connection with these characters/actresses the way I did when I first encountered promo vids for the Xbox 360 Idolm@ster release.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
Doesn't Korea have their own animation studios like Studio Mir? Why not have those do their own animation of Idolm@ster to show off their prowess?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1