• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akame ga Kill! Manga Ends in 15th Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
It was a fun ride, wasn't the biggest fan of the last arc of the manga (it's practically a special edition of the anime's climax) but I liked the characters and like Game of throwns it did a good job at tarring your heat strings when one of them dies
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I liked the anime well enough until it made Esdeath into an idiot by cutting her predicting where Night Raid would try to attack from and then completely cutting the Wild Hunt arc, thus gutting Wave's character arc.

The manga's better on that front and on some of the details that the anime had to skip because it was pressed for time. That said, spoiler[giant robots are still stupid, and lol at Leone being unceremoniously disposed of with an anti-teigu teigu.]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Will there be anyone left standing?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
To me, Akame ga Kill is pretty much exactly what would happen if you went up to a 12-year-old boy going through his edgy phase, said to him "Okay, think of the coolest things ever!", and then turned his answers into a series. I honestly can't think of another show I've seen with writing that bad. Not an episode went by where I wasn't physically cringing at something that happened. To call the characters one-dimensional would be an insult to lines (math jokes!), and it had hands-down the worst balance of attempted pathos and comedy I've ever seen: there were multiple occasions where a prominent character would be killed off, and then characters would be engaging in mindless anime-trope humor pretty much seconds later. I feel pretty comfortable in assuming that these weren't just problems stemming from any narrative changes the anime made, since they were present from the very first episode.

Seriously, normally when I finish a bad show I just laugh wryly and move on with my life, but Akame is one of those very rare cases where I'm legitimately angry that it was made. Like, there was actually time and money and talent spent on this show, and yet this was the result. Blech.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
While I understand--and can even appreciate a little--the idea that not every story has a happy ending, the Akame ga Kill! anime had such a sucky ending that I didn't want to keep my copy of the series in my library after viewing the final episode (I wound up giving it away). I had no desire to rewatch the series again. Ever.

But I guess if a work can produce a strong reaction--either positive or negative--then it's served its purpose (especially after they got your money).
iliumwicked

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Good riddance. I have seen the anime and read the manga until chapter 73. Another writer's stupid wild fantasies trying to play with readers' emotional attachment to his work. It is too bad that I am immune enough and I didn't spend anything.

First of all, worst character is Najenda and second worst is Akame. I am thinking that why the writer has trying too hard to make us like Akame. She is a paper thin character and she has no conflicts other than 'I am an awesome assassin and I kill because my sword is awesome!' . Even Wave or Mine are better character structures; they judge their own values and they can be able to decide on their own commitments.

This manga work is simply pitiful.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
Akame did have that diabolically evil sister, spoiler[that she had to kill].

I would think that could be considered a bit of conflict.
GC-Wave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Why are you guys talking about the crappy show?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
GC-Wave wrote:

The bigger question is why you are reading a forum of a crappy show you didn't like, and even more, commenting in that forum.

Perhaps the show has had an impact on you, more than you are willing to admit.
GC-Wave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
GC-Wave wrote:

The bigger question is why you are reading a forum of a crappy show you didn't like, and even more, commenting in that forum.

Perhaps the show has had an impact on you, more than you are willing to admit.

Title says Manga so you're wrong.

The show got me to read the source material which I enjoy tons more even with the "similarities"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3