• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Aug 12-18

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vongola Prim0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I heard many good things about 91 Days and was keeping it as a show to marathon once it's finished. Someone explain what happened? It got praised so much, and the opening is beast as hell. Was there an unpopular development? A favorite character killed? A jealous troll down rating it? How could it (almost) rate on the very bottom?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Are you confusing 91 Days with DAYS? The former is still 5th in the cumulatives, though it's dropped to middle of the pack for the weekly. I'm still giving it pretty high marks, but some people have felt like it's not quite living up to the first episode.

DAYS was never that strong, but it's had some serious mood swings in the weeklys. Smile
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Vongola Prim0 wrote:
I heard many good things about 91 Days and was keeping it as a show to marathon once it's finished. Someone explain what happened? It got praised so much, and the opening is beast as hell. Was there an unpopular development? A favorite character killed? A jealous troll down rating it? How could it (almost) rate on the very bottom?

Yeah, it's still in the top 5 in a season full of high ratings, so it's not like it's taken a nosedive or anything. The reason newer episodes are rated lower than older ones, however, is largely twofold. The biggest problem is the production values, which are shaky. Lots of off-model animation and some awkward artwork or brown-on-brown color choices in the worst spots. Second biggest problem most people seem to have is Fango, who's become a central character in the story and has a more batshit cartoony persona than some would prefer. It's like if The Godfather or Goodfellas had bits and pieces from a Coen Brothers movie thrown in, so it can get a little dumb and goofy in bits and bobs.
Metamarphosis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
So Alderamin score will keep decreasing? or will increase later?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I thought I knew how this system works, but it looks like when One Piece doesn't have an episode airing in a week, the ratings go up (sometimes a lot, see July22-28) while the cumulative rating hits rock bottom. And Taboo Tattoo, which has settled into last place the last four weeks (deserved!) in the weekly ratings sits above Berserk and One Piece in cumulative rating in the same period. Maybe the higher ratings in weeks 1-3 made up for the last four?

Don't forget Mob Psycho 100 taking a nosedive with this one while its overall ranking goes up. (If anyone here has played Super Mario Maker, it feels as difficult to figure out as how that game classifies difficulty.)

The next episode of One Piece did a lot better in user reviews though, so expect it to not be struggling at the bottom the next time.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
And yet look at the radical shifts in the cumulative for Battery and Art Club. While no series changes more than 3 places a week, those two kind of stand out.

Look at Food Wars. That show's rankings seem made of steep peaks and valleys. (Oh wait, you mean cumulative. Nevermind.)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
Mob Psycho's cumulative stayed the same from last week, not up. I expect both to go down next week as this week's is less well rated (but still 4.2, up from when I last checked).
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
TL: If only people knew how terribly "maladaptive" Re: Zero was, it would be down at 12th with Mob.

Tappei Nagatsuki himself is a part of the Re:Zero anime team, its why Light novels and the Web Novel for the series have slown to a crawl in terms of release.

And no, its not maladaptive. It's similar to how some of the differences in Attack on titan are compared to the manga in the how the creator prefers the anime of the portion of his own work.

Nagatsuki must feel the same, as he has stated that Arc 3 was a transition period for the web novel at first before the tone of the series was finally set by the end of it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Asura, Gina was being sarcastic. She was referring to someone who is well-known for complaining (unreasonably) about adaptations across numerous series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
My bad. The TL was short for translation, as I was translating for zrnzle500, who said he didn't understand what Dayblack's second sentence meant. Translation is always subject to error, but I believe I got the original sentiment essentially correct, even if I disagree with it. Smile
msvitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
Metamarphosis wrote:
So Alderamin score will keep decreasing? or will increase later?

Will Probably rise up this coming episode
Humble1ne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Of course Re:zero is at number 1 lol might be best anime of the year. GREAT JOB by TSE the show was moving pretty slow at first but now it's getting great. Definitely disappointed in Beserk and Alderman.... and Taboo Tattoo had the potential to be a great anime but it doesn't seem like they are interested in that lol.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I can see why for Berserk, even if the current part is good at least, but what specifically is disappointing about Alderamin. Certainly the the last one in this ranking was weaker, but hardly a disappointment. It still got a 4 and is in line with the second and third episodes' ranks. If that is disappointing perhaps the issue is with your expectations and not the show itself

As to Taboo Tattoo, what makes you say it could be great? The only thing it had was some interesting camerawork. Its writing was always weak, and it seems that goes all the way to the source and not just the anime. With such weak material to work with, the show could only aspire to be good not great, and I don't really see where the anime staff could have changed that without major changes that probably would not have been approved by the mangaka.
Vongola Prim0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Are you confusing 91 Days with DAYS?

LMAO, so that's it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2