• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. Five more weeks, guys....
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry they still have to adapt those novels in the winter. It would be nice to be done with the main plot soon though.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Dear god, what have they done to this show's animation? I really want to believe this wasn't the conclusion to the show's final battle; what an atrocious let-down that was. Just a never-ending sequence of terribly paced flashbacks and clumsily drawn mid-fight still shots.
LightningShadow55

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
I think ever since Sasuke entered the war he has been very disappointing Naruto has showed him up every step of the way. I think Kishimoto took a lot heat during the kage summit ark that he was focusing to much on Sasuke and decided to not give Sasuke some of the power ups he had planned for Sasuke. Sasuke would have been better with snake sage mode and lightning release armor then the rinnegan all those jutsu's aren't going to do you any good if you don't have any speed and power to back it up. To this day I still think the whole point of the kage summit was to give Sasuke lightning release armor. The fight with Naruto coming up is so stupid since Kishimoto had to make sure Sasuke never took a direct punch or kick from Naruto in sage mode or Kurama mode or sage mode + kurama mode with out hiding behind his susanoo or he'd be dead in one hit.
Adv193

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Actually the episode spoiler["The Final Valley", is coming out in two weeks. This will focus on the battle between Naruto vs. Sasuke.

I regularly check out the list of titles that were announced through the episode listing on Wikipedia. I still think they are trying to at least shoot for 480 episodes and this one will be 475.

The Kaguya situation will end next week.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hell, just look at Kaguya, the most powerful character in the series. Who's running her show? Black Zetsu! Her whole story has been about her male relatives and even though he's technically her Will, his voice is still masculine! oO

See what I mean? BZ is chopped off and without him she's freakin' helpless. smh
LightningShadow55

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
They'll get 500 easy they'll probably get 700 with all the fillers they can make with the way the manga ended they can make episodes all the through the 2 year time skip from the end of the manga to The Last time and the 12 years after that all the way up to the new generation. I don't now if some of you guys remember how part 1 ended there like over 60 episodes of filler until Naruto left to train with Jiraiya get ready for that times 10.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Yeah, I agree that this is ridiculous. Naruto's mangaka doesn't seem to see female characters as much more than fodder (whether for shallow romances, sources of validation, victims to be saved, plot devices, or what-have-you), and Kaguya's stunning lack of agency despite being the world's central evil is a great example of that.

Anyway, I guess I can just hope they remember to hire some animators for the fight some folks spoiled above. Maybe that can partially salvage the end of this series.
LightningShadow55

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Yeah, I agree that this is ridiculous. Naruto's mangaka doesn't seem to see female characters as much more than fodder (whether for shallow romances, sources of validation, victims to be saved, plot devices, or what-have-you), and Kaguya's stunning lack of agency despite being the world's central evil is a great example of that.

Anyway, I guess I can just hope they remember to hire some animators for the fight some folks spoiled above. Maybe that can partially salvage the end of this series.

Well to be fair Black Zetsu is a ninja technically and has been around a long time and has more battle experience then Kaguya same goes Naruto,Sasuke,Sakura and Kakashi there ninjutsu is more refined then in Kaguya's time. Kaguya doesn't really no how to fight she's just powerful. That's why I still say Madara would have beaten Kaguya in a one one fight sure she has 4 times more chakra then him but he's way more skilled then her. As for the female thing I think this manga does pretty good at showing woman ninja its made for boys after all manga where girls are the hero usually portray men much worse they wouldn't even have help out as much as Sakura did in short Naruto is about promoting boy power.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, technically he's Kaguya's will, which raises the question why is he male??

And I don't doubt you that there are anime with female heroes where the men sit in a corner and whine most of the time (or when not whining, moon after the heroine), or get sidelined at desk jobs, but if you could give me an example I'd appreciate it, since I'm coming up blank. Smile
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
There're probably anime like that, although I'd guess they're rarer given anime's typical target audiences. I don't think any anime like that're defensible for it either, though; a story always feels more superficial when it arbitrarily determines the complexity and worth of its characters based on irrelevant details, and when those choices are made along sexist lines (or in lockstep with any common form of discrimination) it also just feels a bit ugly.

I don't disagree that we could piece together in-world explanations for much of it if we wanted to - as LightningShadow55 said, Black Zetsu is a practiced ninja and Kaguya's not, so maybe it makes in-world sense for him to be an important part of her fighting ability - but I don't think that redeems the decision to set the story up this way in the first place. This kind of in-world explanation salvages the world's coherence and internal consistency, but it doesn't help the story's verisimilitude and it doesn't its thematic ugliness, which is a "meta-textual" criticism, not an in-world criticism.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
According to the Aug. 7 Saiyan Island article called "Naruto Shippuden August 2016 Schedule – The End is Near", September 8th would be the last episode. I will believe it when I see it on a Crunchyroll or ANN article that is sourced from the officials (namely, Pierrot or WSJ). I honestly wouldn't mind some fillers until episode 700 (Shippuden 480) for the final episode.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
Forgive my pessimism, but I'm not holding my breath for our inevitable return to filler land. But that aside, the anime's approaching ending is bringing back the sad feelings I had when the manga ended. It's always bittersweet when a long running series meets its end; even more so if said series is a favorite of yours. But it was a long ride and I loved every bit of it Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
According to the Aug. 7 Saiyan Island article called "Naruto Shippuden August 2016 Schedule – The End is Near", September 8th would be the last episode.

Heh, wrapping up the Kagura fight and the Naruto/Sasuke face-off everyone knows is coming and the entire series, in only two episodes after all the endless filler and padding we've endured, is exactly the sort of stunt I'd expect them to pull. Smile

But what would they do with the timeslot until the fall season starts? Reruns? Obito Kai?
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
According to the Aug. 7 Saiyan Island article called "Naruto Shippuden August 2016 Schedule – The End is Near", September 8th would be the last episode.

Heh, wrapping up the Kagura fight and the Naruto/Sasuke face-off everyone knows is coming and the entire series, in only two episodes after all the endless filler and padding we've endured, is exactly the sort of stunt I'd expect them to pull. Smile

But what would they do with the timeslot until the fall season starts? Reruns? Obito Kai?

Knowing Studio Pierrot, this is a very high probability lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 44