• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amanchu! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Good episode, really like how they adapted the character chemistry.

Lol a poolside lecture test

I'm glad to see Teko doing better with her mask clearing and using the regulator. Not a diver myself but looks like those skills are essential to diving. I love how Pikari got embarrassed when Teko helped her with everything.

Sensei is awesome as usual!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:46 am Reply with quote
It was quite the surprise that apparently she did not spoiler[actually not know how to swim].

She keeps seeing herself as dead weight, which I think can see as likely train of thought, although looking on it seems more about them thinking what they can do for her, and perhaps they think that they might have put too much pressure on her for what she is able to do.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

That was good, I like how they adapted one of the chapters they've skipped with the rain and Pikari really did a nice job at showing sensei that hydrangea scene. Just beautiful!

Meanwhile, I thought the episode was also fun for the game (Green, Yellow, Red Light) they played in the second segment. Very funny.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
The character chemistry in this series is so charming to watch - both the Ninomiya twins and Teko/Pikari.
Zork

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

That was a really sweet thing the rest of the Swim Club did for Teko. I love the interaction between the characters in this series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Lol I find it funny at how excited Ai got at that shop with the swimsuits.

I think this episode had slightly more service than the others. I like the swimsuits the girls picked. Teko's outfits looked adorable too. They also took some nice pictures so those will be precious memories.

As usual, I like the chemistry between Teko and Pikari.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Not going to lie, this has to be one of the smallest kittens I've ever seen in anime

Pretty cute episode overall.
I think it was important for Teko to recognize the concept of responsibility.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

That was a nice way to end the series. A diving to the blue world, aka the ocean just as Pikari and Teko had prepared.

I love how Teko is much more confident now than before after experiencing so many new things in life with her new friends and making valuable memories. They did a good job at crafting the music when they were underwater as well. Fairly good show and faithful to the manga even though they rearranged some chapters to construct the overall story.

Will be watching the OVA next year for sure. Rating the show as very good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I liked this show, but I'm not terribly sad it's over. It was just a little too calm for my tastes. I almost feel mean saying something even slightly negative against such an inoffensive offering, but there you have it. I kind of wish that open sea diving had been a bigger element of the show (as I originally assumed it would be). I know that the real point of the show was to watch a painfully shy girl come out of her shell, but heck, you can do that and still show more underwater stuff. And where were the pirates? There ought to be pirates. Well, maybe next year.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

It is a cute show and all, but I think the two halves, one half about a girl coming out of her shell and the other half about diving, did not quite gel together as one big exciting narrative. That sounds a bit odd since it was kind of integral to her growing to dive, and that the diving was all about her getting good enough to do so, but I just feel that it was split too much between parts where it was adorkable (weird character design scenes) and parts where it tried to be impactful. It is probably more of a feel rather than think sort of thing, so I can't really describe it.

It was not all bust, I enjoyed learning about diving, I could relate to Futaba shyness and anxiety, I liked the adorkable designs, and I was drawn in by the broader character moments. Tone was light and easy, but I don't think it made for the most impelling watch. I would also say that the kitten thing came in a bit too late after it being a part of the ED for so long, even if it was a key part for character growth, I did however appreciate the season finishing off with her first dive as a cornerstone.

I give a rating of Decent (6/10), which kind of makes me feel bad like Blood- said about from saying something negative about this, but I think calling it decent is fitting label.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 (Amanchu! Advance), Episode 12 (finale)

Goes to show that this second season was not getting a lot of attention. I already posted elsewhere about this, but there was one big problem with this season, even in the way it might feel like there is nothing new. The show had always been pretty grounded, but this season brought in a bunch of supernatural elements. It started out harmless with Teko being able to lucid dream, before the lucid dreams being able to be shared, and then there was the multi episode Peter Pan arc that had ghosts, magical world, more lucid dreaming for magic stuff, and time travel. These things might not be a problem in their own, but it just brought too much of a distracting departure from the series tone, that suddenly Tekko is something called a professional dreamer, and the whole diving thing is practically on the backburner to use established characters in things the author wanted to tell a story of.

I say that while also saying that it felt like there was not a hell lot to add to this season, the best probably being the new younger characters, like Kokoro. The truth about Kokoro being late in the season was not bad. And I would say that I was pretty fond of the Halloween episode, which in some ways came out of nowhere, but it mostly felt in character, and had the sort of wonder that was being such an influence on Teko earlier.

A bit of this season also feels like a bit of a blur, like there was not a lot there to remember. I give season two a rating of Not really good (4/10), by the simple fact that so many parts felt like they did not match this series, even if I would sat that some parts of the show were actually pretty good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2