• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk (TV 2016/17).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So why could the people in the tavern see Puck? They struck me as neither unusually religious, nor excessively evil (not sure which is making him visible now).

It's because of what you mentioned, they were able to see Puck because they open-minded enough to perceive him. Those who aren't (like those who follow the Holy See religion more devoutly) psychologically block creatures like Puck out. The reason why they're beginning to notice Puck's because of the phenomena beginning to stir (Guts and Puck both comment on it).
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Serpico is also in the manga very enigmatic. He's portayed as exceptionally skilled and faster than Guts. Which is exceptional, considering the lengths the manga goes to portay Guys as the strongest human being alive.

You have to wonder that maybe Serpico simply isn't human, would make a whole deal of sense.
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the worst episodes imo.

It kind of proves that this anime simply isn't as good when it tries to focus on character development and the pacing slows down. The set piece moments weren't that great compared to others in the series either. Guts vs Goat was great tho.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Nice to see the Skull Knight return this week. His entrance is a certain kind of awesome.

Guts definitely looked pissed this episode.Respect for Luca, I'm starting to like her a lot more in this adaptation than I had expected. Regarding the CGI, I really wish they didn't have that when Guts went badass at the end. Oh well..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ep 09
It is a dark sense of humor about all the events going around, the events simply become surreal with the pile up of storylines colliding into a glorious cacophony.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Guts fending off the little torturer was decent, but the rest of the fight between Guts, Mozgus and the torturers was eh, especially when he slashed at Mozgus, that looked hella janky. Otherwise, good episode. Mozgus's voice actor was great, much more hammy like he should be. And you've gotta give it to him, he just tells the spirits to bring it. Mozgus ain't afraid of no ghosts.

There's a difference between how Nina and Luca try and survive and you can see that when Luca lets go of Nina's hand and plunges into death, with the expectation that she might survive, whereas Nina is overcome by fear (understandably).
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Pretty all around intense episode. The more Guts gets involved into the darker side of the horrific events of story, it feels like the more he is suffering. Ah more Casca...she's also suffering too Anime cry

Skull Knight and Luca had some decent chemistry imo.

I think one of the truest statements about the episode is about how the world is ugly especially in Berserk. Mozgus' speech is also quite something...considering the way he speaks to his people with those angelic wings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll keep it short: I'm really glad I read the manga, otherwise I'd have understood barely anything about what the Behelit Apostle was talking about (and it was already fairly complicated in the manga anyway).The anime's changing and abridging of his talk with Luca was pretty weak IMO. And despite all they've done, there's a degree of tragedy in the torturers' deaths, especially the plague masked one.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Quote:
We will cut through to our survival huh?

Decent action this episode. Mogzus' monster design (nope, he's far from an angel now) looked weird but definitely not for show considering how much trouble he proved to defeat.

What did bother me about the episode though is the teasing of the God's Hand and Zodd cameo appearance. From what I understand, this is a 1-cour show now so there's no way they can wrap this up unless it gets more episodes.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
What did bother me about the episode though is the teasing of the God's Hand and Zodd cameo appearance. From what I understand, this is a 1-cour show now so there's no way they can wrap this up unless it gets more episodes.

This also happened in the manga, and it's to show events are paralleling the previous Eclipse in the Golden Age. Just like before, Zodd shows up to get in Skull Knight's way, and the God Hand show up on the hand, but it's merely an imitation so they don't fully appear. There're a number of other parallels as well.

As expected, Mozgus vs Guts is the best fight in this adaptation, no contest. Visuals were alright for this show, except a number of visual goofs and when the malice was devouring the refugees. There's a moment where you can see the souls moving into the eye and forming/enlarging the pupil, but in the anime, it's a still frame of a blobby mess that's trying to represent that. It's really ugly.

Anyway, I've always liked the moment when the Behelit Apostle wonders whether his life would be any different if he'd met Mozgus and laments that he was not able to do so. It's pretty sad. Speaking of Mozgus, he's incredibly misguided at best, and only partially right. It's true that Casca's brand kicked off the malice. But if Casca was the spark, it was Mozgus, his torturers and the heretics that provided the dynamite, because the malice's partly comprised of the tortured and suffering souls who died at their hands. Casca was a convenient scapegoat which pitted Guts against the refugees who saw Mozgus as their saviour. Could they have survived if they followed Guts instead?

You've gotta feel sorry for Azan, he and his men tried to save the refugees, but they abandoned and locked them out. And his words indicate this has happened to him before, yet still he performs his duty.
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
Again, slower pacing. We've been stuck in this fight for awhile now and although purists probably like how it's following the manga, I'm starting to lose my patience a little and want it to simply get on with it right now. The series was much better when it focused on short bursts of violence instead of longer fights.
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
Again, slower pacing. We've been stuck in this fight for awhile now and although purists probably like how it's following the manga, I'm starting to lose my patience a little and want it to simply get on with it right now. The series was much better when it focused on short bursts of violence instead of longer fights.

They're already blitzing through the material and the fights weren't even that long aside from Mozgus, who is the boss of this arc, so it's pretty obvious he'd take a while to go down. In terms of action, this is the climax for this arc, so it's obvious things would take a little longer. Guts vs the torturers wrapped up in 1 episode quickly, the remainder of the torturers and Mozgus were finished off in this episode with time to spare. Overall, the fights have taken two episodes. Not exactly long. The rest of what's comprised the events and pacing so far hasn't been action. Besides, there's one more episode and this show's over anyway.

I mean, you've read the source (I think), how exactly would you want them to approach this arc?
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
So what is going on with this obsessive focus on Nina? Is this an attempt to somehow ground us "normal" viewers into the world and sympathize with her? I cannot believe how much material was cut just to give this character screen time.

Also I literally cringed in Episode 12 whenspoiler[ Griffith is revealed and they cue some half-baked rock track with mixed in electronica. This is one of the key moments in Berserk's story and they completely botched it. Guts is supposed to be filled with uncontrollable rage and the VA sounded mildly irritated in his 1 vocal display. ]

Just a couple of major examples that again beg the question: did the directing staff even read the original source material? If they did, they fail to demonstrate a deep understanding of the themes and threw up a shallow interpretation into their work.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
^
The same amount of focus was given to Nina in the manga. She's there as a viewpoint into the weak and suffering. Her arc culminating in her realisations about herself and her weaknesses give hope that the weak and suffering in Berserk can support each other, and grow stronger and kinder. It may seem small, but it's a significant step for people like her and Joachim, who aren't badarses who can swing a gigantic sword and slay monsters. Hell, it takes guts to even be people like Luca or Isidro in Berserk's world. I don't think the cut material had much to do with giving Nina focus.

I agree about the music placement, it was absolutely terrible, and the voice direction during that scene was also bad. Hirasawa's other new song "Ash Crow" is really, really good, but why play it during Nina and Joachim's reunion? There's the usual problems as well like blitzing through the material and hardly letting scenes digest, dialogue cuts, the visuals, the score, etc., but at this point, it's beating a dead horse.

Anyway, I don't think Luca's speech about God came across well in the subs. She says (paraphrasing) trying to go on living is different than trying to escape from fear, and those who tried to live until the very end without losing themselves to fear from what was going on around them are the ones who survived. She finishes by saying God thrusts fortune and misfortune on people, but people still exist within a domain which is theirs to act in. I think it's a good message that applies to a lot of things in Berserk's world, and her line of thinking is further explored in the next arc. I also like the way she lays flowers for the Behelit Apostle. At least in the end, someone remembered and cared about him.

And for anyone who was confused about the terms the Kushan were using, according to the Dark Horse manga translations, it's Sanskrit. Krishna Sena= black-garbed warrior (Krishna is a deity and a mighty warrior) and Bada= evil beast.

Last edited by Souther on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Luca is a saint and I'm more than ready for "the puffy lady" to die a horrible death (someone please tell me that happens eventually?). It's one thing to be weak and terrified, and another to be completely inconsiderate, and she lost what little sympathy I had for her when she just left Luca, et al, waiting for her. Standing people up is the unforgivable sin in the universe where I'm god. People who do that can just wait in hell forever. Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8