• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Servamp (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for the dub of Episode 6 and it was absolutely better than I imagined, LOL! spoiler[Lolli/Lawly's] voice actor fits him PERFECTLY, AHAHAHAA!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I'm enjoying this so much more now that I have all the characters sorted out. Smile Very good episode. I wonder what's up with the evil little plushy Kuro who keeps trying to goad Mashiro into being mean?

I'm liking my daddy theory more after this episode. Very Happy I'm also liking Tsubaki more and more. He's not evil, he's just misunderstood.

Too bad this didn't get picked up for review after planetarian wrapped. I think it deserves to be on more people's radar.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm liking my daddy theory more after this episode. Very Happy I'm also liking Tsubaki more and more. He's not evil, he's just misunderstood.

Yes, a misunderstood person who orchestrates random vampire attacks on random people on the street. That was what happened in the first episode, right? Was there a reason he worked up a huge attack on Greed, apparently buying out the entire concert, all getting his own people killed? Apparently he is trying to punish Pride, but I am kind of missing how this is all targeted at him.

The creepy cat plushy thing is cool though.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Too bad this didn't get picked up for review after planetarian wrapped. I think it deserves to be on more people's radar.

Agreed. The reviewers gave it a lot of shit for being very silly and dumb, but at least it's the fun type of silly and dumb coughtabootattoocough. It does have pacing issues, I think it would be a much better show with twice the episode count, but the characters are very endearing once the show gives them the chance to grow instead of shoving them all on your face. It's grown on me a lot, it's a shame it's getting blindsided
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 9

He's definitely my favourite and I can easily forgive him a bit of random killing, he's a vampire after all. Wink

But now i'my really curious about what or who that "key" might be and what it's supposed to do.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

That was an interesting backstory, if only to see a very different side of Hyde. I don't think I quite understand how killing her was supposed to bring about peace though. If it was her country that broke the alliance (which is what I understood happened?), her death wouldn't make them go, "You executed our Princess? Ah, we get it now, we wuz wrong, we're sorry." Without her, there'd no longer be even a pretense of alliance left. Likewise, if it was her husband's country that shot first, killing her would just be more fuel on the fire of betrayal.

And just how long was that meeting? :) I also had no idea the vamps had been around as long as Hyde's backstory would imply. I might have to rethink some theories... ;)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:27 am Reply with quote
Also, how big was that execution blade. Some cultures use an axe or maybe a guillotine, those guys used something that Ichigo or Pyramid Head would use.

Those are some good problems with the episode. I have a little less problems with the episode than might with other episodes or would think I would, but still I did not feel too happy in properly enjoying it. I think my problem was running along the lines that I did not care about him that much after what I assumed was that he killed his previous contracted at the beginning of the story in an accident. Kind of started off wrong foot in getting me to feel for him.

Oh, and why was he tied to a rope over what I guess was the princess's balcony? Was he being hung?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote
From what I could gather from the flashbacks within flashbacks, he'd been hanging about the castle and was discovered to be a vampire and was captured. They hung him outside in the sun to keep him hedgehoggy and powerless (not sure what they did with him at night), and little Ophelia found and rescued him from that. Presumably they formed their contract around then.

I guess after she died and Sleepy Ash betrayed him (he felt), he became so nihilistic that when his Eves became boring he saw no reason not to kill them if they couldn't stop him, since nothing and no one matters.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 10

I don't think I quite understand how killing her was supposed to bring about peace though. If it was her country that broke the alliance (which is what I understood happened?), her death wouldn't make them go, "You executed our Princess? Ah, we get it now, we wuz wrong, we're sorry." Without her, there'd no longer be even a pretense of alliance left. Likewise, if it was her husband's country that shot first, killing her would just be more fuel on the fire of betrayal.

It was her country who broke the alliance, so the marriage was probably never "for peace" in the first place, but they'd always planned to eventually invade. By sacrificing herself for her husband's country, Ophelia might have wanted to prove her loyalty, she could simply have run away, back to her country after all.

I'm still not quite sure how exactly that lead to peace, though. Did it inspire the people to fight harder and eventually win? Or was the king of the other country so shocked by the death of his daughter that he ordered a retreat? We may never know...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

That was odd. It sounded like Tsubaki didn't even know which subclass he was negotiating for.

But Kuro and Mahro sure leveled up! Sweet! Higan vs Hyde/Licht was pretty good. Very tense standoff with Lila too. For some reason I'm not too worried about Hugh.

Guess we'll find out about Sensei next week. I don't expect much closure on the story though. Hope they surprise me.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

That was odd. It sounded like Tsubaki didn't even know which subclass he was negotiating for.

This gave me pause too. His one redeeming quality is that he genuinely cares about his subclass, right? So why didn't he know? The explanation I can come up with is that, since he was kidnapped amongst the dozens that Hyde murdered, Tsubaki didn't even know which of the lackeys he'd sent had actually survive. Either that or his "caring" is just a front and he's actually the evilest evil that ever eviled, but I doubt that's the case.

Agreed that the scene with Laila at the end was really well done, it was sudden and unexpected but didn't feel forced and actually made sense with what was happening, especially because of how Laila explained himself. Never expected this show to leave me at the edge of my seat, but it really has improved by leaps and bounds since introducing the Greed pair
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
I on the other hand am not having a very good time. Perhaps because I tend to watch this show after watching Scared Rider Xechs episode, and have run out of patience of certain aspects present in Servamp. Scared Rider being something I am only finishing out of spite, looking forward to venomously tearing it apart by reviewing it.

I am not a fan the random piano thing with Greed pair where all these elements like piano concert, plays with Jekyll and Hyde, angels, demons, whale mascot, foreign name but nothing else seem foreign about him, and random story about hair turning white that makes no sense to explain the streak. And if he was all about piano where did that translate to him being a good fighter? Like if he was a self proclaimed angel, maybe he should have something that represents it outside of his backpack, he does not have a nice attitude.

There is substance in this show, but so far I feel like it comes more across as style over substance, and not in a really fun way. Like my favourite part of the show is the dance in the ED, especially with Tsubaki's crazy moves. But really the show has not given me any reasons to care about Tsubaki, earlier stories had him organise random acts of violence, and his supposed scene to show he is not all bad was really him attempting to kill some kid. That all of those subclasses died was entirely his own fault, and the fact he got them involved in something that could foreseeably get them killed makes it worse. But that also raises an annoyance over power differences where apparently Lawless can slaughter all of those subclasses like it was nothing, but then he loses out to one subclass, fire dude who annoyingly keeps talking about youth and about how he is an old man. The guy does not even look that old, and age wise we know that Lawless is much older it just annoys me. Why didn't Tsubaki send out the strong guys to fight?

Our main character seems to have done an entire 180, and I am not sure I quite understand why after what was happening with him previously. His weapon turned into a spear? I liked that it was a broom, it felt reflective of his character while now it just feels like they changed it up to make it more implicitly look like he is strong now. I kind of think it would be cooler if it was him being able to beat everyone with what looked like a broom.

I liked Lawless' hedgehog spike like attack, it felt like it was doing a running theme with him, but I actually expected it ages ago rather than pulled off here so far along.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

This gave me pause too. His one redeeming quality is that he genuinely cares about his subclass, right? So why didn't he know? The explanation I can come up with is that, since he was kidnapped amongst the dozens that Hyde murdered, Tsubaki didn't even know which of the lackeys he'd sent had actually survive.

Well, how should he have known? He wasn't there and it seemed like all of them died, so unless he has some kind of telepathic connection with each and every one of his subclasses, it makes sense...but what i was really want to know: is Hidan actually Tsubaki's subclass or a vampire who just enjoys following Tsubaki (and killing for him)? I'm a bit confused. He's pretty sexy for an ojisan, though! Wink

It doesn't seem very likely that we'll get any kind of satisfactory conclusion next week, though...i just hope the ending won't be Gangsta-level bad and maybe there's actually a chance for a 2nd season?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Even though we didn't hear it, I guess I assumed they had either told him to prove they actually had a hostage, or he would somehow know. Otherwise, they didn't even need one to negotiate with.

As for Higan, I think Lila called him a subclass when warning Mahiru about him, though the subtitles don't reflect that (in episode 6 - can't believe this arc has taken half the series. Feels like 3 episodes). Higan himself says he and Tsubaki are friends.

DuskyPredator wrote:
But that also raises an annoyance over power differences where apparently Lawless can slaughter all of those subclasses like it was nothing, but then he loses out to one subclass, fire dude who annoyingly keeps talking about youth and about how he is an old man. The guy does not even look that old, and age wise we know that Lawless is much older it just annoys me.

Higan is second only to Tsubaki (unless they meant he's the second most powerful subclass, then I guess he's in 3rd place). As for his age, he was evidently older when he became immortal, and already looked his age and started thinking of himself as old. Actual time on earth is irrelevant. Immortality could change that way of thinking, but not necessarily.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
So Tsubaki-chan just needed a hug! Wink

There was quite a lot of Tsubaki which i for one enjoyed, but overall this ending felt incredibly rushed and left me with so many questions that i can't even muster up the energy to start articulating them...it wasn't quite Gangsta-level, but not exactly satistactory either.

Well, there's always the manga, i suppose...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4