• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Second Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Sayaka OHARA did a very amusing job as Leonora Nakiri (Alice's mom) in the most recent episode. A lot of shows go for the absurd foreigner accent by slipping a lot of English words in, but that doesn't work well since the English words are pronounced in a Japanese manner. Fine for characters who have studied abroad or whatever, but poor for an actual foreign character. Ohara did a good job of exaggerating how foreigners who have actually studied some Japanese but have foreign accents pronounce Japanese poorly, one of the best cases I've seen done by a native Japanese speaker. (If done in a US media production for an Asian person, would probably be viewed as offensive, I suppose.) I've seen similar performances done by foreigners (Robert Baldwin in Doamayger-D and Assassination Classroom). Maxwell Powers playing Suzuki in Kabaneri still sounded like a foreigner speaking Japanese but his Japanese was better and sounded "more native" than Ohara, which means that her intentionally foreigner sounding Japanese was quite something.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Leonora was voiced by Sayaka Ohara?

...She really is Irisviel.
dash56

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
During this episode episode I finally realized why I haven't been enjoying this season as much as the other one. The cook offs are fun and all but the characters are what make this show. I love the cast and even better I love the way they interact.

I don't know how another season gets approved but if it does I hope we get something more focused on the characters.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
E8 Ok i really liked this one. while the 3 challengers are all attacking the process at the same time and in the same place i loved how Soma pulled in his friends and brainstormed for ideas. he admits he did not know enough and was smart enough to look for help. i really really really want to see the reaction of the judges to his fish now....
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Anyone whos read the manga already knows the end result of this but what Im curious about is that since theres only 3 eps left is spoiler[if they'll skip most of the Stagiaire arc and focus on the last part].
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Ok E 9 and now i am forced to wait a week for E 10.... .typical of Soma just when you think he is going down spoiler[ he pulls a rabbit out of the hat with his .. .oh hold on a moment you need to have the finished dish not the teaser.... damn i hate to wait.]

is it the 3rd yet i really want to see the end of this battle
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Sayaka OHARA did a very amusing job as Leonora Nakiri

and she did an even better one in this episode, now it does not feel like she wasted her. and to think she started as "little girl" in big O.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While we do miss out on most of the food prep, which is a shame

Have you even read the manga? It's exactly what happens in it, they just adapted the chapters correcty. So no, we didn't miss out most of the food prep.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Why yes, I am current through volume 13 of the manga. An adaptation does not necessarily need to follow the source material exactly, detail for detail, in order to be successful, and food preparation is part of the spirit of the original, as well as the first season of the anime. In fact, I'd argue that in this case it's more important to keep things aligned with season one than with the manga for continuity's sake.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Why yes, I am current through volume 13 of the manga. An adaptation does not necessarily need to follow the source material exactly, detail for detail, in order to be successful, and food preparation is part of the spirit of the original, as well as the first season of the anime. In fact, I'd argue that in this case it's more important to keep things aligned with season one than with the manga for continuity's sake.

I understand, but the point of these last matches is to surprise the judges and the audience (and us) with the revelation of the dishes, so there is not point in showing us the preparation.

It would have been a shame to have the preparation in the manga and the anime would skip it (they skipped a lot of things), but I'm glad with the adaptation of this second season: I don't want the tournament to get forever, it's time it finishes to, hopefully finally have the spoiler[Stagiaire arc (12 chapters that they can adapt in 3x4)].
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I understand, but the point of these last matches is to surprise the judges and the audience (and us) with the revelation of the dishes, so there is not point in showing us the preparation.

Ah, this makes more sense. I see what you're saying now - and yes, looked at in that light, there is no point to the prep work. I still would have liked to see more continuity between seasons - the manga really makes this a smoother transition - but in general I feel like this season is having some issues adapting, making things like this stand out more.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
Looks like they're gonna wrap up the arc in the first half of next ep while the second half transitions into the next arc. They'll do the first half of the arc with ep 11 and the final half in ep 12....How they'll do that is beyond me
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So where does Akira differ from the other two?

Soma's dad said it way back in season one. That the way to become a great chef is to have a person you can dedicate all your cooking to.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Well, i'm glad that this series actually deviates from the popular "MC wins by default" shounen formula and Akira's win seemed well-deserved. I also enjoyed the friendship-rivalry they all shared at the end.

The next arc sounds interesting and i'm looking forward to a break from all those cooking battles. Smile
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Haven't they already said that this season will be 13 Episodes?

How do they plan to fit the whole Stagnier arc in just three episodes? I know I keep harping on it but the pacing of this season has just been so strange.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9