• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 8:

Well I thought this was a nice little transition and buildup towards the actual match.

I really like how Souma tried to get everyone together to boost a bit of his own morale. And not just that, I think he came up with a good idea for his dish. Good for him. Also, Alice's mother showed up! What a beauty! And that accent...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
Wish they'd just get an actual random foreigner to read the lines if they're going to go full retard like that.

Also, white people don't look like that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 9:

Another intense episode. The triple threat match between Ryou, Akira, and Souma had highlights from all three guys although I think Akira's dish stood out the most so far.

Then again, we can't count out Souma yet right? Oh and I thought the moment when Alice's mother began to speak unbroken Japanese was priceless. Guess we'll have to see how the judges react to Souma's seconds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9
Banken wrote:
Wish they'd just get an actual random foreigner to read the lines if they're going to go full retard like that.

Well, now you know why they didn't cast a random foreigner. Smile

Also, I have no idea what you mean by that last sentence. She looks pretty Caucasian to me.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 9
Banken wrote:

Well, now you know why they didn't cast a random foreigner. Smile

Also, I have no idea what you mean by that last sentence. She looks pretty Caucasian to me.

The only people with pure white skin, white hair, and red eyes are albinos.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
White people can't be albino? oO And the director's red eyes don't bother you?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
What about all the Japanese characters with bright and or coloured hair, despite the more realistic array? With anime, it is not necessarily important that a character's features match up fully to the likely real world counterpart, where many anime with give different hair and eye colours colours and the like diversify the cast in a visual way, which can express their personality. If you are also adding in a character who would be more extreme, a Caucasian character in a cast with many Asian characters (although there are other Caucasian characters too like the twins), it is fine for their features to be even more of an exaggeration. I think it is fine as long as it is not trying to actively mock.

Like expected, the episode made me hungry. I will be going to the supermarket now.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
White people can't be albino? oO And the director's red eyes don't bother you?

What are the odds that an albino Caucasian woman's half-Japanese daughter is also going to be albino?

(basically zero)
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
What about all the Japanese characters with bright and or coloured hair, despite the more realistic array? With anime, it is not necessarily important that a character's features match up fully to the likely real world counterpart, where many anime with give different hair and eye colours and the like diversify the cast in a visual way, which can express their personality. If you are also adding in a character who would be more extreme, a Caucasian character in a cast with many Asian characters (although there are other Caucasian characters too like the twins), it is fine for their features to be even more of an exaggeration.

The funny thing about anime characters is that Japanese people think they look Japanese, and Caucasians think they look Caucasian. Which in my eye means that every non-black (sorry, guys) race should basically look the same as anime characters. I personally interpret different hair colors as being different shades of black and brown (the only natural hair colors that ethnic Asians have). That, or the character has died their hair, which is incredibly common in Japan (I'd say 30-40% of young people have died hair here).

But it's not even about the hair. Even though I kind of think Alice's character design is cool if you assume she doesn't actually have white hair and red eyes, it would be super weird if she actually did.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
On another note, I earlier pointed out that Nakiri's name comes from a type of knife (a greenery knife: ).

I just realized that Yukihira's name also comes from a kitchen utensil: a "yukihira nabe" (a dimpled Japanese pot: )

It's the same kind of pot he was holding in in the after-credits scene of episode nine.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

So the finals concluded. Akira came out on top as the victory but honestly, I think it was a close match and all three competitors did well.

I like how they showed some of Akira's background/past as well. Anyways, it was a good tournament overall, felt like the first few episodes were rushed but the latter ones quite well done in terms of performance and colorful expressions. Oh and I always love it when Alice's mom speaks in unbroken Japanese
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
But the final deciding factor kind of raised a problem, Hayama has something with his cooking that makes something only he can uniquely do, but the episode was also setting up that Soma's deal is that he kind of lacks that. It kind of felt along the lines that the top chefs in the school are meant to be above everyone else in an inherent trait, not be purely good through trial and error, which is what Soma is. Well the show kind of feels a bit at an impasse where either he will break the system to accept his particular style, or he has to discover what makes his cooking uniquely his, that only he can do.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Spoiler tags, motherfucker, can you use them?

spoiler[ This is how you use them.

Also, the judges' reasoning was bullshit IMO. Whether or not someone's dish could be considered their specialty is irrelevant. ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Spoiler tags, motherfucker, can you use them?

Spoiler tags for events in episodes that are already publicly available are not required by this forum. I know this from myself being someone who would spoiler tag anything plot relevant relating to the last couple episodes of a series, before being told to drop it because it made the forum hard to use for certain users, and was deemed unnecessary.

So, language.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Here are the current guidelines for spoiler tags. Since Stark700 duly noted the episode, in bold, spoiler tags are not required.

That said, I think people have gotten terribly lax about noting the episode number if they're the first to comment on that episode, so in self-defense I've taken to looking at the post date before reading. Also, if I know there's an episode out I haven't seen, I just stay out of the thread until I have, unless it's a series for which I totally don't care about spoilage. ymmv
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13