• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alderamin on the Sky (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I'm confused as to the Hahashiku's importance -- aside from them (the wind/fire ones) aiding in combat -- since we haven't had much information on them besides their 'typings' and each soldier possessing one.

Well, as you said, there's the aid they provide, but I also think there's something personally important to each human who contracts with one. Like adopting a child or something. There might even be a connection to one's soul or something, since when the soldiers died back in the jungle, that didn't just set the spirits free from their contract. Ikta had to take their soul stones to return to some shrine for proper disposition (did he ever actually do that, or is he still hanging on to them?).

So stealing and dog-pounding all those poor little spirits in the dark would definitely be reason enough for them to go to war to get them back.
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
This anime any good? I like the look of it, but at the same time it looks rather childish. Is it close to the level of 91 days or Re:zero?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I think I know what you mean about its look, but yes, I'd say it's at least as good as 91 Days, if not better. I wouldn't put it up with Re: Zero yet, but it's got some truly fine moments. Try the first couple of episodes and see what you think. Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The characters in Alderamin are pretty mundane, but at least they are likeable. I dropped 91 Days after a few episodes when I found I didn't care what happened to any of them.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Well there goes Kanna...
I liked her honestly but not really surprised that she died. I mean, there were big death flags already on her. At least we found out a little bit more about her background story.

The action was nice and made the war felt realistic especially with the violence and casualties. Ikta is a clever man with his strategies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

At the very least, I can say that this was effective despite expectations that the tragedy could be seen coming. Got me to care about Kanna, inserting a bit of an extra story for her, and then pulling the rug out at the scene of the massacre. Although one probably has to also consider the massacre Ikta orchestrated earlier in the episode, that war is messy and there is a waste of life. Oh, and I thought showing the title of the episode "Someday, For The Third Time", right after Ikta mentioned that he was hoping for a good third meeting with Kanna, was a pretty effective method of leaving an impact.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I could kinda relate to the "boys will be boys" moment. My country has conscription (though it's not really that "serious") so I've some experience about a bunch of 18-19 year old dudes being confined in a small space with no privacy. Talk of suspiciously moving blankets and odd sounds in the night were relatively common with of course someone throwing the odd bold question every now and then "Hey, X are you jerking off?" Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Damn, they are using that fiery little fairy spirit like a flamethrower.

I think the action was nice for the fighting on the battlefield this episode in particular Yatori vs Nanaqu Dal. Dinqun is awesome too of course. Got what I had expected from with the clash of ideals and action. Nanaqu Dal was tougher than I had thought but Yatori came out on top.

Poor Dinqun. I was just starting to like him but he had to take the fall..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
The house burning part did feel harsh, like at that moment they were the bad guys, they were something like storm troopers pushing people down. But they were just doing what they had to do, they following orders, and the person who gave those orders was following orders from someone above him and chose the better method that did not end up with just slaughtering them. Ikta made a mistake where a flick to forehead against a boy he could understand upset was attacking him, drew blood, making the situation like he was coldly manhandling him. That Knight guy coming in punching Ikta, I knew Ikta was actually happy for it, because him dispelling the situation and being some level of a hero, was something he wanted.

Kind of the horrible thing about them defending who they did in the attack, following orders, is that it got a lot of people killed, and that the general guy is the one causing this problem in the first place, that maybe it could end if they did not do it. That guy after all is the closest to an actual monster.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10, Ouch

I'm a bit confused about why Aldera is invading. They talked about the pilgrimage clothes that were found when that one major was assassinated. How was that relevant? The assassins wore pilgrimage clothes so... wouldn't that put the blame on Aldera...? I don't get it. Are they invading because they think the Empire would declare war on them anyway and so they decide to strike first? Or is it that they knew about the stuff Empire did to the spirits all along?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll say I'm not quite a fan of this turning harem-esque with the turnaround that Ikta turns out to know Nana. At least they execute the whole thing well not having resort to simple forgiving. Ikta trading his pinky as an apology is a really good development/showing of his character knowing when to be serious instead of the lazy person he's been shown to be.

Cam0 wrote:

I'm a bit confused about why Aldera is invading. They talked about the pilgrimage clothes that were found when that one major was assassinated. How was that relevant? The assassins wore pilgrimage clothes so... wouldn't that put the blame on Aldera...? I don't get it.

As far as I understood it, it was something about spirit abuse so religious reasons. But I don't quite see why they have any authority. As for the pilgrimage clothing, I'm also a bit confused. I guess someone from the Kioka Republic used that as a guise to incite a reason for Aldera to invade? Perhaps confuse the soldiers/investigators of the dead Major or whoever into thinking that Aldera slaughtered their men first? I mean they did bring up that the Ghost Squad or whoever taught Nana the term "holy war" and Aldera seems far more religious as a country than what we know about Kioka/The Empire.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Interesting episode, I'm glad to see a little bit of history between Ikta and Nanaqu Dal (aka Nana). The amount of characterization in this series has been executed well imo.

Not much action but I'm fine with it. The transition and continuity of the storytelling made it worthwhile. It's just a shame war took a lot of lives already.

Ikta also has some major balls for cutting his finger off to get his point across imo. He's one of those type of characters that aren't afraid to take any risks. Pretty sure we're getting another big battle soon. Also, grats to some of Ikta's friends at getting their promotions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
To me it sounded like the Kioka assassins infiltrated the Empire while wearing pilgrimage clothes and killed the major on their way north, then left the clothes behind because they didn't need them anymore and if found it would point at Aldera anyway. Meanwhile they were teaching the Sinack modern warfare to ignite a war with the Empire. Undoubtedly they also informed the Aldera about the spirit abuse to weakened the Empire further once the Sinack were put down.

What I don't quite understand is Aldera, period. Are they a whole nother country now? I had thought they were just the main religion within the Empire. Is this a civil war about to start or an international one?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
The names are a bit confusing. But simply it kind of sounded like Aldera is like some super religious body, like a church, that both the Empire and the Kioka Republic are involved in, and sleepless has been part of a Kioka plot of getting the Sinak to put up a fight, and then convince Aldera forces to strike against the Empire. Kioka had access to the pilgrimage clothes of Aldera because pilgrims from the church alone would lower guard, and the forces are kind of working Kioka.

It was quite the episode, attempted rape and self mutilation (or is it amputation).
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
So... how does it go then? Kioka informed Aldera about the spirit abuse which gives Aldera a reason to invade the Empire and then Aldera gives some pilgrimage clothes to Kioka because the enemy of my enemy is my friend? Kioka gives those clothes to Sinack. So spirit abuse is the reason why Aldera is invading?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6