• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RWBY (Web Series).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't think spoiler[Blake's exit was made solely to run away. Remember that she is a trained revolutionary and assassin, turned against her former affiliates and harbouring new loyalties to new friends. It's hard to say for certain, given that she was not given much exposition in the aftermath of the Battle of Beacon, but my money is on her being wrought with guilt over running away from the White Fang in the first place instead of standing against them and their new methodology. I think her new mission is to locate and assassinate Adam before he can cause any more destruction (and quite possibly for revenge), and she is going alone because she is afraid of involving her friends after Yang was wounded and incapacitated.]

Weiss has also grown some since her introduction. My theory is that spoiler[she is going along with her father's wishes for now, but not for long. She knows Ruby well enough to make the correct assumption that the latter has left to find and defeat Cinder's faction, and I doubt she'll let her do it alone if she can help it.]

Meanwhile, spoiler[Yang will remain embittered for a time, at least until her mother visits her and rehabilitates her. Harshly.]

But, indeed, regardless of all that... spoiler[I join the rest of you in mourning the passing of Pyrrha Nikos. Penny could theoretically be rebuilt, but taking an arrow to the chest and being disintegrated is not something I can easily see being reversed. Jaune seems motivated enough now, but coming to terms with her loss will be a prominent hurdle for he and what remains of his team, going forwards.]

spoiler[Cinder's faction suffered losses as well, in the form of Roman's consumption by a griffin. Neopolitan might have had the skills to survive, but she, too, was pulled in to the sky at the mercy of a veritable swarm of flying grimm. Her chances of survival were rather slim.]

Gah! And now, we'll need to wait another half a year for all of this to continue. Sad
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Also, has anyone heard any news lately on a release of volume 2 in Japan? I imported the Japanese volume 1 box because of its obvious superiority (good thing I did, too; it's already out of print), and am eagerly awaiting the follow-up. About how long do you think it'll take?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Also, has anyone heard any news lately on a release of volume 2 in Japan? I imported the Japanese volume 1 box because of its obvious superiority (good thing I did, too; it's already out of print), and am eagerly awaiting the follow-up. About how long do you think it'll take?

Actually, you can now order the Japanese version of Volume 1 at Roosterteeth's website.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Gatherum wrote:

Actually, you can now order the Japanese version of Volume 1 at Roosterteeth's website.

For real? *Checks*

Hey, you're right!

...Very expensive, though. Costs more to order it from RT than it did from Amazon Japan. I only paid roughly 7,000 yen for it if we're including shipping. I mean, it's more expensive, now that it's only being offered in Japan by third-party sellers, but yeah.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Volume 3, Chapter 12 (finale)

I had known for a while now that this season was likely to end on a down note, that chances were that everyone would lose to some extent and have to climb up next season. But spoiler[damn that got kind of dark]. What we saw of Ozpin was pretty cool, spoiler[but his total disappearance as well as the visual death of Pyrrha]. I will maybe put in the foolish theory that the spoiler[total removal of the body, that disintegration is some technique that does not just destroy but displaces them for them to become some sort of grim hybrid]. But that is foolish to think, and might make the end less powerful.

Robot arm, please, spoiler[Yang] needs a robot arm!

As someone who watches a lot of RoosterTeeth stuff (like the podcasts, I thought it was pretty cool that Burnie was spoiler[voicing their father].
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
I don't think spoiler[Blake's exit was made solely to run away. Remember that she is a trained revolutionary and assassin, turned against her former affiliates and harbouring new loyalties to new friends. It's hard to say for certain, given that she was not given much exposition in the aftermath of the Battle of Beacon, but my money is on her being wrought with guilt over running away from the White Fang in the first place instead of standing against them and their new methodology. I think her new mission is to locate and assassinate Adam before he can cause any more destruction (and quite possibly for revenge), and she is going alone because she is afraid of involving her friends after Yang was wounded and incapacitated.]

Weiss has also grown some since her introduction. My theory is that spoiler[she is going along with her father's wishes for now, but not for long. She knows Ruby well enough to make the correct assumption that the latter has left to find and defeat Cinder's faction, and I doubt she'll let her do it alone if she can help it.]

Meanwhile, spoiler[Yang will remain embittered for a time, at least until her mother visits her and rehabilitates her. Harshly.]

There have been a few theories going around as to what direction Miles, Kerry, and Gray are going with this, one of them being something my friend thought of. spoiler[It's possible that they're applying a Wizard of Oz motif (no surprise) but with the four main girls this time. Yang needs time to think of what to do from here on, Weiss needs to cope with her father who she sees as fairly immoral and maybe even heartless, Blake filled with guilt and lack of courage just runs away, and Ruby is set to go on her own journey (as Dorothy).

The theory that my friend thought of is that in volume 4, they'll be in each of the four kingdoms. Although Yang is in Patch, that's the closest to Vale. Ruby is trekking to Minstral, Weiss is brought back to Atlas (please see Flynt and Neon again, please see Flynt and Neon again), and by process of elimination, my friend speculates Blake will venture to Vacuo. Considering that Adam once said he would return to Minstral, it's possible for now that Blake would travel as far away from him, heading west. I also added that (and this is a bit of a stretch) it could potentially setup a scenario where Sun might venture West, back to where he came from.

I also wondered something else myself about Ruby's silver eyes, at least in terms of where Miles, Kerry and Gray may be going with this. When I thought of Silver eyes and how important they are, I eventually thought of silver bullets and not only how uncommon they are to lead bullets, but the purpose they serve in some folklore. There are certain stories of how silver bullets are used to kill werewolves, witches and monsters in ways no other bullets could. And then of course there are sayings about those having eyes that pierce the soul or looks that can kill.

Given how these warriors with silver eyes have supposedly existed before huntsmen and kingdoms, they may have existed even before guns in Remnant. And maybe over time between the use of weapons that can transform into guns and dust, huntsmen and huntresses have all this time have pursued to replicate that power.

It sounds like a real stretch, but who knows.]

Also, spoiler[Ruby, Jaune, Nora and Ren seem to be forming team RNJR ("Ranger") or team JNRR (Junior). I dunno about the latter though, RNJR sounds more fitting to me.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
Something that I'm surprised no one's brought up... I'm pretty sure that the spoiler[mysterious power Ruby has] is spoiler[the power of the Summer Maiden]. Which we should have realized ages ago. Because spoiler[her mother is SUMMER Rose], and spoiler[she would have been the one her mother was thinking of when she died].

I saw the scene, and looked at my roommate, and was like "did they tell us this before the show even started?"
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Also, spoiler[Ruby, Jaune, Nora and Ren seem to be forming team RNJR ("Ranger") or team JNRR (Junior). I dunno about the latter though, RNJR sounds more fitting to me.]

My money's on spoiler[Team RRNJ ("Orange"). I actually prefer RNJR, but I see them following up with the colour motif.] Razz
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Something that I'm surprised no one's brought up... I'm pretty sure that the spoiler[mysterious power Ruby has] is spoiler[the power of the Summer Maiden]. Which we should have realized ages ago. Because spoiler[her mother is SUMMER Rose], and spoiler[she would have been the one her mother was thinking of when she died].

I saw the scene, and looked at my roommate, and was like "did they tell us this before the show even started?"

I've definitely noticed many fans elsewhere speculate this ever since spoiler[Qrow brought up the name Autumn back in episode 3 of this past volume.] The reason I've been on the fence about this though is for two reasons:

spoiler[
1) Since we first learned the (now previous) fall maiden's real name was Amber, for me it indicated that someone who's named after a season is not necessarily bound to becoming a maiden. It could be since the color amber matches that of fallen leaves in the times of fall. Then again, for all we know, it could be coincidence as someone named after a season could've simply been born at that time of the year (something like the kids from Wolf Children).

2) It's been established this volume that the World of Remnant is filled with different fairy tales and folklores. So I feel more compelled to believe that different fairy tales can apply to different characters in this story and the way Qrow described the story of the silver-eyed warriors to Ruby, this seems to be unique to her and her mom, unrelated to the maidens.]

Gatherum wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:

My money's on spoiler[Team RRNJ ("Orange"). I actually prefer RNJR, but I see them following up with the colour motif.] Razz

spoiler[Well orange you cocky for coming up with that acronym?]

Ahem... anywhooo... I can't believe I didn't think of that. That also works actually.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Volume 3, Chapter 12 (finale)
What we saw of Ozpin was pretty cool, spoiler[but his total disappearance]

I think what we might see later is spoiler[Ozpin coming back but kind of crazy when he shows up, kind of like Yoda in starwars with Yoda losing to the emperor and later when he trains Luke he's kinda nutty, Ozpin might train the other girls on how to wield the power of the maidens of seasons.]
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Since Volume 4 is still in development, Roosterteeth has released a spin-off series called "RWBY Chibi". As you can guess from the title, it's the cast of RWBY in Chibi form.

And don't worry, the spin-off is funny and lighthearted compared to what happened in Volume 3.
t-Roy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Only problem is, I strongly dislike anything Chibi... I'm just not a fan of comedies or cutesy characters in anime, so I generally avoid all that kind of stuff. I prefer the more serious action, adventure, scifi, drama, or mystery types of anime. Chibi is a huge turnoff for me, because it usually includes a lot of the characters jumping up and down yelling and screaming and spazzing out on each other - which is supposed to be cute and funny, I guess, but to me is only obnoxious and grating. So, I'm sure I won't be interested in the spinoff show at all, unfortunately. But, I do love the regular series - it only keeps getting better and better!
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote
Here's the preview of the Japanese dub of RWBY Volume 2.

And below are the new Japanese voice actors for Volume 2:
Neptune Vasilias:中島ヨシキ - Yoshiki Nakajima
Emerald Sustrai:井上麻里奈 - Inoue Mariya (Attack on Titan as Armin, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as Yoko Littner)
Mercury Black:绿川光 - Hikaru Midorikawa (Haven’t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto as Sakamoto)
Coco Adel:伊藤静 - Shizuka Ito (Assassination Classroom as Irina Jelávic, Psycho-Pass as Yayoi Kunizuka)
James Ironwood:寺杣昌纪 - Terasoma Masaki
Adam Taurus:中村悠一 - Yuichi Nakamura (Oreimo as Kyōsuke Kōsaka, Osomatsu-san as Karamatsu Matsuno)
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:54 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote
So i just saw the 1st episode of Volume 4.

spoiler[So Salem has three more subordinates other than Cinder, which the latter is injured, unable to speak and lost an eye with her battle with Ruby.
Why are we focusing on some Farmboy?
The Possession Grimm from the manga finally makes an appearance in this episode where it controls a golem made of stones.
Love the animation thanks to the new software they're using.
And looks like the next episode is Weiss and her father.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19