• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
91 Days (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Anyway love this anime as much as I do? It's nice to see such an uncompromising main character, very out of character for anime really where most characters seem to be in an eternal doubt.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
#7.5

Recap episode this week so nothing new for anyone following the series.

This series isn't going to a second season, so the break here marks the first half of the tale. Angelo has 1/4 of his revenge completed and is in a better position than at the start to complete 2/4 and 3/4. He's no closer to identifying who the fourth man in the group which visited his house all those years ago nor does he have any clue regarding the identity of the mysterious self-proclaimed best friend of his father.

Looking at the scenes in the OP, I'm wondering how the Galassias and the Vanettis end up in all-out war. No doubt the next few weeks should provide the answer.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Well that was unexpected.

At first I'm thinking the new FBI agent is going to shake things up by giving the feuding mafia families something to think about. As it turns out, he has a family and like every person with a conscience he has to put family before work.

After the FBI sideshow, what did surprise me was Corteo's betrayal of the family (he was the one who set up the Nero assassination attempt). Hearing Angelo's remark to Nero from behind the door must have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Still, Corteo pulled off what Nero, Angelo and the rest of the Vanettis have been longing for since episode 2. Corteo's almost certainly going to die next, the question is whether Angelo will stick up for him or ditch him (and pull the trigger himself) to ensure the vengeance quest doesn't get derailed.

If the recipe is now out in the open, I wonder what kind of a hole that will burn into the Vanetti finances now that they no longer have a monopoly.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
That ending of episode 8 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
They really could've developed that whole plot better, but I can't argue with the results... damn.
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
As expected, the Galassias are being side-tracked. We'll probably hear from them later again but for now they're out of the picture.

I don't really get the purpose of this episode, as it seemed to me like padding. Isn't now the perfect opportunity for Angelo to get rid of his targets? He seems to go way out of his way for no real purpose. I guess he's looking for the 4th target, but he'd probably be able to do that easier if he was cut loose from the Vanetti family.

Anyway, as for Corteo, I'm again surprised that Angelo seems to have no clue whatsoever. Didn't it seem obvious that Corteo was in a pretty odd position right about now. He was never part of the Mafia and was always following Angelo around. Now that Angelo left him, it was just a matter of time before he'd snap, Angelo should've known that as it was a pretty obvious consequence. Maybe this was a deliberate move from Angelo to get Fango into a vulnerable position? I don't know, that sounds too far fetched.

I'm happy the police guy's family didn't die tho, again that felt really out of character. This should've struck a chord with Angelo, otherwise he's really just unnaturally cold. I half expect him to be behind saving the family. If not he's getting unrelatable.

Anyway, many things that just don't add up in this episode, my least favorite one so far.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
That was pretty surprising for me. Wasn't expecting Corteo to actually kill Fango (thought it would be the opposite way around). Now I wonder if Nero will find out who the real traitor will be?

Intense episode. Glad to see the show return in full force. I wonder what Corteo plans to do next though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Holy crap, Corteo really killed Fango. There goes the best character in the show (not necessarily a good person), but I was enjoying the decline of Corteo, especially for example when he was getting paranoid that the other guy knew when he visited him at the lodge.

Was anyone else reminded of that one Simpsons episode where Springfield has a prohibition and the agent comes to town to bring down Homer's moonshine? Maybe it was just me, but when the guy was introduced it kind of made me laugh in thinking of the scene where the guy raids Moe's bar masquerading as a pet shop.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
If the recipe is now out in the open, I wonder what kind of a hole that will burn into the Vanetti finances now that they no longer have a monopoly.

What makes you think it's out in the open? I think only Fango had that and now that he's dead it's no longer a problam.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Do you expect Fango to brew up a bottle of moonshine liquor without help? Especially when he's expecting to do so on an industrial scale and not in mum's kitchen like Corteo did before he was scouted?

Fango has underlings who need the recipe in order to reproduce the drink. Effectively that means his death has left the knowledge of the drink with his brewing staff who are members of the public.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Although Nero is the acting don of the Vanettis, Angelo doesn't have access to Vanetti senior on his current position and influence. As mentioned in an earlier episode, he needs to gain Nero's trust as a way of entering the inner circle and he's halfway there (the uncle still doesn't trust Nero so why should the elder brother be anything different?)

Target #4 is still as mysterious as ever but my guess is the uncle since he's influential within the family. I don't see any strife between Vanetti senior and his brother so the two of them probably worked together for the Lagusa hit.
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
I haven't really been impressed with these last few episodes. It feels like there's a loss of focus generally. And Angelo in particular is showing some random behaviour. At one point he's cold enough to kill a child and the other he just lets Nero go. He's starting to get less and less relatable, which is regrettable because I liked his quest for revenge.

I hope the next episode can pick up the thread again after what I feel has been padding with events that have had little real consequence.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote

I was wrong with my earlier assertion regarding the Galassias and Corteo's alcohol. It appears Frate's death did keep the Vanettis away from annihilation while Fango's underlings knew the recipe but kept their mouths shut as part of a rival mafia family.

Corteo unsurprisingly gets caught and hammered hard to make him squeal, but as expected Angelo put up with it so long as Corteo wasn't under immediate threat of execution. I had suspected the uncle of the Vanettis of being the mysterious 4th person and was proven right after this week's episode, but I'm still unsure as to why the uncle wants both his brother and his nephew dead for a killing which took place seven years before the current timeline.

Angelo probably figured out the uncle was #4 after the poorly staged farce that was Corteo's escape, but viewers are not immediately told how Angelo figured out the uncle's hideout so quickly.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Seriously, every cut looked like garbage.)

Um... this line belongs more in the review for episode 5 more than it does the one for episode 9.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Given the animation in this, I wasn't sure if that long hold on Corteo waving was just padding or a flag. He was too good for this world.

At any rate, I thought it was incredibly poorly thought out to hide Corteo in a place the uncle already knew about. :/ That whole thing could have been handled better to give Angelo some deniability about knowing they were on the same ship.
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
So can anyone explain what these last few episodes were meant for? Because they felt pretty insignificant. It didn't help that Corteo felt like a third wheel from the very beginning. Not to mention that this plot didn't make much sense anyway.

In the meantime, Vincent just sits there half-death, smoking cigars. While Avillio claims he's hard to kill? Seriously, the dude should get on with it by now. He even knows who the fourth killer is, he could've just let Corteo sit there at the uncle's place and start doing his revenge instead of padding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5