• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rewrite

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Kotarou does remember asking Kotori out. In fact, that's supposed to be his flashback, not Kotori's. The cuts right before and after indicate that. (It's also an important part of Kotori's route.)

Also, it should be power spot. Power point just makes me think Kagari is a product of Microsoft Office. Laughing
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
For the people who've been posting comparisons to the visual novel in the forum, I wonder if someone could provide a thousand-foot overview of the VN, like:

• How good or bad the fan translation is and who did it (with an official version on the way from Key, I'm obviously not going to start reading the fanwork now, of course)
  • Honestly, where Rewrite's reputation is among Key's other major works (Clannad, Kanon, Little Busters!, etc.).
  • How branch-y this VN is. Do you make a lot of choices that greatly alter your course through the game, or is there one story with only minor tweaks based on your choices?

Thanks in advance…

-The translation was really good. I didn't see any problems.

-Rewrite is more popular outside of Japan. I personally rank it the lowest in my list. It is a totally different feel and I didn't agree with writing in the last routes. It looks like the newest version of the game (from this new route) will correct some of the issues I had, but it isn't the same as past KEY games.

-It's about the same as every VN. The girls have routes that you need to complete and then you need them to unlock the real end. What is different is you learn about the overall stroy through each route. Wen you do Kotori's route first, everything comes as a huge shock and then you get to know each side.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
This anime sure insists on moping about precious times that never happened.
Kotarou touching Akane's boobs is the thing that's had the most setup.
The episode was pretty funny at times, but... why? The fun times should've happened at the beginning. This show is all backwards.
Pretty weird way to interject some of Chihaya's route's aspects in there, too.
As always, there's not a single drop of drama or impact in any revelation.

And that ending... Did they lie to us? I was pretty sure Shizuru and Lucia were going to fight there, but if Lucia is really gone, then that's obviously not happening. Let's see where they go with this.

Final 3 episodes and I don't have much hope. We better get that Moon/Terra season.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
If you remember Kotarou's reaction to the claw he was pretty surprised by it too. That plus the way he experimented a bit with it later on makes me think that it's something other than his rewrite power considering he has known about that one since the show started.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
That's kinda funny, because this anime is actually growing on me. Ever since Kagari's route has started, I've been really impressed how much of the story they've been able to cover in such a short time without making it feel like a giant info dump.

Although, it seems like Chihaya has kind of gotten the shaft, but there's still a few episodes left.

I still wish we could have had the action-packed, 52 episode full adaptation I always imagined, but what can you do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
Lucia would obviously survive. The concrete evidence is her appearances in both the opening and ending. There is no way the show would just kill off a character as prominent as her in such a less than remarkable fashion. If anything she would find a super op weapon/power ups from under the abyss.

The whole Kotarou's "rewrite power would end up consuming him if used too often" feel like such a cliche' though. Feels like any power-ups from a hero these days always have some dark side to it.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Does this show really have time to waste on fanservice?

Anyways, with Lucia now alive, I guess that will really happen. Add to that everything the OP alludes to, and we've got a lot to go through during these last 2 episodes.

The good part about this is that there's literally no way they can fit in Moon and Terra now, so I guess second season confirmed!
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
The writing still allows room for a little humor though. It may just be me, but Kagari's running joke about idolizing canned coffee is still pretty funny. (Could it be “freecof” that ultimately saves the world? That would be such a savagely ironic twist that I will stand up and applaud if they actually have the gall to pull that stunt.)

And I will stand up and applaud with you.

They already used a tiny flying meteorite as the divergence factor for Kagari's route, so I wouldn't put it past Romeo Tanaka to pull that off, too.

My best guess is it'll be a tragic ending or a bittersweet ending. I say that with knowledge of the VN, but also looking at it as a common conclusion to some of Key's stories.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
it's not freecof, but feecof , it's a funny litle thing some teenagers do do sound edgy/cool or avoid saying a specific word like when they say bichiku (in gto).
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Yup, that quote about the Shizuru vs Lucia fight was definitely a mistranslation.

The animation was really awkward all throughout the episode. Be it off-model characters and general choppiness, or weird CGI integration, it wasn't a pretty sight. Especially for what's supposed to be the climax.

Lots of high points from various routes stripped off of their contexts and build-ups.

I really don't like the new City of Stone. It takes the name too literally and is completely different from how it's supposed to be.

I'm guessing the end will be some sort of variation on the Akane end, plus maybe spoiler[a bit of Chihaya's, if the OP is to be believed and that thing with Sakuya will really happen]. I think we'll definitely get some of Kotori's route by spoiler[revealing the truth about Kotarou] and maybe we'll even get some of Shizuru's with spoiler[the whole tree thing].

So, a hodgepodge of sorts. Par for the course with this adaptation.
I think, though, that the very end itself, as in the final moment, might be original and will tie into the next Moon/Terra season. Which is definitely happening.

The studio certainly wasn't able to animate you for that long, Kotori.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
That's kinda funny, because this anime is actually growing on me. Ever since Kagari's route has started, I've been really impressed how much of the story they've been able to cover in such a short time without making it feel like a giant info dump....ll wish we could have had the action-packed, 52 episode full adaptation I always imagined, but what can you do.
It's sort of the reverse for me, I've refrained from posting and have been trying to find something in this show to like, but it's just not happening. I love the other Key works, Planeterian, Clannad, Kanon, Air some of which I played as VN but this one is a mess and too much is happening to make it relatable or even intelligible sometimes and I doubt 52 episodes would do anything but increase the length of the mess. For you and others who are "into" this, sorry for the intrusion, hope you get Moon and Terra but I'm out.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
but this one is a mess and too much is happening to make it relatable or even intelligible sometimes and I doubt 52 episodes would do anything but increase the length of the mess

You should give the VN a try. The mess is definitely 100% on the adaptation. That's what happens when you mix a long common route with 5 heroine routes and condense a story almost as long as the Bible into just 13 episodes.

If there's a Moon/Terra season, it shouldn't have that problem, though. They're short linear stories that can easily be done in 1 cour. I'm not sure if an anime-only watcher will be able to fully appreciate it (especially one with an already negative opinion), but the adaptation itself should be good and it's arguably the best part of the game. They'd really have to go out of their way to ruin it.
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Yup, that quote about the Shizuru vs Lucia fight was definitely a mistranslation.

The animation was really awkward all throughout the episode. Be it off-model characters and general choppiness, or weird CGI integration, it wasn't a pretty sight. Especially for what's supposed to be the climax.

Lots of high points from various routes stripped off of their contexts and build-ups.

I really don't like the new City of Stone. It takes the name too literally and is completely different from how it's supposed to be.

I'm guessing the end will be some sort of variation on the Akane end, plus maybe spoiler[a bit of Chihaya's, if the OP is to be believed and that thing with Sakuya will really happen]. I think we'll definitely get some of Kotori's route by spoiler[revealing the truth about Kotarou] and maybe we'll even get some of Shizuru's with spoiler[the whole tree thing].

So, a hodgepodge of sorts. Par for the course with this adaptation.
I think, though, that the very end itself, as in the final moment, might be original and will tie into the next Moon/Terra season. Which is definitely happening.

The studio certainly wasn't able to animate you for that long, Kotori.

This week's ep was outsourced to a small studio since 8-Bit doesn't really have that much time to produce everything, you know, this is a reoccurring problem in modern anime, and its all because of the tight schedule given by Aniplex to 8-Bit's Rewrite team.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree on the part about Kotori's parents. It had 0 impact. Kotori talking about it a bit tried to make up for it, but I just didn't feel anything. Of course, the show had no time to spend on it, and it could've been worse if it did, seeing how much it's trying to balance already, but that's just another sign of how poorly the show has been handled.

The "message" certainly is shaping up to be like what you described. I'm sure Akane will join the group, and they'll try to convince Kagari. Seems like it's the only thing the "new route" is doing, making the Occult Club reunite by remembering the strong bonds they made over all those memories (that never happened in the show) to try and stop Salvation. They didn't even get that right.

ZaYDgH123 wrote:
This week's ep was outsourced to a small studio since 8-Bit doesn't really have that much time to produce everything, you know, this is a reoccurring problem in modern anime, and its all because of the tight schedule given by Aniplex to 8-Bit's Rewrite team.

I know most animation work is outsource on most productions, but this is the climax. Unless we get our minds blown next episode with animation on par with Mob Psycho 100, there's no excuse. Why didn't they leave the last few episodes where nothing happened to the inexperienced animators?
It happened with Prisma Illya this week, too. At least as far as story goes, that one was pretty good.
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:

I know most animation work is outsource on most productions, but this is the climax. Unless we get our minds blown next episode with animation on par with Mob Psycho 100, there's no excuse. Why didn't they leave the last few episodes where nothing happened to the inexperienced animators?
It happened with Prisma Illya this week, too. At least as far as story goes, that one was pretty good.

As much as I want this to happen as a fellow fan of Rewrite and animation, I don't think that its possible, I mean they might be able to make the characters at least on model for most of the ep and have some few good cuts, but I don't think that they will be able to reach Mob Psycho 100 which has a good schedule and lots of good animators from all over the place.

I know its sad but don't expect good animation from the final ep, after what we've seen from this series, I don't think they can make the last ep visually impressive.

if they are planning on making another season of this that adapts the true routes (Moon and Terra) then I wish if they could give it to a different animation team/studio and delay it a little bit so we can have better quality
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7