• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Battleship Yamato 2202 7-Part Theatrical Anime Project Premieres on February 25

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
Just waiting on CDJapan to list it for pre-order. I'm hoping this has English subs like the previous entries.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
I hope for English subtitles too. Right now, the official page doesn't list English subtitles (英語字幕) the way that the pages for all the 2199 releases have done so far, but they do continue to list "Star Blazers" on the various promos and Bandai has been continuing to put English subs on Yamato and Gundam releases, at least the Blu-Rays.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
It's been pointed out to me that the 2199 releases didn't list English subs this early in the piece either... so who knows.

Given one of the recent interviews with Shoji Nishizaki translated over at ourstarblazers.com suggesting international releases were going to go ahead this time, maybe they're not going to include them. I hope not, given Voyager's track record outside of Japan with 2199 to date.

Meanwhile, the most interesting thing that was announced was product placement. Under Armor sportswear is on board both in Japan and the US. They had a life-size cutout of Akira Yamamoto in an Under Armor branded flight suit on the set of the broadcast, and had a pair of Under Armor branded shoes on hand as well. Supposedly this collaboration will both be in Japan and the US.
Rheinhard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine why the eventual Blu-Rays of this series wouldn't contain English subs just like the 2199 discs did. Since their half-hearted efforts at marketing "Starblazers 2199" failed pretty miserably, I think if they want to have any sales at all in the English-speaking world it kinda behooves them to at least have the same quality BRD subs.

That being said.. Great. Googly. Moogly. Shocked I think I hurt my facial muscles smiling this much there at the end, and that pipe organ theme always bring a tear to my eye. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Time to start planning Japan trip for February!!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
Sweet. And I also hope the BD's include English subtitles.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Finally something worth giving a damn about in 2017. Very Happy
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this ever since they released 2199. The Comet Empire arc was always my favorite part of Yamato and I can't wait to see how the reboot will look!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Rheinhard wrote:
I can't imagine why the eventual Blu-Rays of this series wouldn't contain English subs just like the 2199 discs did. Since their half-hearted efforts at marketing "Starblazers 2199" failed pretty miserably, I think if they want to have any sales at all in the English-speaking world it kinda behooves them to at least have the same quality BRD subs.

That being said.. Great. Googly. Moogly. Shocked I think I hurt my facial muscles smiling this much there at the end, and that pipe organ theme always bring a tear to my eye. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Time to start planning Japan trip for February!!

Well, I'm definitely not counting on Voyager to release it here after that botched release of the previous series. I had to import the last 3 volumes and the movie from Japan to finish 2199. This time I'm just going import from the start.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Just waiting on CDJapan to list it for pre-order. I'm hoping this has English subs like the previous entries.

Indeed i hope they continue the English sub trend going unlike the Jojo Bizzare that got my burned after collecting the first series Japanese BD release Mad
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
One other thing the site announced was the January release of a Blu-Ray complete box set of 2199 in Japan with 400 minutes of extras. Aside from having the TV versions of the OPs and EDs, footage from one of the "Yamatalk" sessions (where Yamato Crew Members had a private audience with production staff and cast around the time of each chapter's cinematic release), not sure without digging into my Blu-Rays what is and isn't on the regular discs. The "TV Box" they released at the end of the broadcast was actually the regular discs in the first place, so the addition of the TV broadcast materials is a surprise (hopefully they remain the regular discs because the TV broadcast version of Episode 20 cut in the credits and ending theme over footage).

It also looks like they plan to add more extras to the box set.

The key collectable in this though is the art box painted by Yamato 2199 artist Naoyuki Katoh, who did all the Blu-Ray slip cover artwork.

It's also listed to go on preorder at 10:00 Tuesday Sep 6 JST like the first 2202 disc. SRP is 35,000 yen, which is about 12,000 yen below what I paid (including shipping to Australia) for all seven volumes of 2199 for a friend of mine on Amazon Japan several months ago.

Hopefully they'll be available on sites other than Yamato Crew. That 35,000 yen price tag might come down a bit on Amazon.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
oh hell yes Comet Empire here we come. Also I love that the subtitle for this series uses the actual subtitle from the second Yamato Movie (Farewell Yamato Warriors of Love) so does this mean we are getting all the character deaths this time or we getting the TV version of the events?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:
oh hell yes Comet Empire here we come. Also I love that the subtitle for this series uses the actual subtitle from the second Yamato Movie (Farewell Yamato Warriors of Love) so does this mean we are getting all the character deaths this time or we getting the TV version of the events?

In an interview in Yamato Crew's Ship's Log from the July 2015 issue, Executive Producer Shoji Nishizaki stated that it would have elements from the movie and TV version of the events. Since the body count was almost as high in the TV series as it was in the movie, I'd expect the TV ending is more likely, since they have several more productions planned. After all, there was another TV series and three more movies made in the original saga.
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I really wonder how they're going to follow the story arc of Desslok going from Generic Bad Guy to Obsessed with Revenge to Honorable Enemy to ally. They left him in kind of a batshit crazy state, and Gamalon wasn't devastated like it was in the original series.

Yeah. I really want to see where they go with this.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
I really wonder how they're going to follow the story arc of Desslok going from Generic Bad Guy to Obsessed with Revenge to Honorable Enemy to ally. They left him in kind of a batshit crazy state, and Gamalon wasn't devastated like it was in the original series.

Yeah. I really want to see where they go with this.

I'm not sure they can go anywhere with this now. He's not like the original series Dessler/Desslok who spoiler[ until Yamato III/Bolar Wars believed he and his crew were all that remained of their doomed homeworld. Maybe they'll go the way it went in the movie version rather than the TV version.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Too bad Voyager Entertainment is the Harmony Gold of Space Battleship Yamato. That company went to complete s*** as soon as they let go Tim Eldred. Probably well before that, even.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2