• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Second Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perroloco

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Why is people so shocked the Stagiaire arc is gonna be 'only' 3 episodes? 3 episodes is more than enough to cover an 11 chapters arc, that's around 3.5 manga chapters per episode, perfectly doable, obviously expect some content to be abridged or stuff but I don't think there will be many things they will cut.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I think I enjoyed the review more than the episode. That's less a knock on the episode than praise for the critique. Wink
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Thank you!! Very Happy
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
3 episodes might be enough for the first part of the Stagiaire, since they already did a part of that arc at the end of episode 10...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Silly Souma, you need to dedicate your cooking to a waifu like Akira did to win. As long as you don't know what you're fighting for, you'll never surpass Unlimited Spice Works!
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Haven't they already said that this season will be 13 Episodes?

How do they plan to fit the whole Stagnier arc in just three episodes? I know I keep harping on it but the pacing of this season has just been so strange.

in the end it will come down to what the director wants to show from that arc. the purest will have issues if it is not 100% of the manga. the people who have never read the manga will just want a good arc that leaves them wanting a new arc and more and more. this series has been one of the best of the year from my pov. i hope that they are able to keep that level of entertainment moving forward.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
At first I thought this season was only 12 episodes only to be surprised when I learned that it was 13. I was worried cos they might skip most of the Stagiaire arc just to focus on the end part but its actually doable in just 3 eps. Because the Stagiaire system has been explained at the end of ep 10, they can easily start with the arc with ep 11 and end half of it on the first half of ep 12. The second half of the ep can easily start with the second part of the arc too just like how the manga did so its quite possible to pull it off with a few tweaks of course. Had it stayed at 12 eps only then I wouldnt think it were possible
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the prevailing theory that Erina has learned nothing from the first half of Stagiaire. Maybe it is me, but I would think that her lesson here is a lot more subtle. Erina doesn't think that her view of the world of cooking is in need of change, nor she doesn't really seek to have it challenged either. Megumi does this, however, without really trying by simply speaking up for herself and her idea.

I think this is the first time that Erina manages to acknowledge someone else's skill and foresight. What makes that rather important is that for the most part, this surprises Erina... Megumi has managed to dip under just about every radar with her rather bad academic performance prior to Souma's intervention back in Season 1. This is someone that is far lower in scholastic achievements, accolades and status than Erina, and she outright has to acknowledge their foresight when it turns out to be on the button.

I don't think that you are going to seem a major shake in Erina world view
spoiler[because it has it's roots in her upbringing and her father, which does come back to haunt her].
However to say that she isn't learning seems to be be off the mark to me.

That said, this episode seems to have some lost of impact to me.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Issac Sarrowtail wrote:

I think this is the first time that Erina manages to acknowledge someone else's skill and foresight. What makes that rather important is that for the most part, this surprises Erina... Megumi has managed to dip under just about every radar with her rather bad academic performance prior to Souma's intervention back in Season 1. This is someone that is far lower in scholastic achievements, accolades and status than Erina, and she outright has to acknowledge their foresight when it turns out to be on the button.

I hadn't thought of it that way; seen in that light, you're right - there is more growth than I was noting. I'll keep that in mind going forward. I do love that Megumi is the instrument of Erina's learning - they could both learn from each other if they can become semi-comfortable together.
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
Oh neat, they put in all of the stagiaire... I feel this part of the stagiaire shows us the overall strengths that Souma has gained from his experience working in his restaurant, the next part actually covers his weaknesses of it... this arc and the end of the previous arc actually made the best character development for Souma in this entire series...
Inopethflames

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:27 am Reply with quote
YES. Now THIS is food wars. The cooking battles were all good, but it got really repetitive and wasn't nearly as good as the bulk of season one. This show succeeds because of the characters and how cooking and food is implemented into their stories, it's not as good when it's just an iron chef in anime form. It felt like that loooong stretch of constant food battles was taking time away from what the show previously was. It was good but previously the show was great. Hopefully now it'll get back to being great and then there will be a third season soon which will be more like season one. There's so many characters and just following soma and his close friends, they should make more just original anime about them if the manga doesn't go for too long. Or the manga could go on for years.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I hadn't thought of it that way; seen in that light, you're right - there is more growth than I was noting. I'll keep that in mind going forward. I do love that Megumi is the instrument of Erina's learning - they could both learn from each other if they can become semi-comfortable together.

As I said, it's rather subtle... and between the manga and the anime (with the way that it is blowing by the source material), some of that impact is lost. That said, anime got the bigger lesson of it which is good, because it is one of the key things to changing the character.

With that said, Megumi is something like that for nearly everyone that clashes with her. Back at season one, this was the end result of her Shokugeki with Shinomiya... we only now begin to see the results of that with his reappearance in season two.
He's still a hardass, but Shinomiya is notably different from when we first met the man. He's mellowed out somewhat, more open to change and different approaches. And concerns himself with others and with the service (something of a necessity for the Michelin Guide three star rating). I don't think that he would have ever gotten to this point had it not been for that confrontation.
The short lived Miyoko Houjou is another, what with her hatred of men...
As much as I do like that side of Megumi's character, I don't see that happening much with Megumi and Erina if only for Megumi's rather huge fear of people of status. She was almost a nervous wreck when riding with Erina before they get to talking, and Erina is on the lower rung of the highest totem pole in Tootsuki Academy outside of the Alummi.
That said, I do hope to see those two interact more. Lord knows, Erina needs more friends.

Inopethflames wrote:
YES. Now THIS is food wars. The cooking battles were all good, but it got really repetitive and wasn't nearly as good as the bulk of season one. This show succeeds because of the characters and how cooking and food is implemented into their stories, it's not as good when it's just an iron chef in anime form. It felt like that loooong stretch of constant food battles was taking time away from what the show previously was..

I will be honest, I feel that half of the reason that JC Staff is whipping by the source material is because the Fall Elections Arc was rather long in the tooth. By the time that we got to the final episode of that, I honestly could not take another episode of it. I was glad to be done with it, frankly.
If there is one thing that is kind of missing with the Second Plate it was the comedy, Food Wars is as much about foodgasms as it is about yuks, and there is plenty of both when stagiaire starts. And I welcome the return, it's just a shame that it's not for long before the anime ends
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
this has been refreshing. to feel again the excitement of "i can not wait for next week". This series has restored that. I do hope the author can and will continue to produce new volumes and that the production cast will also keep up on them for the anime. watching Soma grow up has been fun and seeing the basic desire to evolve his cooking still as his focus is refreshing.

it is also to me fun to note how soma has affected everyone around him. Shinomiya developed respect and realized he needed to change to improve. Megumi has begun to grow and she is growing stronger.

I would love to see what happens to Erina if she were to have to live at Polar Star. honestly it would be good for her. of course the other students may have different thoughts on that but it would still be fun to watch.

last thing is watching Soma not become flustered by his failures. it is affecting the kitchen staff at Shino's Tokyo and i think in a good way.

i am really ready for next weeks episode to arrive so i can have one more exciting ride along the edge of the knife.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
for manga readers, in the manga do we get more elaborate chapters of what is going on during the stagiere with the other students, or is it only vignetes like it is in the anime ?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
^mostly we just get single panels or at most a page or two to give a general idea of what the characters are doing. Soma's first 2 weeks are the only ones we follow completely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9