• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Unveils PlayStation 4 Slim, PlayStation 4 Pro Consoles (Updated)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when they were going to release a slim version. I already have a PS4, but I know a few people that like to wait until they release the slim version.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Week of September 15 should be good in Japan with the PS4 Slim + P5 combo.
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, because now I can finally get a cheaper PS4 before FFXV is released.
I am worried about the PS4 Pro though. Will Sony, just like Nintendo did with their New 3DS, release games that are only playable on the PS4 Pro? Because if that is the case, the Pro might be a better investment.
MadHi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I didn't get the PS4 yet. I'm going Pro!
Vannil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
SamTheNayru wrote:
This is great news, because now I can finally get a cheaper PS4 before FFXV is released.
I am worried about the PS4 Pro though. Will Sony, just like Nintendo did with their New 3DS, release games that are only playable on the PS4 Pro? Because if that is the case, the Pro might be a better investment.

They said at e3 I think that They will be same, but. They will probably phase it out at some point.
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Totally hilarious that the Pro despite being a Sony 4k console wont play 4k blurays whilst the Xbox One S will.

Thanks for giving me a reason to own a xbox sony.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't really find that hilarious at all. Particularly on an anime forum where there's not even been a consistent use of 1080p animation. Jumping to 4k seems pretty pointless if it's just upscaling a lower resolution source.

That said, I'll never understand the idea of buying a console for an optical media device. Consoles are to play video games if you do not want to play video games on your computer. In the olden days consoles were more for playing video games on the same couch with friends, but that aspect of consoles has been minimized to near non-existence.

If you want 4k Bluray then it'd be much cheaper to get a standalone Bluray player for that, especially if you wait a few years like anybody would if they paid any sort of attention to the past optical media upgrades.

I don't really get the point of paying $400 for a slightly better PS4 either. This is a solid option for those who don't already have it, but buying a whole new console for a minimal upgrade just doesn't seem worth it. Then again, I say the same thing with phones and that's obviously working with so many people constantly shelling out cash to get the latest model which is the same as the old model plus a few new pointless features so whatever.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
*makes note to start checking Craigslist starting on September 15*
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
SamTheNayru wrote:

They said at e3 I think that They will be same, but. They will probably phase it out at some point.

They've specifically said that they won't allow any console release that is not playable on the PS4 (original/slim) along with the PS4 Pro (neo). They're going out of their way to indicate that they don't want to split the console base, and I really can't see them doing that at all for the duration of the console's life.

This is really just a stop-gap. Microsoft is doing pretty much the same thing, and it's a result of both the PS4 and the Xbox One not being incredibly far ahead price-performance-wise upon release, as the 360 and PS3 (the PS3 in particular) were. Neither company wanted to sell the HW at a giant loss this time (for Sony, especially if they were only going to play Blu-Rays and not buy games - which Sony makes back the money on), so the consoles got outdated quickly.

That's probably the reason Sony decided not to put a UHD Blu-Ray drive in the Pro, but I can't say that I'm not disappointed. This was a chance to get out ahead of things, differentiate the Pro hardware further, not lose any PS supporters to MS (which does have it), and leverage the build-out for eventual standalone UHD players like with their Blu-Ray models. Sony seems to lack vision here, and that's a shame. The PS4 has been wildly successful, and it feels like the HW cost investment (maybe split the materials cost in the price hike) would help maintain Sony's health in the long term.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Aphasial wrote:
That's probably the reason Sony decided not to put a UHD Blu-Ray drive in the Pro, but I can't say that I'm not disappointed. This was a chance to get out ahead of things, differentiate the Pro hardware further, not lose any PS supporters to MS (which does have it), and leverage the build-out for eventual standalone UHD players like with their Blu-Ray models. Sony seems to lack vision here, and that's a shame. The PS4 has been wildly successful, and it feels like the HW cost investment (maybe split the materials cost in the price hike) would help maintain Sony's health in the long term.

That doesn't rule out the attempt to try and sell UHD with "It's going to be all download anyway!"
That's been the chief fatal in-fighting between the two dueling divisions of the industry--The studios who believe the Future of UHD is going to be digital, and the hardware companies who believe they'll sell the next generation of standalone players, and are both pursuing their dreams at the expense of the other.

Sony is in the position of being both, and if they wanted to use PS4 to push UHD the way that PS2 singlehandedly saved DVD and PS3 singlehandedly saved Blu-ray and Blu3D, they're going to be at odds with themselves when no one buys the 4K Blus of the Ghostbusters remake.

(I'm still on the fence about getting a Slim, though--Does it still play Blu3D?)
joac101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Aphasial wrote:

They've specifically said that they won't allow any console release that is not playable on the PS4 (original/slim) along with the PS4 Pro (neo). They're going out of their way to indicate that they don't want to split the console base, and I really can't see them doing that at all for the duration of the console's life.

This is really just a stop-gap. Microsoft is doing pretty much the same thing, and it's a result of both the PS4 and the Xbox One not being incredibly far ahead price-performance-wise upon release, as the 360 and PS3 (the PS3 in particular) were. Neither company wanted to sell the HW at a giant loss this time (for Sony, especially if they were only going to play Blu-Rays and not buy games - which Sony makes back the money on), so the consoles got outdated quickly.

I mean if they ARE gonna be planning Pro exclusive games then why release the Slim 2 months before the Pro, then Slim owners would feel f***ed up
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, Sony can't sell you guys the same machine in one year with a 4K reader if they placed one on it now.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it's finally time to join the PS4 bandwagon. The specs honestly don't mean too much to me (I don't own or play to buy any 4K related media or TVs, and I don't know what HDR means), but since the games I'm looking forward to (KH 3, FF15, The Last Guardian) seem like they'll be pretty graphics heavy, I figure I might as well go Pro.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
It feels kind of weird tome to see the word "Pro" being used for the more expensive model. As someone who follows releases from Stern, their "Pro" models are their lowest-end ones and move up to "Premium," "Limited," and, with the announcement of Batman '66, "Super-Limited." (The idea is that the models above Pro are meant for collectors and those with the budget to not compromise, meaning "Pro" refers to normal people.) But I know that in the software business, "Pro" is meant to differentiate from regular consumer editions, like with Avid or QuickBooks.

Still, I think I'll be slowly building up my budget for this. Once it reaches $440, I'll pick myself PS4. Only one problem: There is someone living with us who has no respect for electronics and likes to fiddle with anything that looks new and trendy when no one is looking. I had to have a lock installed on my bedroom door because of her.

Megiddo wrote:
That said, I'll never understand the idea of buying a console for an optical media device. Consoles are to play video games if you do not want to play video games on your computer. In the olden days consoles were more for playing video games on the same couch with friends, but that aspect of consoles has been minimized to near non-existence.

Some people just aren't interested in playing video games. The PS3 happened to be a good reliable Blu-Ray player and one of the first ones released, so cinephiles flocked to get them to watch their movies in HD as soon as possible. To them, the PS3 is a Blu-Ray player that also happens to run video games if you care to play them.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
The slim and price drop is nice.

But Sony dropped the ball badly on the Pro.

The slim is the mass market console.

The Pro should've been the more expensive enthusiast model.

The specs should've been bumped up enough to render 4K as close to natively as possible, as well as there should've been a UHD drive.

Unless Sony somehow plans to magically upgrade every player to read UHD discs through firmware, or plans another model revision, their competitor is going to run them over in the enthusiast market when Scorpio comes around.

Not to mention those people upgrading to 4K TVs looking for an all-in-one system will have either the slim Xbox 1 S or the upcoming Scorpio as a better alternative to the PS4 Pro.

I know that Microsoft got shafted for emphasizing media over gaming prior to launch, but to not include a UHD player in what you're pushing as a 4K enthusiast model is a severely missed opportunity that their competitor will capitalize upon or just push consumers to PC or standalone devices.

Terrible decision, and one that wouldn't cost them much. Considering BOM puts a UHD drive inclusion at around $15-20, and Sony could've just upped the price to $450, allowing them room to drop to $400 closer to Scorpio's arrival.

In either case, I personally don't like the precedent these upgrade consoles set. It just tells me never to buy a console at launch ever again and just wait for a potential upgraded model. Before, we only had to worry about slim and other cosmetic things that largely didn't effect your gaming experience. But if the console industry is taking the path of more upgraded models every few years it kind of kills what I'd enjoyed about buying consoles for in the first place. Knowing that your box is a fixed state of the art system that will be supported for 7-10 years where devs try to max it out. Then having a nice reset when the next model comes out and every dev is forced to get on board and by that time the graphical jump thanks to the length of time and progressing tech in the PC space makes it worthwhile to see the benefits of upgrading your box after 7-10 years.

If it's just going to be like the pc/phone market where there are smaller transitions, then that kills the excitement where the idea of generations gave you a leap from what you've known to what is to come.

If this is the way things are going to be, call me when games are just streaming OnLive PSNow services so that I never have to upgrade hardware again and they can update it as much as they want on the server side without the hassle to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3