• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Director Yamakan Says He Envies Makoto Shinkai's your name. Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
He's brown nosing deeper than Kevin Smith.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
>.< Been that long since Voices huh...makes me feel ancient. Comments like this make me so hyped to see this after I already loved his older works so much

Here's Jun Maeda's tweet about the movie

https://twitter.com/jun_tenhou/status/772669482216988672

Everyone seem so pleased with this film
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hm... People think the film is a mess?
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

So, the heart transplantation was successful?
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

So, the heart transplantation was successful?

The dude doesn't need the heart transplant immediately, but it will eventually be needed. Right now he is alive and well.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
>.< Been that long since Voices huh...makes me feel ancient.

It has indeed, though I do not expect much to surpass it. Shinkai enjoys huge budgets and gifted animators at his disposal, but such assets can never be used to recreate something so raw and deeply personal. Given how collaborative an effort anime production usually is, a direct and univocal expression of any emotion is seldom possible for a director. Voices was an exception to this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeopower6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
A bit sad, but I guess Yamakan never really had it in him? His works always tend to be a bit lukewarm while others are blazing ahead of him.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I haven't read anything that said this, even reviews on Japanese sites are really high. I think this is a minority reaction.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
This guy still has serious issues man.
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
A bit sad, but I guess Yamakan never really had it in him? His works always tend to be a bit lukewarm while others are blazing ahead of him.

I think he's exactly right when he says it's because he's not willing to make the shots that this film makes. Ultimately the directors people tend to remember are those that make things people didn't expect - those whose styles blow through everything else. The only other way to be a big director is to just get the big films and make things which the public will like, whilst not being stand out.

But it's normally the people who peruse their own style as far as they can that get remembered.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
He's brown nosing deeper than Kevin Smith.

Sad that people can't say something positive to someone they admire and call it brown nosing. He's not trying to get promoted or anything
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Could that be a mistranslation? I thought the movie was getting overall positive reviews. I haven't heard anything about it being a "mess".
Velius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much all of Shinkai's movies/shorts have been great to me, so I don't see how this film could be that much of a mess. I'll have to wait to see it for myself, but even if the story/plot is that bad, the visuals would probably make up for it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Actar wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Could that be a mistranslation? I thought the movie was getting overall positive reviews. I haven't heard anything about it being a "mess".

I honestly thought that was meant as a dig at first. And knowing Yamakan, that isn't far-fetched. But after reading the rest of his post, I don't see why he would have started with something like that. And yeah, I have not heard anyone say anything negative about the film yet, so if there are any people doing so, I'm guessing they are just personal friends of Yamakan that don't have much online presence.

On another note, is he still on vacation or whatever? Or did he come back and start doing something else yet?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
"Whatever people have to say about it, they all seem to be saying it's a mess." is a terrible mis-translation here.

Here's the line from the blog:

何書いてもめちゃくちゃ言われるだろうねこれ。

This means (in this context), "People are gonna say all kinds of things (to me), no matter what I write, I bet". I.e. he's prefacing his comments with a sort of self-defacing statement. A less literal translation is "people are gonna bitch at me no matter what I post, but", is kind of what he's getting at.
There's a whole bunch of mistakes with the original translation: missing the "darou ne" which puts the entire sentence as a supposition, mistranslation "mechakucha" as "a mess" when in this usage it's just a slang emphasizer that means "a lot"/"a ton"/"a bunch", and also missing that iwareru is passive causative so referring to something that is done TO the speaker, in this case Yamakan.

looking at some of the responses on 2chan, like "あれ?いつもの炎上商法はどうした?"
"Wait, what happened to your usual flamebait ways"?
people seem to also think his positive response as opposed to being critical as usual is somewhat unusual for him (but that's why he said that no matter what his commentary people would surely still bitch at him about it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2