• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Geneon Titles that will disappear forever!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
Veggie-Trunks wrote:
Great, I have to defend myself now Razz
No, I've not confused anything, I have not even seen the movie of X. Well, I saw a clip and it did make me hate it much more. But I can tell you with confidence that X is the reason I hate CLAMP. I hate CLAMP. I've still managed to get into Tsubasa and I read Chobits before I saw X. X/1999 is right at the bottom of the barrel with Bobobo, Texhnolyze, Key the Metal Idol--->.<

However, I will say that somehow it's managed to become quite popular amongst fans so go ahead and give it a shot if it isn't too much. But don't say I warned you. You'll want to punch babies. Especially with "Episode 0". I mean, wtf?

Wow, I can't believe so many people commented on my comment O.O I really didn't think it'd get that response. It's just my opinion, sorry^^; but nothing in the world would change my mind about X. I've been an avid hater of X for....6 years? Pretty much from the time I really got into anime.

Respectfully, that wasn't very much of a defense. Not that you have to like it, but WHY did you dislike it? Providing reasons for one's opinions tend to provide them with more credibility.
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
I never said others would not like it. What people were saying is that I was saying I hated X because of the movie. I was saying that was not the reason, I have never even seen the movie. I hate the series.

I never expected anyone to change their opinion about X because I, myself, do not plan to either. Please try and read my comment thoroughly before attacking my credibility. I even said that most people like it, meaning that I'm probably alone on the matter as of right now.

I told britannic my opinion of the things on her list, as a passing comment from one fan of anime to the next. This place is full of opinions, and I never once said anything negative about the people who liked X. And psycho 101 did not say anything negative about me, but simply said they did not agree with my opinion. That's called being respectful.

Just like all of you who like X get to say how much you like it and not be attacked, I feel I should be able to give my opinion on it without being attacked as well. My original post just said I would like to talk brit out of buying it and did not go into a large speech about how much I hate it until I saw the comments towards me.

I'm sorry if you find my comment bitchy. I feel a little bitchy right now because I feel like you're trying to suggest something negative about my taste in anime which suggests something negative about you. I don't think I have to explain to you in this post why I hate X. This is not what the post is about. If the post was about X, I would have went into detail, but it isn't. If you'd like to know why I don't like X, please ask me without trying to bully me into an answer.

Now I'm rambling. Back to the topic at hand!

---------

Let me know how Ergo Proxy is. I've been a little hesistant with buying it but I'm still interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
So series like Hellsing Ultimate should be okay, right? I wonder how much they'll be delayed or if they will be delayed. That and Kyo Kara are the only Geneon ones I have righ tnow I think.

Geneon is such an excellent company, it's very sad to see it go. They have put out some of and, in fact, the best animes I've seen. The voice actors they get for their shows are remarkable! Crispin Freeman, Kari Walgren, Johnny Yong Bosch, Kirk Thorton, Yuri Lowenthal, Liam O' Brien, Wendee Lee. Oh, the list just goes on, seriously. Great great company.

I hope this doesn't hurt the anime industry in America. Why is it that a company has gone out of business? I have to wonder if it's because people go out and buy bootlegs or download all of their anime. I've been known to get a bootleg or two but that was before I 1) knew it was a bootleg and 2) realized how much it hurt the industry.

Greg Ayres really opened my eyes at Metrocon. Download and such is hurting anime right from the source: Japan. Companies are closing down because no one is paying for what they've worked so hard on. It's pretty sad, so I've stopped buying bootlegs at all and in fact want to try and replace the ones I have with the actual series boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not trying to insult your taste, I'm just saying that if you're going to buck the common trend and say that a couple of quite popular series aren't worth looking into, you might want to explain what particular qualities you found were not to your liking, as the whole idea of recommending for or against shows to people is to determine whether you ascribe the same importance to various aspects; for example, those who have made comments in favor of watching the series have commented further than simply "because I like it" and raise topics of sympathetic characters and animation quality.

As for Ergo Proxy, it's an excellent series. Perhaps more interesting than the underlying story is the characterization of the leads and their interactions. The dialouge gets a little full of itself at times, but ultimately comes through, and after completing the series and seeing all the revelations, it is worth watching again to further understand what was actually happening and why.
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I just did not feel my comment needed further explination, but I understand where you're coming from. I actually do not like the series as a whole, as well as knowing what goes on in the movie.

My main issue is spoiler[with the deaths of the characters. I just felt like characters were being killed off for no reason, even with the anime being about the end of the world. I also found it ridiculous that they couldn't decide who to kill so they killed off Kamui in the series and killed off Fuma in the movie.

I'm sure some of it is also the fact that my friends shoved it down my throat. But I wouldn't have watched it on my own either way because it just has no redeeming qualities to me. Kamui was the only one I liked, none of the characters really had any traits about them that would make me care for them.

The whole "Episode 0" was like being on crack. I just didn't like it at all. But it's not my taste. It's not the death, because my favorite series ever has everyone but one character survive. I just hate X.

I can say that X is a series I will never finish, whether someone buys me the series or not.]

Sorry for the mis-understanding, btw. I'm a little sensitive I suppose^^; I really love the idea of sharing opinions and all of that so when I feel like I can't do that, it bothers me. But hopefully we can put this behind us.

Thanks for the heads up on Ergo Proxy. I think I will try it out and give it a chance. It sort of felt like a Witch Hunter Robin second coming but I will definitely give it the benefit of the doubt. I'm very open to anime despite the fact that X drives me up the wall, lol.[/spoiler]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope this doesn't hurt the anime industry in America. Why is it that a company has gone out of business? I have to wonder if it's because people go out and buy bootlegs or download all of their anime. I've been known to get a bootleg or two but that was before I 1) knew it was a bootleg and 2) realized how much it hurt the industry.

It's a combination of several reasons, but the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak was that they were going to have ADV take over their distrobution. They layed off a bunch of staff because it was going well, then the deal fell through and they were henceforth screwed. They aren't gone for good though, they'll be back in some compacity later on, but they did take a big fall.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I see, I see. That's good to hear then!
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I don't know if Geneon will really be back. They may hope to be back, but it may not happen.

This may sound pessimistic, but I think that if it ends up taking them more than one year to resume their releases, they shouldn't bother. At that point, too many of their customers will be annoyed with them and boycott them for them to survive. These annoyed customers might buy the resumed titles, but after that they might boycott any new titles Geneon would release. Once a company has performed such an irresponsible act, it's likely to be the death of them in my opinion.

Even surviving in some reduced form such as Kadokawa USA is currently doing may not be viable for Geneon USA anymore (again, assuming they go into hibernation for 1+ years first). Some people will still remember what they did and stay away from anything with their name stamped on the DVD spine. I'm not saying that most people will boycott Geneon, but even if 20% of their potential gross sales are lost due to this phenomenon, they probably could not survive. The anime industry is niche-enough as it is.

I think ADV Manga is facing the same problem right now. It seems that they want to start up again, but I think ADVision is smart and know that they will be heavily boycotted from now on. What ADV Manga did several years ago is essentially the same thing as what Geneon USA is doing now. Even worse, ADV Manga, even after abandoning less profitable titles, continued to produce other new manga titles and that really made me mad. I can safely say that I will boycott ADV Manga for all time because of that, and I've been boycotting ADVision anime DVDs as well to a lesser extent since then too.

Although, now I have to boycott Geneon USA so this kind of sucks. There's almost nothing left if one has to boycott everyone. Smile Time to turn to piracy I guess. Razz
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Boycotting ADV Manga is really kind of pointless and only hurts the fans like me, it's like kicking a dying horse. I want my Gunslinger Girl manga so they can't die just yet. Mad

...but yeah, I really hated them for a while too. Razz
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, they are continuing Gunslinger Girl again so you're in luck! Smile They still haven't continued Jinki:Extend or Desert Coral, my favorite titles though, so screw them! Wink I actually have a couple volumes of Gunslinger Girl too but screw ADV already, I'm not gonna buy the rest because of my boycott. If they continued Jinki and Desert though then I'd finish those, but would aftewards boycott anything else they ever do.

I don't think it's like kicking a dying horse. It's like kicking back a dying horse that once kicked me! Very Happy Or something. Stupid horse, go die. Evil or Very Mad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I know, I'm reading volume 5 later tonight when I've got time. GG is the only manga from ADV I'm reading though.
Sloober

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This may sound pessimistic, but I think that if it ends up taking them more than one year to resume their releases, they shouldn't bother. At that point, too many of their customers will be annoyed with them and boycott them for them to survive. These annoyed customers might buy the resumed titles, but after that they might boycott any new titles Geneon would release. Once a company has performed such an irresponsible act, it's likely to be the death of them in my opinion.

The same reason anime is niche is the same reason it's doubtful they'll be 'boycotted'. I'd still buy from 'em, but then i'm a pretty monetarily supportive anime purchaser. (And geneon makes up about 40% of what i own along with ADV). They're one of the only ones i trust to actually produce a good english cast (however little i watch dub - it depends on who i feel fits the characters better anyways!)

THey will probably have to win some people back, but by no means will it be their end!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Boycotting ADV Manga is really kind of pointless and only hurts the fans like me, it's like kicking a dying horse. I want my Gunslinger Girl manga so they can't die just yet. Mad

...but yeah, I really hated them for a while too. Razz

I've never had a problem with ADV's manga in terms of quality and edits and production value. Their manga to me has always been pretty good. Now their DISTRIBUTION and actually continuing titles they have however....yea that was less then desirable for a while. Hopefully they'll continue getting their acts together. At least until they're done with Gunslinger Girl. Very Happy
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. ADV is a really good company. Viz and Tokyopop rule the manga world however. Dark Horse is definitely worth checking out though.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Sloober wrote:
The same reason anime is niche is the same reason it's doubtful they'll be 'boycotted'. I'd still buy from 'em, but then i'm a pretty monetarily supportive anime purchaser.
I didn't say that everyone would boycott. I said that a few people would. I am definitely one of these people. And to this day I have never downloaded a fansub, I pretty much exclusively watch only what I purchase. It's just that I may change these habits from now on.

Furthermore, it may not take a lot of people boycotting to kill a company. That was the other argument I just made. Even if only 20% of the previous paying customers boycotted, that could easily result in Geneon USA being in the red instead of being in the black. I truly suspect that if Geneon USA abandons the market for more than a year (like what ADV Manga did for their mangas), it might be impossible for them to ever return to the US market, even in a reduced form. As long as the Geneon logo remains on the DVD spine, that is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9