• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation DVD Ranking, September 5-11 [2016-09-13]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Good to see Arslan fairing well in sales. Hopefully continued success will prompt the studio to deliver a proper second season as soon as possible (even though Dust was good).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
^Uhm, Arslan's not doing really well, it didn't reach 3K. But that show's strong suit has never been disc sales, it gets more out of ratings and merch, so hopefully those will compensate so we can get the complete story

Also holy guacamole those TouRabu numbers. Hope this bodes well for the two upcoming anime
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^Uhm, Arslan's not doing really well, it didn't reach 3K. But that show's strong suit has never been disc sales, it gets more out of ratings and merch, so hopefully those will compensate so we can get the complete story

Also holy guacamole those TouRabu numbers. Hope this bodes well for the two upcoming anime
Did I say it was doing "really well"? I said it was fairing well which is considerably different than what you aggrandized my original meaning to be.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
A bit of an unfortunate fate that Legend of Arslan isn't faring so well, even on DVD...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
It's not even fairing close to the lowest form of "well". Those are bad numbers for the combined BD/DVD.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Did I say it was doing "really well"? I said it was fairing well which is considerably different than what you aggrandized my original meaning to be.

I meant it's not really doing well. As in, in reality, it is not doing well at all. It didn't even pass the most forgiving 3K line, which is already a very lenient and dated standard. It's not a Kiznaiver or Sakamoto level flop, but it's still a very poor performance in terms of disc sales (not that it was unexpected, since S1 did about the same)
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:

I meant it's not really doing well. As in, in reality, it is not doing well at all. It didn't even pass the most forgiving 3K line, which is already a very forgiving and dated standard. It's not a Kiznaiver or Sakamoto level flop, but it's still a very poor performance in terms of disc sales (not that it was unexpected, since S1 did about the same)
Oh okay, now that I have some benchmark or numerical value to judge decent selling DVD's by I understand that my first analysis was inaccurate. About how many DVD's does a series usually sell to be considered well performing? Or does it simply vary depending on genre and stuff like that?
Zimba

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
Minions!
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's not even fairing close to the lowest form of "well". Those are bad numbers for the combined BD/DVD.

3k in Wk1 is actually decent, its doing about average.

Eddy564 wrote:

Oh okay, now that I have some benchmark or numerical value to judge decent selling DVD's by I understand that my first analysis was inaccurate. About how many DVD's does a series usually sell to be considered well performing? Or does it simply vary depending on genre and stuff like that?

3k is actually above the mean average in most seasons(so not taking into account disc sales have dropped this year). It'll hit 3.5k~ in the coming weeks, probably.

edit - Spring 2016 is sitting a mean average of 1.7k atm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1