• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A dedicated General Anime Discussion forum?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:41 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Right now the first page of the Anime Forum index has more than eight days of posts on it, for me. If I visit the forum at least once per week I would not miss any new posts because they were pushed off of the first page.
Anybody who visits less frequently should expect to look at more than the first page to see what is new since his last visit.

This is assuming all posters are only interested in the last 8 days of posts 100% of the time. That's not always the case, there are many reasons why even someone who visits a few times a week and pays attention to the different forum icons might have overlooked a thread that is very pertinent to their interests.
Quote:
Allowing necroposting would not reduce the number of threads on the first page.
The difference would be that instead of having a new thread on the first page you would have an old thread that was moved from page 23 to the first page.

In theory (I emphasize in theory), allowing necroposting would cause an old thread to be moved from page 22 instead of 23 because there are fewer threads. I do recognize the difference is quite negligible and insignificant anyway, I'm sorry about even mentioning necroposting in the first place Anime smile + sweatdrop

Good points that you brought up anyway, Touma.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
First, could somebody from ANN tell us if the creation of a new forum is even a possibility?
If not, then this discussion is moot.
Oh wait duh, yes it's impossible. Because it involves going through the entire Anime forum and picking which threads to move and which to put into the new forum. Nevermind Crying or Very sad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
@Past

Well, not impossible but really labor intensive. There are close to 400 pages in the Anime forum.

My problem with the title specific threads is that for those with weekly reviews there are parallel threads in both the Talkback and Anime forums. They provide similar comments and seem to differ only on the posters preference for one forum or the other. Ideally they should be linked together so messages posted in one would show in both in the appropriate order. This would be helpful after the end of the season as it would give someone searching for information on the show access to both sets of comments and links to the weekly reviews.

As with your suggestion, I'm not sure this is possible or it they would want to expend the effort in this direction. I will say that having seen forum and comment areas on other sites with supposedly more up to date software, I'm not impressed and am not looking forward to the changes.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Touma wrote:
First, could somebody from ANN tell us if the creation of a new forum is even a possibility?
If not, then this discussion is moot.
Oh wait duh, yes it's impossible. Because it involves going through the entire Anime forum and picking which threads to move and which to put into the new forum. Nevermind Crying or Very sad

I forgot to comment on that. Therein lies the real endeavor. Creating the section itself is relatively easy. Filling it.....that would take time. IF this idea ever came to fruition I can bet that the admin would only go back so many pages looking for threads that would fit and move them.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Agreed!

Unfortunately I'm really busy right now (TGS), so I'll ask Dan to do it as soon as he has a chance.

Once Dan creates the new (sub?) forum, the moderators can move all the specific title based threads over to the new forum.

-T
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
If this goes forward, perhaps it can be 'balanced' by the removal of the Neon Alley forum, which has been inactive for almost two years and is for a service that is no longer even known by that name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
My problem with the title specific threads is that for those with weekly reviews there are parallel threads in both the Talkback and Anime forums.

When I raised the question of merging the series-related threads here some months ago, the response was that because the postings came from Talkback and Anime the software wouldn't allow all the responses to be fed into a single thread. Is that still true?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
@yuna49

It is probably still true, I hadn't seen or had forgotten your prior inquiry. This does seem odd though. When the moderators move a post or thread to another forum, it is available on the original forum but just doesn't move up. I suspect this might be one of those things that is not so much impossible as it requires more time than can be allocated to it.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Agreed!

Unfortunately I'm really busy right now (TGS), so I'll ask Dan to do it as soon as he has a chance.

Once Dan creates the new (sub?) forum, the moderators can move all the specific title based threads over to the new forum.

-T
Wow, really? I know it is a daunting task with many more pressing matters to attend to, but thank you so much. I hope the result is beneficial and as I envision it, will help increase forum participation and convenience for most users.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

-T

*sigh* Should've just kept my big mouth shut and not given myself more work. Just stay in the back, drink the free wine, eat the canapes, & keep your mouth shut. But noooooo, I had to PM the boss and ask for his opinion. "Good idea minion, now go to your basement and do all the work." *grumble* Stupid canapes weren't even warm anymore. *grumble cheap merlot too grumble* I mean yea, I'd love to help do anything to promote more discussion and activity here. Woooooooo.

Since a sub-forum would probably be overlooked itself, I speak from experience, much like threads past page 2 maybe a new section period would be better. Something inbetween the ANIME and Manga sections. Maybe title one Anime Series & the other Anime General or something like that. I think it would work better that way having it right there in the main section list in the General area, instead of having the new one as a subforum which can be more easily overlooked. My 3 cents. Yes I said 3 cents. My idea so I get an extra cent.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
*sigh* Should've just kept my big mouth shut and not given myself more work. Just stay in the back, drink the free wine, eat the canapes, & keep your mouth shut. But noooooo, I had to PM the boss and ask for his opinion. "Good idea minion, now go to your basement and do all the work."

You get a basement? How very lucky!

I would be in favour of an extra section. I am a member of a forum that already takes a similar approach to formally separating conversations, of which I approve somewhat. It does allow for a neat distinction between rolling commentary and more generic or ad hoc discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
Would it be useful for users to flag (via reports) threads to go in this new forum?
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
I think that the idea is for all of the threads that are listed in the ANN Series Discussion Index to be in one forum, and everything else in the other forum.

That index seems to me to be comprehensive and current, but if anybody knows of threads that need to be added to the index this would probably be a good time to mention it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
That makes it seem like all the series discussion threads should stay where they are, otherwise the links in the Index will all have to be updated too. I imagine the current General Anime forum could just be renamed and given a new description. The new forum, I suppose would be the one that general discussion, questions and other non-title specific stuff gets moved to. Depends how the BBS software works and how the mods want to tackle it, I'm not familiar with it enough to judge either way.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
Yay, organization! The drudgery associated with it isn't always the best, but I am no stranger to drudgery in order to get clean, organized spaces.

And you can keep your messy paws off it, Psycho. I don't trust your ability to move stuff around, you drunk old man. All our luck you'd being aiming for the new forum but would be sending those threads to Timbuktu.

Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4