• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A dedicated General Anime Discussion forum?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Wherever I send them is where they be staying. Twisted Evil Which would be Nepal tyvm. It's also Drunk Old Man-Senpai to you. =p

Dessa wrote:
Would it be useful for users to flag (via reports) threads to go in this new forum?

If/when this happens yes that would be helpful. Just make sure you type in the report that it's for the new section so the mod doesn't waste 15 minutes trying to figure out why in the bloody hell that post got reported heh. I would suggest we only move threads over that are 2 years old or younger. Anything over 2 years with no activity to me is honestly not worth it. We don't need to move every single thread over from the last decade to simply clutter the new area up. I think anything within the last 2 years is a good amount of time to include.

Obviously for those threads that are moved over we will suspend the necroposting rule as well. No point in moving over old threads to promote discussion only to have them be counted as necroposting.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Obviously for those threads that are moved over we will suspend the necroposting rule as well. No point in moving over old threads to promote discussion only to have them be counted as necroposting.

Just remind me to update the Necroposting Rules at the appropriate time.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
According to the cited Necroposting rules, Dedicated series threads never time out. As a consequence it is not an issue. The series discussion index would not be useful if it directed people to threads that could not be posted in.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote

Point noted and accepted.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I think that if you are going to put the series discussion threads in a forum that is separate from the other anime threads then you need to put all of the series discussion threads in that forum, not just the threads with recent activity.
Everything that is currently listed in the series discussion index should be in the new series discussion forum.

That is my opinion, but I cannot rule out the possibility that I am confused about the purpose of creating a new forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
The easiest/neatest/makes most sense method would be this:

1) Create new forum for General Anime Discussion
2) Rename current forum to Anime Series Discussion (by not moving any of these threads, the series index won't be affected).
3) Move the current/most recent non-series threads to the new forum. Older threads can be moved on a more leisurely pace.

You know, if instead of making it an anime series discussion forum, but just a series discussion forum, people could make manga/light novel discussion threads, too, and maybe those would get more than the occasional thread.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
@Dessa

As much as I would like to see additional series discussions on manga and light novels, I don't think it will happen.

Anime series discussions appear to be mostly time dependent. That is people want to discuss specific episodes within a few days of when they come out. The availability of simulcasts in recent years is why this category has expanded and why we are having this discussion. In prior years there was a certain amount of tension between people who were watching fansubs and wanted to discuss new episodes and those content to wait for the legal release.

Manga and light novels don't seem to attract that much "the latest chapter just came out got to discuss it now" attention. While there are undoubtedly some titles that are followed weekly via scanslation, most apparently are content to wait for the legal release. When manga becomes available seems to depend on where you buy it and not everyone reads it the moment they get it home.

As an additional thought, if you combined anime, manga and light novel series discussion in a single forum, some titles would require three separate threads. We really would not want to mix them as we already have a problem with source material spoilers.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
This is (rather tenuously) sort of related to the topic at hand.

I was curious about how long the Anime forum has been around and was a bit surprised to find that it is nearly 15 years old.
I do not know why I never looked back to the beginning before but apparently I did not, or I did and I have forgotten about it.

Anyhow, I spent the last two hours reading some of the oldest threads and found some very interesting, entertaining and informative posts.
The threads about the Answerman columns were in the Anime forum back then and some of them were quite good.
Some of those old posts are still topical, such as Zac's explanation of his review policies. And an early confrontation between GATSU and Zac was interesting.

My point here is to say that whatever happens with the restructuring of the Anime forum I hope that it does not result in those old posts being lost.
I realize that if I miss anything good it is my own fault for ignoring those old posts for so long, but still I hope that we can keep them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
@Touma

I'm fairly sure ANN has an official policy about not deleting such historical threads. It may take awhile to move everything but I don't think anything will be lost.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely suggest make the new section for general anime discussion and not series related. Much easier to simply move those handful of pages over. I would also not combine the anime with manga or light novel at all. While yes those last 2 get much lower traffic they are not anime itself and should have their own section. That being said combing the manga and light novel sections might not be a bad idea. But definitely keep them out of the anime section IMO.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Whelp, it is done.

We now have a "Series Discussion" forum.

And thanks to the Series Discussion Index thread, the hard work of finding which threads are for series discussion was already done; I just had to move all the threads mentioned there in one swift operation.

I haven't moved the "ANN Book Club", "Gundam for Dummies", and "Favorite Universe" threads that were present in the index; I'll leave that decision up to the mods.

For any series discussion thread left in the General Anime forum, mods should move them to the Series Discussion forum and add them to the Index thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I was really confused when topics I had just posted in were suddenly missing, Was making me think they were deleted. but making an area just to them seems like a logical step. Hopefully the others notice that they moved without being too shocked.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure that that people will – eventually – figure it out. Cool
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
I thought that I might also bring to attention that the New Game! series discussion thread is still in the general anime forum, as well as what I am guessing is a bunch of discussion threads made for series next season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
Very minor point, but shouldn't the new forum be called Anime Series Discussion? It might avoid some confusion for new posters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4