• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A dedicated General Anime Discussion forum?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Can we get a sticky or some sort of reminder in the General Anime Discussions forum to notify people of this change? I was digging for the Index thread and couldn't find it until I realized there was a new forum. Since I've been a bit out of touch with the recent events, I almost posted a question regarding the separate forums until I looked in this place and found the answer.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Very major point.....ummmm can the mods please have moderator powers in the new section lol? I went to edit the series discussion thread to add some titles for the upcoming season and noticed well...that I couldn't lol. Seems I, and I assume others, don't have mod powers for the new section. So yea......could we have them oh wise and all knowing sage heh?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
Woooo-hooooo poster party in the new section before the mods get their powers there!!!!! Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Woooo-hooooo poster party in the new section before the mods get their powers there!!!!! Wink

Mods have long memories. That could come back to bite you. Twisted Evil Mad
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote
Well I see my suggestion has come to fruition now. You know the old adage, "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it."

Actually, the whole reasoning behind my motivation to press for this change was based on a thread idea I had for Re:Zero. But the basic idea has kind of been rolling around in my head long before that, I just didn't get around to suggesting it before now.

Anyway I wouldn't want to seem unappreciative to the mods doing all this work while I duck away into lurk mode without a word. So I'll get to posting that thread right away. Either way, I sincerely think the whole site and forums are a little better for it.

I agree with EmbraceMe that there should be a sticky perhaps in both forums summarizing the new section. Maybe a brief blurb with "why?" and to please put your series discussions in the appropriate place.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
I notice that the episode-based threads remain in Talkback while the series-based discussions now live in Series Discussions. I suspect that will be confusing for a while, but I've found the whole division between series and episode discussions pretty hard to deal with since it began. For the series I've followed about half the discussion takes place in each thread, though there is little to distinguish the postings in one thread from the other. While I understand that the episode discussions are supposed to house reactions to the episode reviews, in my experience most people are discussing the episodes themselves with little reference to the reviewer's comments.

I do want to extend my thanks to the moderators for their flexibility though! It must have taken considerable effort to round up all the series threads and move them to a new location.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Ok, the mods should have their mod superpowers back.

Past wrote:
I agree with EmbraceMe that there should be a sticky perhaps in both forums summarizing the new section. Maybe a brief blurb with "why?" and to please put your series discussions in the appropriate place.

That sounds like a good idea. Mods, make it so! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Mods have long memories. That could come back to bite you. Twisted Evil Mad

Some of us also have alcohol induced rage with twisted senses of humor. Twisted Evil

Dan42 wrote:
Ok, the mods should have their mod superpowers back.

Past wrote:

That sounds like a good idea. Mods, make it so! Smile

Yeaaaaaa we have our super powers of grunt work back. Woooohoooo....wait a tic.... Wink
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho101

Thanks for making the sticky. If you don't mind, I have a few suggestions to add to that post so that it provides a bit more information. Something along the lines of providing links and what each forum does now. For example (wording should be changed to match the vision of what the forums now serve):

Quote:
As of [date], the Anime forum will be split into two separate forums -- one for general discussion and the other for series [episode] specific discussions.

The Series Discussion forum will now be used to discuss the episodes of shows, both ongoing and past broadcasts.

The General Anime forum will now be used to discuss all things anime related outside of episodic discussion. For example, you can talk about a show's success(es) or failure(s), merchandise, or recommendation threads.

For any inquiries regarding these changes or requests, please post in this thread.

Additionally, please remember to follow Teh Rules.

Thank you.

Sorry if I'm asking for too much! I just like to be clear on things so I don't end up confused.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
When I first saw the proposal to seperate the anime forum, I was kind of indifferent. I certainly saw the merit in the idea, but it wasn't something that particularly affected me. However, now that I've had the chance to test drive the separate forum over the last few days, I have to say I've really come to appreciate it. It is much easier to find the relevant series discussion threads now and I do like the idea of two very different types of anime threads being in their respective forums. And if the change has the desired effect of increasing the number of general anime threads than so much the better.

So a big thank you to Past for getting the ball rolling and to the ANN peeps who were receptive to the idea and did the work to make it happen.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
@Psycho101

Thanks for making the sticky. If you don't mind, I have a few suggestions to add to that post so that it provides a bit more information. Something along the lines of providing links and what each forum does now. For example (wording should be changed to match the vision of what the forums now serve):

Quote:
As of [date], the Anime forum will be split into two separate forums -- one for general discussion and the other for series [episode] specific discussions.

The Series Discussion forum will now be used to discuss the episodes of shows, both ongoing and past broadcasts.

The General Anime forum will now be used to discuss all things anime related outside of episodic discussion. For example, you can talk about a show's success(es) or failure(s), merchandise, or recommendation threads.

For any inquiries regarding these changes or requests, please post in this thread.

Additionally, please remember to follow Teh Rules.

Thank you.

Sorry if I'm asking for too much! I just like to be clear on things so I don't end up confused.

Didn't see your response until now. A bit more informative post to help reduce any confusion is fine by me. I'll edit it in.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
Can we have the Series Discussion forum added at the 'Forum' header? Else I don't think I'm gonna use it much, it'd require like, at least two more clicks to get to it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4