• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Station Cites Principal's Arrest for Pulling Nymphet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote
Godamnit, is EVERY news thing that happens in ol nihon going to pull an anime?

Quick! Someone go back in time and attempt a horrid-ungodly experiment to fuse five lions and a robot, we might get Voltron Cancled!!!
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:57 am Reply with quote
Why the hell is that 'part II' bit kept separate? There's absolutely nothing there that is remotely 'graphic and disturbing' and there's no reason to do something like that other than trying to stir up retarded drama. Again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:17 am Reply with quote
Who cares about tv stations.

As long sa their are dvd releases, it's all good.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:20 am Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:
Why the hell is that 'part II' bit kept separate? There's absolutely nothing there that is remotely 'graphic and disturbing' and there's no reason to do something like that other than trying to stir up retarded drama. Again.

That was me being overly cautious; the formatting was intended to downplay controversy, and emphatically not to stir it up. The other staffers who are awake at this hour do agree that the article is fine on one page or on two pages though, and so everything is on one page now.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
If we this kind of silliness here in the US there'd nothing on TV at all. But then again maybe with the quality of the programs we have currently it might be a good thing. Wink
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
Who cares about tv stations.

As long sa their are dvd releases, it's all good.
Just as well, this got censor***ed, and it's on the level of Hayate's nonsence.
mskala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw this headline, I thought "Wow, arrested for pulling Nymphet? That's great, at last they're taking freedom of expression seriously!"

Imagine my disappointment.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
mskala wrote:
When I first saw this headline, I thought "Wow, arrested for pulling Nymphet? That's great, at last they're taking freedom of expression seriously!"

Imagine my disappointment.

You took the words right out of my mouth!
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
As someone in another ANN thread once said (I honestly can't remember who it was), this has been one of the craziest years in anime. And as it would seem from this new development, it's only getting better as the year draws to a close. *Note the sarcasm in that last line*
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
megumi's guy wrote:
If we this kind of silliness here in the US there'd nothing on TV at all. But then again maybe with the quality of the programs we have currently it might be a good thing. Wink

Televison censoring, preemptions, and cancellations due to tangentially related real-world events have happened many times in the US. It happened to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Promised Land, and Falcone after the Columbine shootings, several projects including E.R. and a J.C. Chasez concert after Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction, and scores of movies and televsion series after the 2001 terrorist attacks. Whether these were right or wrong decisions is a whole other discussion, but they did happen in the US, too.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who doesn't really get the parallel between the principal trying to pay a 16-year-old for something naughty and a series about a far younger girl who is making inappropriate advances on her teacher? I mean, the ax thing I could understand but there really isn't a parallel here. I'm sticking with my original view that they just wanted an excuse to pull Kodomo no Jikan.

If they were going to claim a real life incident caused the pull, they could have at least cited something involving a child of similar age to Rin. The principal's soliciting a 16-year-old, not an elementary school girl. (At least, I hope she's not still in elementary school at that age.)
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
You know what? I wasn't angry about the School Days/ Higukai pre-emption stuff. I thought it was not inapproprite-- just showing some respect and solace for the incident, given the similarities. Don't want the parents watching the news and then seeing the exact same thing on anime-- that's just too much.

But THIS? is RIDICULOUS. As H as Kodomo no Jikan might be, the link is NOT there, and this real-live incident does NOT have anything the would be overly sensitive about it. Yes, it is shocking, no, it is not something that merits this kind of action.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
As someone who used to play chapparone on school outings for my elementary aged daughter, I will tell you this is right on par with the conversations/ "Oh, my, those goth kids! Aren't the horrible?!" "You see these kids with green hair? I'll never let Ashley do that!"

If your child were in that principal's school, you wouldn't feel uncomfortable?

Does it matter if it's on tv or straight to dvd?
Can you even consider the animators maybe went bit further than the tv station expected?
I know my stupid local tv station never said anything about airing National Geographic specials instead of the cop drama I was trying to watch (One was Invisible Man with David McCollum. Offensive because he was running around naked & invisible? They never said.)

I know after 9/11 Invader Zim vanished obscenely fast. All the tv schedules were messed up-the new season ws delayed as networks scanned everything for something that might offend someone.

I don't know about Japan, but I thought there was something in the TV Guide last time I looked about stations making changes as they wished.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:

Televison censoring, preemptions, and cancellations due to tangentially related real-world events have happened many times in the US. It happened to... scores of movies and television series after the 2001 terrorist attacks. Whether these were right or wrong decisions is a whole other discussion, but they did happen in the US, too.

Transformers: Robots in Disguise comes immediately to mind.

IIRC, whatever US network that was showing Mobile Suit Gundam at the time also used 9/11 as an excuse to pull the show.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm sticking with my original view that they just wanted an excuse to pull Kodomo no Jikan.

I'm also thinking that it was just used as an excuse.

Point the blame at something instead of saying "We didn't want to air it because [insert real reason which may piss people off even more here]"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2