• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Second Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Rockweaver wrote:
this has been refreshing. to feel again the excitement of "i can not wait for next week". This series has restored that. I do hope the author can and will continue to produce new volumes and that the production cast will also keep up on them for the anime. watching Soma grow up has been fun and seeing the basic desire to evolve his cooking still as his focus is refreshing.

Personally, the renewed focus is nice... but I miss the antics of the students the most. Tootsuki Academy is so bizarre that it is fascinating, and make the manga/anime such a great little character study. I honestly think that is what sold me the most with season one, the character antics and interaction that keeps them from being a list of tropes.
The fact that Second Plate has returned to that is MUCH welcome, but also a shame in that we only get three episodes of that (I really hope for another season, I could use some thirds).

Quote:
I would love to see what happens to Erina if she were to have to live at Polar Star. honestly it would be good for her. of course the other students may have different thoughts on that but it would still be fun to watch.
Yeah.... about that....I will not say anything but if you are curious, read the manga's.

Quote:
last thing is watching Soma not become flustered by his failures.

That is one of his defining traits, it is the very thing that gets him to sit down, rethink a dish and keep experimenting. He doesn't simply live with his L, he tries to over come it. This is also the very thing that makes that speech in season one so inflammatory, it's not rocket science to do what he is doing... just determination, the open-mindedness to rethink an approach and the unwillingness to lose.
If most of the student body at Tootsuki Academy acknowledges him and his skill, then that put the student body's efforts into serious question. If Soma can reach the highest by just push alone.... it outright makes the student body look lazy.
Quote:
it is affecting the kitchen staff at Shino's Tokyo and i think in a good way.

But I am a little at a lost to how this trait effects Shino's staff.... would you mind elaborating?

Quote:
i am really ready for next weeks episode to arrive so i can have one more exciting ride along the edge of the knife.

Can I get me some thirds? More would be nice.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Issac Sarrowtail wrote:
Quote:
last thing is watching Soma not become flustered by his failures.

That is one of his defining traits, it is the very thing that gets him to sit down, rethink a dish and keep experimenting. He doesn't simply live with his L, he tries to over come it. This is also the very thing that makes that speech in season one so inflammatory, it's not rocket science to do what he is doing... just determination, the open-mindedness to rethink an approach and the unwillingness to lose.
If most of the student body at Tootsuki Academy acknowledges him and his skill, then that put the student body's efforts into serious question. If Soma can reach the highest by just push alone.... it outright makes the student body look lazy.

i think if you go back to E10 that Isshiki actually said that to Eizan. in the final cook off they are forced to acknowledge Soma and his skills and this will also for them to realize they have not "put forth all effort. have not given the best effort" they have in fact because of the simple act of being at this school become complacent. Soma has not.

Quote:
Quote:
it is affecting the kitchen staff at Shino's Tokyo and i think in a good way.

But I am a little at a lost to how this trait effects Shino's staff.... would you mind elaborating?

the effect is subtle to be sure. he is day one treated politely but that ends on day 1 of the pre open. Able tells him "you suck and are worthless" this is the crossroad for Soma in the kitchen. i suspect from the things able has said that he was treated the same and came close to being crushed. Soma's response is to cut veggies.
day 2 he finished all the prep so he could have time for questions. Chef Lucie is tasked with helping him at this point Soma begins to grow again. The effect on the staff is that he becomes valuable to them. He learns and impresses them. I honestly think that Shinomiya is having real fun with Soma in the kitchen. He listens to everything and you never see his reaction but you do get taken to the back of his head a ear cocked to listen.

In the end of this episode Soma has changed and effected the staff. If only in the respect he has gained from them. Even Able is starting to give grudging respect.

Quote:
Quote:
i am really ready for next weeks episode to arrive so i can have one more exciting ride along the edge of the knife.

Can I get me some thirds? More would be nice.

I truly hope that the author and the producers will agree to another series. This has been one of the best rides of the year for me.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
Is "pre-open" a commonly used term in some dialects of English? In my dialects I've always heard the term "soft open[ing]" used for what they described in this episode, where particular people are invited to eat and so forth (as distinct from "grand opening.")
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Is "pre-open" a commonly used term in some dialects of English? In my dialects I've always heard the term "soft open[ing]" used for what they described in this episode, where particular people are invited to eat and so forth (as distinct from "grand opening.")

you are correct the term is interchangeable.
a grand opening can be several weeks after the actual open.
a pre-open or soft open is a test period used as they mention in the series to test the recipes and staffs ability to meet the needs of the open.
the open is still to a degree the test period staff is still in training but at full speed.
the grand opening is the big event. its glitter and glamor and very highly advertised.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Rockweaver wrote:

i think if you go back to E10 that Isshiki actually said that to Eizan. in the final cook off they are forced to acknowledge Soma and his skills and this will also for them to realize they have not "put forth all effort. have not given the best effort" they have in fact because of the simple act of being at this school become complacent. Soma has not.
It would be the third time that the character has called attention to that.
Prior to the training camp, Isshiki muses to himself on this exact point. Later, while discussing Soma with Jouichirou... he points it out again. It's only in a flashback in the second plate that we learn that Jouichirou agrees with him on that observation, having witnessed Soma's drive personally as he grew up.

Isshiki perceptions on matters are rather sharp, the man has an air of magnificence about him when it comes to that. spoiler[Azami and his group found this out the hard way, with the way that he out manoeuvres them on his way out.]
Quote:

In the end of this episode Soma has changed and effected the staff. If only in the respect he has gained from them. Even Able is starting to give grudging respect.

I am not so sure that I would attribute it to Soma, per se. One of his bigger flaws is that he walks in with false assumptions due to his experience. And Shino's points out a glaring one on top of that, he's concept of the cooking world is limited to a bit beyond what is need for the Yukihira Dinner but nothing more.
He walks in so behind on what he needs to do, that the first day is pretty much a wash. Everything after that is his drive to keep up and adapt with the change in environment, so by the forth day, he is up to speed. Until then the Staff can't really gauge Soma as he isn't really doing much with the day to day operations aside from get better at it each day and try to not slow the kitchen to a crawl.
However, even that is rather impressive.... and that is something that the Staff don't feel shy in telling him once he is up to snuff. But I can't say that he effects the Staff members all that much since he doesn't really give them much aside from answers to his question and open criticism. They are more or less compensating for Soma until he is up to speed. I might be wrong in that, but we'll see how the final ep pans out on that.
Quote:

I truly hope that the author and the producers will agree to another series. This has been one of the best rides of the year for me.

It has, it's been rather consistent through out the season. And from what I know about the manga, after this gets rather juicy on the "plot" end of things.... as I said, I want my thirds.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

When all the bigwigs are meeting and greeting at the beginning, Gotoda says in the background, "Cheers to your eyes" to the head waiter. What the heck does that mean? She seemed uncomfortable about it.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
welp,i gotta say,i got the same vibe as the reviewer about this feeling very final. It seemed like they went out of their way to make sure they took care of as many loose ends as possible to keep it as a self contained finale. which is a shame, as this show i've enjoyed quite more than most of the other show these past seasons.

The last episode itself felt just as rushed as the the first couple of episodes IMO. overall i think this season set out to do what it intended,but feel like it should in a way redeem itself with a third.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I do hope you are wrong at your final review with there being no more anime, since this is pretty much the only decent food anime around now and it for sure deserves a full adaptation though i agree that this season was really fast paced the used around the same amount of chapters for this 13episodse while for 1st season it took 24....
Also the next thing to worry for a next season is that the same thing happend with nisekoi 1st season was 20ep while 2nd 12ep and both are popular and weekly from the same magazine and yet we never got a 3rd season for nisekoi so feels like the same might happen for shokugeki no soma.
For now ill leave aside the manga in hope that they announce a next season in 2017 but if they dont then its pretty certain that there wont be any anime anymore and as for why i believe that is due the material they got though i hear the current arc is long and ongoing but anyway if there are no news at 2017 then i think its over.
Anyway it was a nice ride to the end for sure one of the better anime of the summer Smile
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
i think i have to add my voice also. we need more soma...i enjoyed the ending of this season and the bravado of soma i will take on anyone anytime no worries Smile
the manga may be the only way i can get more soma. i will hope that the US sales of the DVD / Blue Ray excite the publisher and they produce a 3rd season.

thank you for a great ride and i will wait with crossed fingers for a next installment Smile
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
i hear the current arc is long and ongoing but anyway if there are no news at 2017 then i think its over.

No, the current arc is less than 15 chapters, but yes it's ongoing.
I remember season 1 finishing with a "Thank you for watching" and even if it stopped during an arc, it seemed that anime wouldn't returned for a second season, so I don't think the end of season 2 is any indication of no future renewal.
But I surely hope it comes back next year with Kyoukai no Rinne, Berserk, Gintama, Boku no Hero Academia, Shingeki no Kyoujin, Ao no Exorcist, Kuroshitsuji (the movie)...
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I have never hoped that Ms. Rebecca would be more wrong than now. I really need to see another season especially considering whats coming after the Stagiaire. But with no news for 2017 I guess we wont be expecting anything for a good long time. Assuming they dont make any more OVAs at least
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9