• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds 13 Anime Films on Steam

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Is there anyway to watch a Steam movie rental on a TV (without literally connecting your TV to a computer)? I'd love to see Short Peace!
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I would've been all over this if it was to DOWNLOAD. Streaming quality is too subpar to some of these movies...Specifically K-ON! Way too beautiful to not have in bluray quality.

But the page specifies it's in 1080p. Which is Blu-ray quality, is it not?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
I would've been all over this if it was to DOWNLOAD. Streaming quality is too subpar to some of these movies...Specifically K-ON! Way too beautiful to not have in bluray quality.

It is, but generally with streams the image is more compressed and has lower bandwidth. As a result, while the image may technically be 1080p, the video won't be as clear as a bluray. Not to mention, you have to worry about interruptions in the stream, congestion, variable speeds and a number of other factors that can affect playback. In theory, a 1080p stream COULD look as good as a bluray, but in practice, unless you have extremely high speeds that never fluctuate and an excellent digital encode, they bluray almost always looks better.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
It's almost like this was made as a response to the latest Answerman. Way to go Sentai!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
Do they also sell these at digital outlets that have something to do with video, movies, and TV or are they solely at a video game outlet?

Steam seems like a really weird platform to go with unless you've already got like actual movie/tv sites locked down.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Do they also sell these at digital outlets that have something to do with video, movies, and TV or are they solely at a video game outlet?

Steam seems like a really weird platform to go with unless you've already got like actual movie/tv sites locked down.

Yes, Amazon, iTunes, PSN, and others. They are simply expanding their DTO/pay to stream options.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
1080p is the resolution for HD television productions(since these are movies, they'll be weirder and the 1920 will be the important bit). The quality is determined by the bitrate, the amount of data allotted to each frame. Steaming usually uses about a 1.5 Mb/s bitrate; Blu-ray is 30-40 Mb/s. To put it in perspective, I have a streamrip episode that weighs in at 540 MB. I also have a disc rip of an episode that comes in at 4.5 gigabytes. If you've ever seen a blocky stream, you've seen yourself the difference those bits make.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2