• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Underground/Art/Alternative Manga Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Land Stander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
Weird. It doesn't show being released or in stock but Amazon (JP) sent and I received my copy of Midnight Fishermen by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. A way-cool addition to my Tatsumi shelf. Smile
lem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
Land Stander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
It can not be explained. I don't normally pre-order books. Often the release date has little meaning and so I just wait till it is actually in stock. But for some reason I DID preorder this and I pre-got. Inexplicable.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
just a little wrench in the works. not much different from how products and their respective customer reviews are misplaced/mismatched on occasion.

This seems more like a case of a book just not getting the proper Amz JP listing. And I'll guess it's because the book cover is in English. So nothing for the software (or a person better at Japanese than English?) to say oh it needs to be listed here instead.

And you may have pre-ordered it before it was moved, corrected and relisted?
Land Stander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Ganzfeld was a comics anthology that ran for a handful of issues.
Ganzfeld 5 had a number of contributions from Manga alt artists
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Ganzfeld-5-Japanada-Dan-Nadel/dp/158423251X/ref=sr_1_8?s=english-books&ie=UTF8&qid=1475804124&sr=1-8&keywords=The+Ganzfeld

I have not bought it (yet) or even seen them, except for on Amazon.
Is there anyone here who has it and can give a better rundown or description than what is given on Amazon?

"The Ganzfeld returns with a special issue devoted mostly to Canadian and Japanese artists. From Japan, legendary animator and designer Keiichi Tanaami contributes a 20 page section of new work. Cartoonists King Terry, Shigeru Sugiura, Yuichi Yokoyama, and Tanioka all are represented with substantial amounts of their work printed in English for the very first time. This nearly 80- page section will be a manga-lover's delight. Also featured in the Japan section is EYE (from the Boredoms). From Canada, Marc Bell, Julie Doucet, Scott Evans, Marc Connery and Destroyer's Dan Bejar will all be featured. From beyond Japanada, artist Jim Shaw contributes a section of his visionary dream drawings, British illustrator Will Sweeney is featured with a brand new comic story, and the issue is filled out by articles on record cover designer Barney Bubbles (The Damned, Elvis Costello), mushrooms, and Steve Gerber (the creator of Howard the Duck)."
Land Stander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Another publication question maybe no one can answer; I noticed this Yokoyama Yuichi book listed on Amazon JP; https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4908439052/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AN1VRQENFRJN5

Under the description it says "英語”, that is ENGLISH.
I assume it is a miss-classification but if anyone knows for sure please reply.
GSam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
Forgot about this thread for a while. Showa was amazing and one of my highlights for the year, and it's sad to say Mizuki is gone, but I'm sure he'll be haunting us for years to come.

Just finished Cigarette Girl, which had some interesting undertones and definitely subtlety. Unlike Tatsumi, Masahiko appears far less confrontational, tending to focus on the everyday. And yet there's real richness to some of these stories which you understand that Tatsumi himself genuinely appreciated which I am glad to read about given his passing.

It's sad to think many of the greats are no longer with us, but their legacies live on with through their descendants and contemporaries.

I would very much like to read that newly published Susumu Katsumata manga, given I enjoyed Red Snow so much. DMP is also holding a new kickstarter for Kuuki no Soko (Under the Air) which is an excellent choice for those who are a fan of Tezuka's short stories.
Land Stander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to say that the Tezuka Kickstarter for Under the Air has been successful, and you can add on another short story Tezuka collection The Crater. Those two along with Clockwork Apple form an amazing collection of Tezuka shorts, the like of which have never been available before. Oh, there is so much manga goodness lately for lovers of alternative, and classic manga.
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
T3D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Land Stander wrote:
A nice time to celebrate Mizuki Shigeru - with the recent arrival of new Kitaro;

Showa: A History of Japan - 1926~1939
Showa: A History of Japan - 1939~1944
Showa: A History of Japan - 1944~1953
Showa: A History of Japan - 1953~1989

Nonnonba
Onward Towards our Noble Deaths
Hitler

Kitaro (400 pages)
The Birth of Kitaro
Kitaro Meets Nurarihyon (Oct 2016)
Kitaro and the Great Tanuki War (April 2017)
Kitaro’s Strange Adventures (Winter 2017)
Kitaro the Vampire Slayer (Spring 2017)
Kitaro’s Yokai Battles (Fall 2017)
The Trial of Kitaro (Winter 2018)

in addition to those;

* Drawn and Quarterly 25 hosts pages of illustrations plus one cool wordless strip.

GeGeGe no Kitaro published by Kodansha in Japan 3 volumes of bilingual stories, eventually bound to overlap D&Q's line of stories

Finally, in Schodt's Dreamland Japan, there is mention of Tales of Mizuki Shigeru containing 5 non-Kitaro fantasy stories. Lovely book which I was able to track down. It is numbered to 300, so if I have one and Fred Schodt has one, that leave 298 more for the finding.

PS - still holding a torch hoping you'all come back for some sharing and discussion.

Does Tales of Mizuki Shigeru have an ISBN for easier tracking? Trying to find one myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 88 of 88